The Student Room Group

Guys would you date a plus size girl?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jebedee
Not size 18 frame!!! Plus big boned is a complete myth, the range of bone density in all humans is only 3%.

It's not bone density, it's frame size. I have a tiny frame, really little wrists, ankles etc, and I look normal and average at size 6/8. I don't look "skinny". Other people have much larger frames, and are just wider than me, even though they might actually be thinner.

Also while size 18 isn't slim, you don't have to be morbidly obese to be size 18. You can be anything from chubby to huge, depends on the person
Original post by joey11223
This, it's ridiculous, wtf is plus size. I mean are we talking plus size as in curvaceous, because there's a huge difference between a girl with a significant hourglass figure or a pear shape with large hips that makes her "plus size" but who's fairly lean or at least not "fat: otherwise, and a girl who's simply rather fat.

I mean what's plus size, this?

https://s-media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/13/74/fb/1374fbb4fc90acdafab7f1a8d101b119.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/1c/cd/f9/1ccdf97f84eb6ed0f3e9e27d41e9746a.jpg

Or....

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8creuSym41rvu2eso1_500.jpg

^^ I mean she's plus size (and in fact bigger than the slimmest definition of plus size in the industry)

or are we talking....

https://s-media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/83/06/b9/8306b966b4df2c9a73ec5f535c755036.jpg

Anyway vague definitions aside, I lean towards "bigger" girls I suppose, but the girl in my last link would be too chubby for me. I like something to hold on to, a girl of around my height (5ft 7") being size 12-16 (I appreciate that leaves some scope), depending on body shape, would probably be my preferential range. Out of those, link 3 would probably be a decent example.

...omg its Tyrion again! lmao didn't see till I'd almost finished my reply, swear I'm not quote stalking you lol.

my body type is similar to the first photo and I've been told I should be ashamed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by marinaim
I would imagine it's because someone who tends to be too lazy to look after themselves is unlikely to be a good relationship partner for most people.

Inb4 generalising and stereotyping; that's what the question demands yet again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, firstly overweight girls frequently have partners and, contrary to the prevailing view here, it is not mutually exclusive with being attractive. Secondly, the characterisation of 'being to lazy to look after yourself' is simplistic nonsense. Hunger is a very powerful drive, not dissimilar to sex drive, and the reasons for it getting out of balance are complex and still poorly understood.
Original post by awe
Posting again because people are confused, again.

Plus-size starts at size twelve. I.e, two sizes left than the UK's average. Size twelve is absolutely not 'fat'. Don't mix the two up.

This.

Some people on here are just answering "no", because they assume plus size = fat :rolleyes:
Reply 104
Original post by Zarek
So, firstly overweight girls frequently have partners and, contrary to the prevailing view here, it is not mutually exclusive with being attractive. Secondly, the characterisation of 'being to lazy to look after yourself' is simplistic nonsense. Hunger is a very powerful drive, not dissimilar to sex drive, and the reasons for it getting out of balance are complex and still poorly understood.

tralalala and also many don't.
As I said that was generalising and so obviously not valid all the time.
And I would say it does take away from attractiveness 90% of the time, and also that wasn't even in my original post :s
In addition, argument I have only heard used by those who are say 50 stone and dying...
It isn't that difficult sorry. Yes hunger is powerful, however gorging is not, I like food but if I'm 200pounds I have other motivations like I dunno living?
Original post by donutaud15
my body type is similar to the first photo and I've been told I should be ashamed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the girl in the first photo has a lovely firgure

I could have a great time with her :smile:
Original post by bloomblaze
I think the girl in the first photo has a lovely firgure

I could have a great time with her :smile:

shame a lot of people don't think like you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a size 8/10 with a little bit of a belly and chunky legs but I run 3 times a week and am looking at training for next year's London marathon... Yet my friend is the same height, does no exercise at all but is a size 14, because all her weight is on her belly and her legs are super slim. When clothed we look pretty much the same size.

Women carry their weight in different places and that affects whether they look good slightly larger or not.
I'll be really honest with this. I'm not very fussy with personal attributes! -beggars can't be choosers! But it would put me off if a girl had a body fat above 25 or 30%.
Reply 109
I'm not going to answer the OP's question directly, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

I think plus size is a very vague way to describe a woman's size. Some say it means fat. I guess whenever I hear the phrase, I associate it with modelling. Plus size models are larger than your standard catwalk or catalogue model.

But I think that often plus size models tend to be quite 'normal' looking ie. they might not have incredibly skinny and long legs, may have slightly larger thighs and arms, more fat around the tummy etc. I had a quick look on the ASOS website. They have a plus size range. Here's 3 'plus size' models for example:

I do think they are wearing relatively flattering dresses, or at least, they attempt to hide their imperfections well. But I don't think many guys would think they were too fat for them to consider dating. Maybe. Yet, plus size could just be a nice way of describing someone much larger than these models.
Reply 110
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It's not bone density, it's frame size. I have a tiny frame, really little wrists, ankles etc, and I look normal and average at size 6/8. I don't look "skinny". Other people have much larger frames, and are just wider than me, even though they might actually be thinner.

Also while size 18 isn't slim, you don't have to be morbidly obese to be size 18. You can be anything from chubby to huge, depends on the person

Sorry but there is no way someone who is on anything near a sensible diet would be size 18. How big does somebody have to be before you will consider that person fat?
What size is plus size? Like seriously, people throw around the term "plus size" around, but what size constitutes as plus size?
Original post by Jebedee
Sorry but there is no way someone who is on anything near a sensible diet would be size 18. How big does somebody have to be before you will consider that person fat?

I have a sensible diet and I'm a size 16-18 :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
No, because it isn't attractive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114

Posted from TSR Mobile

No offence, but so you say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have donut in your name so understand my scepticism! :biggrin:
Reply 116
Before any fat people want sympathy, try being ugly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jebedee
You have donut in your name so understand my scepticism! :biggrin:

I actually do hate donuts. I also have 15 in my name but doesn't mean I'm 15. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
No offence, but so you say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was a size 12 and my diet didn't change. My health did though and with that variety of medicines that made me put on weight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 119
I actually do hate donuts. I also have 15 in my name but doesn't mean I'm 15. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still don't believe you, only an extended time of abusing your body will bring you to size 16/18.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending