The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 Ext. Diploma - Animal Management

Heyyyy

Due to loads of reasons I ended up quitting all my A Levels at college this year and thought that was it for me in terms of education (i.e. just wanted to work), but after talking with some Youth Support person we ended up on the topic of animals and how it was probably the only interest I've managed to keep over the years and etc etc till we got to point of discussing college course animal management.

I've been on a tour of the college which is hosting the course and asked qs about it etc, but I was just wondering if there's anyone on here who's done this course and what were your opinions of it? :smile:

Also, if anyone got into uni with a btec in this course I'd love to hear from you too. Cheers!!
Reply 1
Hi, I'm currently finishing this course now. I'm going to study Animal Behaviour at the University of Lincoln but also got all my other offers for zoology, zoo biology and another animal behaviour course. Most places take btec now but you'll at need at least around DMM to do so. I'm predicted D*D*D*. You can do a higher diploma or degrees in conservation, zoology, animal behaviour, zoo management, marine biology and loads more.

I suggest you get applying for some volunteer work as well in as many places as possible.

Hope this helps
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Geo21
Hi, I'm currently finishing this course now. I'm going to study Animal Behaviour at the University of Lincoln but also got all my other offers for zoology, zoo biology and another animal behaviour course. Most places take btec now but you'll at need at least around DMM to do so. I'm predicted D*D*D*. You can do a higher diploma or degrees in conservation, zoology, animal behaviour, zoo management, marine biology and loads more.

I suggest you get applying for some volunteer work as well in as many places as possible.

Hope this helps

Hi, I'm starting the animal management level 3 ext diploma in September, and I want to progress into Veterinary Nursing afterwards at university. would I be able to get onto the veterinary nursing course with this BTEC? I already have 2 a-levels at grade B too. thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ashkelsss
Hi, I'm starting the animal management level 3 ext diploma in September, and I want to progress into Veterinary Nursing afterwards at university. would I be able to get onto the veterinary nursing course with this BTEC? I already have 2 a-levels at grade B too. thank you :smile:

Easily. Veterinary nursing doesn't even really expect top marks for that BTEC
is this at The Manchester College in Northenden :smile:
I've just finished my first year of the Ext. Dip in Animal Management. I achieved a Distinction overall (it's with city and guilds which is equivalent to two distinctions of other BTEC providers). It's a perfectly good qualification which can lead to higher education. Veterinary nursing degrees (especially for the foundation degree) probably ask for 180-280 tariff points. I know the college i'm with are asking for just 120 points for the degree (Duchy college)! I have my heart set on Nottingham Trent University, their requirements are 180 points with a Merit in three modules to include - Animal Biology, Anatomy & Physiology and also one other. I achieved a distinction in 7 modules and a merit in two others and am really hoping for a place on their course!!

In addition, experience is everything with vocational courses and would recommend at least 2 weeks of work experience in a vet practice alone. I have one week so far and will be working there on a one-day-a-week basis which will give me a total of 6 weeks worth of experience by next June, I also have eight days at a zoo and 1 years worth of experience working in a reptile and aquatic pet shop.

Get some experience on your side and you will be fine with the extended diploma. I did my AS levels but dropped out to do the diploma because my biology lessons focused entirely on plants with one section about the heart. It was awful and I felt as though I didn't get anything out of it. I ended up losing interest with botany so didn't even try. I tried in my other AS levels and received two C's but I am very glad I did the diploma! I am looking forward to my next step at university, in 2015!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending