The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Crikey, this thread!

EVERYONE - OP does not think one person's blue badge is better than the other. They are simply acknowledging that some people abuse the blue badges when they don't need them, i.e NOT the intended user of the blue badge. This is absolutely true and is a problem in busy areas. For example say Tom needs the badge, it is his badge, but his carers uses his badge to park in the bay when they go to the shops for Tom but not with Tom. This is abusing the badge, and it is wrong. If Tom's carer used the blue badge to take Tom to the shops, and Tom went inside to buy his bananas whilst the carer waited in the car, in the bay, with the blue badge, that is fine. OP is not saying that people with invisible disabilities do not deserve the blue badge... I think...

You're all reacting to statements that aren't even suggested by other people. It's so exasperating.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by awe
No, I definitely agree! Disability is certainly not always visible. I don't think the OP is quite suggesting that 'my blue badge is more important than yours'... there's more of a miscommunication issue here tbh.

quoting you again;

even though I've provided a link to the government guidelines they seem to think I'm ignorant as to the reasons why they are issued and I'm being too judgmental/ignorant and not giving them benefit of doubt ...

to repeat, your answer was the one of the few decent ones
Reply 42
Original post by JeremyClarkson1
quoting you again;

even though I've provided a link to the government guidelines they seem to think I'm ignorant as to the reasons why they are issued and I'm being too judgmental/ignorant and not giving them benefit of doubt ...

to repeat, your answer was the one of the few decent ones

No, you're all tripping up on each others' words. You haven't been clear and they have misunderstood, and in posting their reaction to the misunderstandings you haven't corrected the actual core of that misunderstanding.

We can all get over it now, eh.
Reply 43
wow lol

I never said that or even inferred it ...

often I see people use the blue badge but aren't disabled or transporting someone who is

I was reacting directly to this. How do you know those people aren't disabled or transporting someone who is? Do you know them personally? If so, you should do something about it, report it if it can be reported. If not, then how do you know? You can't possibly know for sure - hence my point.
Original post by Kaeseia
I was reacting directly to this. How do you know those people aren't disabled or transporting someone who is? Do you know them personally? If so, you should do something about it, report it if it can be reported. If not, then how do you know? You can't possibly know for sure - hence my point.

that's a different question/issue !!!

you take steps to ensure, like awe who got the point. you take things into consideration

jeez
Reply 45
that's a different question/issue !!!

you take steps to ensure, like awe who got the point. you take things into consideration

jeez

I have absolutely nothing against forcing people incorrectly using disability parking to leave (including using a blue badge when they don't own it/aren't transporting the person it belongs to or simply just parking there with no sort of badge) but it's a bit judgemental to just assume. Carers and people with invisible disabilities can have blue badges... disabilities that require doctors to diagnose, so I'm not really sure how you can somehow just know when someone is using a blue badge who doesn't deserve it is my point. If I knew outright someone was misusing a blue badge/disability parking I'd do what I could to stop it.

If a carer/someone else using the car has a blue badge on display and uses the disability parking when it's not necessary then that's just ****ed up too, they should at least park normally if they insist on keeping it on display.
Not really much that can be done about this one, you can't go restricting the rules on blue badges, which are at the moment a pretty decent bastion of equality rather than persecution. And there's only a certain amount of spaces shops can physically provide. At least home delivery is a thing and one which I imagine has been a godsend for disabled/old people.
Original post by Dez
Unless the rules have changed recently I'm wholly certain that this isn't the case. Some carers are allowed blue badges, for example.

Because of my brothers disability, apparently, I'd be allowed a "blue badge" for three cars, (when my mum gets that sorted out) BUT, the doctors encourage him to walk, so there's no way Im going to park in a disabled bay, unless a) he's there and b) thre's no parking spaces, because the doctors are trying to make him walk. Cue

"But Im tired"
That annoys me very bad
Reply 49
how do you deal with the Situation?

often I see people use the blue badge but aren't disabled or transporting someone who is

whilst I need to park further for my mother who is

A lot of disabilities are not visible. My father (69) is a blue badge holder because he has been classed as disabled yet people have come up to him and said he isn't because he walks pretty normally, has no wheelchair or zimmer frame. He does however have back problems, severe arthritis and two replaced hips due to having hip problems. The reason he walks so well is because he goes to the gym a lot to keep up his fitness so he looks well physically but has a lot of pain and mobility problems. People have blue badges for a reason, sometimes the reason isn't obvious so going up to someone and confronting them is completely unfair because they might just have a non-visible disability.

Of course there are people who do abuse the system or just part in the disabled spot without a badge at all and those people do anger me and are being incredibly selfish.
(edited 10 years ago)
you can only have a blue badge if you have difficulty with mobility

check the government pages for verifications

if they are walking freely without aid / carrying heavy bags etc

My friend has a blue badge. Some days they could run a mile the next they can't get out of bed. What is to say you haven't caught them on a good day. Not all disabilities are constant.
My sister had a disabled bus pass even though she's physically very healthy (she has Asperger's syndrome).

I don't think she should have been entitled to it, personally. :dontknow:
Original post by DotDotCurve
My friend has a blue badge. Some days they could run a mile the next they can't get out of bed. What is to say you haven't caught them on a good day. Not all disabilities are constant.

again, another one to pick me on something I never said / inferred

why are you acting like fraud doesn't exist

when I said "not disabled" I thought it was taken as read that I meant, someone who is not 100pc not entitled to it, and reasonable steps have been taken to ascertain this, which might include asking them 'are you waiting for someone' if theres no other vacant disabled bays

I seriously didn't imagine this sort of reaction, despite having posted links to gov links which should suggested that I was aware that there are a myriad reasons for having a blue badge, some obvious, some not
Reply 53
Original post by flyyoufools
Hm, that sucks :/ My mum tried to get a blue badge after breaking both the bones in her leg and screwing up her ankle. One year on the leg is healed but there's permanent damage to the ankle meaning she still has to struggle to walk with a walking stick but she's not eligible for a badge because she can technically walk the distance required, just that she struggles. Luckily we're in a small town where the places she visits most just let her use them anyway because they get it's bad and they're usually empty anyway.

I'd say take the license number and report it as something for them to look into OR go and talk to them if they look approachable, they might have an explanation.

Unless it's a council owned carpark, you can actually park in them anyway.
In private carparks they are, from a legal point of view, just lines painted on the ground that don't mean anything.
Reply 54
Original post by JC.
Unless it's a council owned carpark, you can actually park in them anyway.
In private carparks they are, from a legal point of view, just lines painted on the ground that don't mean anything.

The owner of the car park could still fine you, it's their land after all. And if it's a supermarket or whatever they could ban you as well if they liked.
Reply 55
Original post by Dez
The owner of the car park could still fine you, it's their land after all. And if it's a supermarket or whatever they could ban you as well if they liked.

No they can't.
Reply 56
Original post by JC.
No they can't.

Of course they can. Well, bill you I suppose. Their land, their rules, if you break the agreement of where you can park then they have every right to send you an invoice.
Reply 57
Original post by Dez
Of course they can. Well, bill you I suppose. Their land, their rules, if you break the agreement of where you can park then they have every right to send you an invoice.

Sorry but you're completely wrong.
They can send you whatever they like - doesn't mean it's enforceable in the slightest.
Only council issued fines are enforceable.
The most a private company can take you to court for is demonstrable actual losses.
Reply 58
Original post by JC.
Sorry but you're completely wrong.
They can send you whatever they like - doesn't mean it's enforceable in the slightest.
Only council issued fines are enforceable.
The most a private company can take you to court for is demonstrable actual losses.

Pretty sure parking violations would count as breach of contract under most circumstances. Can't say I've read up on many court cases regarding parking tickets though.
Reply 59
Original post by Dez
Pretty sure parking violations would count as breach of contract under most circumstances. Can't say I've read up on many court cases regarding parking tickets though.

What contract?

You've never had a parking ticket, have you? :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending