The Student Room Group

Anyone else have bad eyesight?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mmaryam
My left eye is -7.75. My right eye is -8.25. Now thats two people.

Funnily enough, i hate wearing glasses and contacts are not an option as i faint whenever i've tried wearing them. So i go outside without being able to see anything clearly at all. Not even my own feet.

I only wear glasses in the classroom or at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How? Surely you can't see without glasses and almost impossible to go about with your daily activities without glasses??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was first prescribed glasses relatively recently - about 3 years ago. My prescription to date is something along the lines of -2.75 on one eye and +0.25 in the other eye... basically one of my eyes is quite weak (technically a lazy eye but not a noticeable one) and the other is normal.

It's funny because whenever my friends (who have prescriptions that are way worse, -4.25, -6 etc) try on my glasses they find it way too strong! I guess it's because the two lenses are so different. Anyway, I only wear my glasses when I'm reading and I never wear them outside :wink:
Reply 62
Original post by LonelyPlanet
How? Surely you can't see without glasses and almost impossible to go about with your daily activities without glasses??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah... I don't know how i do it really. My days consist of school and home anyways so i usually wear glasses anyways. I don't wear glasses when i go out shopping or to restaurants or out in public in general.

And i can't even see the face of a person who's standing less than a metre away from me. To conclude, my life is a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My vision goes in and out in my right eye. I go to a regular physician.
Original post by mmaryam

Funnily enough, i hate wearing glasses and contacts are not an option as i faint whenever i've tried wearing them. So i go outside without being able to see anything clearly at all. Not even my own feet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you walking around with a guide? How possibly can you function on a night out or movies?
People are shocked that I can function well without glasses but your vision is twice as bad as mine.
Original post by OU Student
Moved to Health.

Been wearing glasses since I was 2 / 3 years old. No idea what my prescription is now. I am lucky if I can read the 5th line of the eye chart with my left eye, and the 2nd line with my right eye, corrected.

Oh, and to make it slightly more fun, I'm colourblind.
Are you light sensitive too?
Original post by mmaryam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you telling me that you leave the house without vision correction? If so and at that level, you have been incredibly lucky not to have been run over !

Really, take it from me who has a similar level of myopia,,get those contacts and all will be just fab..
Original post by xoflower
Glasses at home. I look gross in them.
Contacts when out. Even though they are annoying.

My eyesight is so bad... :frown:

Come come now, im sure you dont. Specs have become so trendy and fashionable now. I think a pair of trendy specs can look great..be brave,post pic..
This. Especially when it's a close friend you can't recognise.:redface: It wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't happen again 5 days later.:rolleyes:

My friends know that I'm blind without glasses so they are not angry with me for not recognizing them. Fellow students on the other hand are, future optometrists hate patients like me.
(edited 9 years ago)
The screw and lens came out of mine. I had no glasses for a few days. Was a right pain. Because of how small the screw is, it's kind of difficult to put it back in.

I need glasses to fix glasses...XD
I have around -3.25 and astigmatism of -1.25, in addition to that I have eye-fatigue problems and have to wear a different prescription (a weaker one) for computer and reading).
Most of the day I won't wear glasses, unless I have to see things in the distance or small things or need to preform an eye-exam on a patient.
I wear contacts sometimes, mostly for night outs and sports. I also have a huge problem with seeing at night (that's how my vision problems started in the first place).
When I was 10 I noticed that at night I see worse then my friends and my brother. When I was 13 I started having problem seeing the board from the back of the class.
Original post by mmaryam
Yeah... I don't know how i do it really. My days consist of school and home anyways so i usually wear glasses anyways. I don't wear glasses when i go out shopping or to restaurants or out in public in general.

And i can't even see the face of a person who's standing less than a metre away from me. To conclude, my life is a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should wear glasses/contacts then.
I can't imagine going on about life without glasses with -7/-8.
I'd say anything from -4 onwards requires glasses for everything.
-4 in my right eye and -3.5 in m left :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kathy89
Are you light sensitive too?

Yes I am. Bizarrely, I only started having troubles with light sensitivity after sustaining a head injury. No problems until then.
Yes I am. Bizarrely, I only started having troubles with light sensitivity after sustaining a head injury. No problems until then.
I thought you have that rare condition only about 100 girls around the world have. Usually girls are not colorblind but complete colorblindness with nearsightedness and extreme light sensitivity is a condition which name I forgot.... shame of me. ..
Original post by Kathy89
I thought you have that rare condition only about 100 girls around the world have. Usually girls are not colorblind but complete colorblindness with nearsightedness and extreme light sensitivity is a condition which name I forgot.... shame of me. ..

I have Nystagmus and Optic Atrophy. People with OA do have problems with colourblindness and light sensitivity. But according to a consultant I once saw, people with light sensitivity don't always have an underlying serious medical condition.
I have Nystagmus and Optic Atrophy. People with OA do have problems with colourblindness and light sensitivity. But according to a consultant I once saw, people with light sensitivity don't always have an underlying serious medical condition.

Yes {was one of my guess later}... and very low visual acuity too. And people with Nystagmus have low visual acuity too.
Is it getting worse or it is stable?
Original post by Kathy89
Yes {was one of my guess later}... and very low visual acuity too. And people with Nystagmus have low visual acuity too.
Is it getting worse or it is stable?

My left eye appears to be stable. My right eye doesn't seem to be as stable. But, as you may know, it's a difficult to know whether it's stable. I've done the eye chart where I've been 6/6 in my left eye and the next week, I'm nearer 6/18. It was something like 6/12 and 6/7.5 last time.
My left eye appears to be stable. My right eye doesn't seem to be as stable. But, as you may know, it's a difficult to know whether it's stable. I've done the eye chart where I've been 6/6 in my left eye and the next week, I'm nearer 6/18. It was something like 6/12 and 6/7.5 last time.

So the acuity loss is something new. When were you diagnosed?
I'm pretty short-sighted but I don't think I'm as bad as 7 or whatever, I think I remember seeing 3/4 on the prescription paper. I can't watch TV without my glasses or use the computer and people's faces aren't clear unless they are right in front of me but aside from that I can still move about and make out what everything is without my glasses.

Quick Reply

Latest