The Student Room Group

offer from University that I don't really like, should I take it any way??

Ok, I know that most of people will don't understand how I can be undecided, as a mature student I've got an offer to study on University in London. I don't want to say which one, but it's really good and people really like this Uni. The only problem is that this is in London. Again for some of you will be awesome for me it's a hell. I've been today there and after one day I've got really big head ache. I don't really like London as this is too busy, too loud, and with too much CO2 IMO (I've got asthma). The University is ok, but city is not. I know also that in next year when I will finish all my A levels (In 2007 I had AAB), that I am doing once again, I will have more offers. . From Universities that I like. In much quieter areas, I have received the offer really late and I don't know if I will receive student finance on time, I will need to apply for this now. Will I used to London, should I wait another year?? But I am 30 already and every year I am a year older. What to do??
I think I would wait the extra year if I were you. There's no point in spending the next three years stressed and unhappy. 30 isn't so old, really: you still have a long career ahead of you, and studying at university should get easier as your children get older too.
3 years is a long time to spend in a city you don't like and that makes you ill. Apply through clearing for somewhere else?

You should be able to apply for student finance without an offer and then turn down any clearing offer if you don't go.
I know how you feel, I'm also going to a university in London - I love the course but I hate the city. If I could do the same course anywhere else then I would. You need to decide whether or not your chosen course is worth living in a city you hate. If it isn't then don't go - waiting one more year isn't going to make a difference.
Wait 100% I would wait.
Hi
I will go today on College to speak with my teacher. I know that I am old enough to make my own decision, but her opinion is for me very important. Actually I had a few teachers in this year, but I like her as a person and she is a professor of subject that I want to study.
Original post by Samual
I know how you feel, I'm also going to a university in London - I love the course but I hate the city. If I could do the same course anywhere else then I would. You need to decide whether or not your chosen course is worth living in a city you hate. If it isn't then don't go - waiting one more year isn't going to make a difference.

No, my subject is really popular on Universities and it's a lot of places that has this course in offer. But I think that my heart is also saying me to wait. Only as a mature student situation is more complicated than when you are a teenager. That's it.
Thank you everyone for your support.
Original post by parentlurker
3 years is a long time to spend in a city you don't like and that makes you ill. Apply through clearing for somewhere else?
You should be able to apply for student finance without an offer and then turn down any clearing offer if you don't go.

No, I actually didn't look for Uni this September, I was on Open Day and situation just appeared from nowhere. Hence I still haven't completed application on UCAS.
Original post by MatureIsGood:))
No, my subject is really popular on Universities and it's a lot of places that has this course in offer. But I think that my heart is also saying me to wait. Only as a mature student situation is more complicated than when you are a teenager. That's it.
Thank you everyone for your support. .

I do not see why being a mature student would make your case more complicated. You don't want to live in London, you could go to another university outside of London - seems pretty clear to me. You are lucky that you have the choice.
Lots of people wouldn't want to go to university in London. It's nothing to worry about, just go to university somewhere else that you would like to spend 3 years.
I will go there:smile: Sometimes is better to close eyes on the city and look what's the University is like, and how they treat students. I willn't happy with the city but I will happy with this University and I will happy to study there
I will go there:smile: Sometimes is better to close eyes on the city and look what's the University is like, and how they treat students. I willn't happy with the city but I will happy with this University and I will happy to study there

I really would not do that dude go to a uni outside London I have a friend who went to a uni and hated the location he dropped out after a term because he disliked the town so much. Really this is not wise
Ok, I know that most of people will don't understand how I can be undecided, as a mature student I've got an offer to study on University in London. I don't want to say which one, but it's really good and people really like this Uni. The only problem is that this is in London. Again for some of you will be awesome for me it's a hell. I've been today there and after one day I've got really big head ache. I don't really like London as this is too busy, too loud, and with too much CO2 IMO (I've got asthma). The University is ok, but city is not. I know also that in next year when I will finish all my A levels (In 2007 I had AAB), that I am doing once again, I will have more offers. . From Universities that I like. In much quieter areas, I have received the offer really late and I don't know if I will receive student finance on time, I will need to apply for this now. Will I used to London, should I wait another year?? But I am 30 already and every year I am a year older. What to do??

As someone who recently took a PhD in London despite hating the city with a passion, I think I'd take it. Its nowhere near as bad as I expected, especially if you live a bit further out. Where I live is lovely :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending