The Student Room Group

Major university problem.Please help

Hello,
I am 21 year old female who has recently finished her first year in psychology. To go straight to t he point i am not enjoying my course at all.I failed to do an extended essay which was a full module and have to re-sit another module which i have failed. Like i've said i am not enjoying my course and it didn't turn out the way i expected it to be.I can't imagine myself doing it for another 2 years and i am very very confused as to what to do with my life. Other people at this age are graduating and i still don't know what to do with my life. This is my second attempt at uni and that frustrates me even more. I was previously doing a law course which i did not enjoy and decided to take a year out to see what i am going to do.. What should i do?I feel like a failure! Please suggest something..
Hi. First of all i want to start off by saying what you're going through is perfectly normal and you shouldn't stress out too much. No one has life figured out, even those who have graduated. I want to ask a few questions just before i suggest anything; what do you not like about psychology? And what uni do you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Chevy Wood
Hi. First of all i want to start off by saying what you're going through is perfectly normal and you shouldn't stress out too much. No one has life figured out, even those who have graduated. I want to ask a few questions just before i suggest anything; what do you not like about psychology? And what uni do you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello,
It is very experimentally based. You make a hypothesis and expect it to fit everyone.On the top of that you try to control all the extraneous variables. So basically cutting off all the differences just to prove your claim. It is like trying to fit all the sorts of people in one basked.Not possible.Everyone is different and to me that doesn't sound like psychology.Instead to me psychology were those exact differences found in all people! I expected to learn more about how people THINK , how they feel instead of learning how we process our thoughts and which part of the brain they go to. Can you see the difference?I expected to learn something about myself and the world around me.. I instead learnt about my ears and tongue. I am studying at Goldsmiths, University of london. Like i've stated i don't know whether to continue or drop out since this is my second go at university.
Original post by cstiana
Hello,
It is very experimentally based. You make a hypothesis and expect it to fit everyone.On the top of that you try to control all the extraneous variables. So basically cutting off all the differences just to prove your claim. It is like trying to fit all the sorts of people in one basked.Not possible.Everyone is different and to me that doesn't sound like psychology.Instead to me psychology were those exact differences found in all people! I expected to learn more about how people THINK , how they feel instead of learning how we process our thoughts and which part of the brain they go to. Can you see the difference?I expected to learn something about myself and the world around me.. I instead learnt about my ears and tongue. I am studying at Goldsmiths, University of london. Like i've stated i don't know whether to continue or drop out since this is my second go at university.

See no offence to you, but this is what annoys me, people have completely the wrong idea of what psychology is. And honestly, don't worry I honestly think about 40% of psychology undergraduates think the same. So many people were incredibly disappointed by our course.

What you are saying about hypothesis testing and extraneous variables isn't a criticism of Psychology it's a criticism of the scientific method. Can you honestly not see the importance of it in research? If psychology didn't adopt that method it would be completely pointless.

It sounds like you had an idealised, romantic notion of what psychology is all about, but it's a science. It's a science about the brain, and the mind, and behaviour yeah, but it's still a science. I feel like people should do more research into psychology before taking it on as a course, but believe me, it's not just you. Is there any chance you can transfer courses?
(edited 9 years ago)
And I honestly don't understand what you mean by 'controlling for extraneous variables to cut off all the differences to prove a claim'? How does controlling for intelligence for example, wrongly help prove a claim?
Reply 5
Original post by TolerantBeing
And I honestly don't understand what you mean by 'controlling for extraneous variables to cut off all the differences to prove a claim'? How does controlling for intelligence for example, wrongly help prove a claim?

I am Greek. I didn't have any a-levels therefore no background on how psychology is conducted. I did my research all the research i could but how much more can be done when you are oceans away? I understand your approach and you seem to love psychology but not all of us like the scientific way. No there is not a way to transfer courses as i will have to start over in case i decide to.

Quick Reply

Latest