The Student Room Group

Can't afford gym. Need to exercise - help.

I'm 18 and yes I have a part time job, but I can't afford gym right now since I have other more pressing costs (i'd rather not go into them) Now moving on...

My body fat percentage is rather low I don't have much fat on me (rather skinny)

I have a chin up bar at my local park.
I have got dumbbells that go up to 20kg,
but i've been told not to do isolation exercises or something like that, else i'll **** up my posture and elbows.

Can someone recommend which body weight and dumbbell exercises I should do
and how often I should do them.

I can then look them up on youtube
(but there are loads on youtube- but i've been told many exercises are useless like crunches - so i'm asking you guys instead)

Scroll to see replies

What are your goals?
Presumably you're after mass-gaining, and while it's possible just with body-weight and those dumbbells it won't be for very long (especially if you're already fairly strong).

Pull-ups, pistol squats (while holding dumbbells, if you can), weighted pushups, standing dumbbell shoulder press, all good options.

Isolation exercises won't mess you up unless you do too much on a single muscle. At the start, though, compound exercises will do more for you.
Get a pull up bar, theyre very cheap.
Save some money for more weights if you can and use your food budget wisely as you need to eat more.

Constantly making progress will help you put on size, add a rep or weight to all exercises, fill a backpack with weights and do pushups or pullups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Last Day Lepers
What are your goals?

Don't care about bulking and becoming hulk like big, I just want to look muscular when I take my top off :smile:

Original post by ttankzhang
Presumably you're after mass-gaining, and while it's possible just with body-weight and those dumbbells it won't be for very long (especially if you're already fairly strong).

Pull-ups, pistol squats (while holding dumbbells, if you can), weighted pushups, standing dumbbell shoulder press, all good options.

Isolation exercises won't mess you up unless you do too much on a single muscle. At the start, though, compound exercises will do more for you.

Thanks for those exercises :smile: I will look them up right now :biggrin: How many do you recommend I do?
Original post by Nvmthename
Get a pull up bar, theyre very cheap.
Save some money for more weights if you can and use your food budget wisely as you need to eat more.

Constantly making progress will help you put on size, add a rep or weight to all exercises, fill a backpack with weights and do pushups or pullups.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They have a pull up bar in my park :smile:
What kind of dumbell exercises, how often? I don't want to injur myself by doing curls every other day :s-smilie:
Original post by kumon
Don't care about bulking and becoming hulk like big, I just want to look muscular when I take my top off :smile:

Thanks for those exercises :smile: I will look them up right now :biggrin: How many do you recommend I do?

They have a pull up bar in my park :smile:
What kind of dumbell exercises, how often? I don't want to injur myself by doing curls every other day :s-smilie:

You could curl 3 times a week and its still optimal, dont be scared of isolated exercises.

I recommend you search for some DB only routines and add bodyweight exercises into them when relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
You could curl 3 times a week and its still optimal, dont be scared of isolated exercises.

I recommend you search for some DB only routines and add bodyweight exercises into them when relevant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I do it with tennis elbow as well? I can't find anything on youtube, on how to lift with it, people just lift with it? But thats bad I think :s-smilie: (it's gone down a lot, only slightly stiff in certain postions, dont wanna mess it up again, thats why:smile: !
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your health should be priority, so I suggest that you invest some money into the gym. Plus, you can get a personal trainer to motivate you and guide you with the right nutrition to bulk up or whateva...

Trust me, it will so worth it when you start to see results. :smile: In the meantime good luck with you tube.
Reply 8

I tried the pistol squat just now, DAMN! It's so hard to do! I looked at the form videos, back straight and kneee in front of foot.
How long did it take you do it and how long do you hold it for?

Original post by LarissaN
Your health should be priority, so I suggest that you invest some money into the gym. Plus, you can get a personal trainer to motivate you and guide you with the right nutrition to bulk up or whateva...

Trust me, it will so worth it when you start to see results. :smile: In the meantime good luck with you tube.

I eat healthy and do yoga my health is fine thanks :smile: It's more about getting that muscular look.

Standing press, how many reps??

I tried the pistol squat just now, DAMN! It's so hard to do! I looked at the form videos, back straight and kneee in front of foot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kumon

I don't generally do pistol squats, I use a barbell and do back squats, but 20kg is too light for that so you'll have to use one foot. I probably should do them though haha; you'll need a lot of flexibility in your hips before you can do them well, just search some basic stretches and do them for a couple minutes twice a day; I spose if you do yoga maybe this isn't that much of a problem. Hold at the bottom for 1 second, try to come up quickly (but controlled, obviously). To make it harder, descend as slowly as possible.

I can't tell how strong you are with these weights, so go to failure for each exercise, 5 sets each. If you can't do more than 8 with the weight, decrease the weight so you can only do 8
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
I don't generally do pistol squats, I use a barbell and do back squats, but 20kg is too light for that so you'll have to use one foot. I probably should do them though haha; you'll need a lot of flexibility in your hips before you can do them well, just search some basic stretches and do them for a couple minutes twice a day; I spose if you do yoga maybe this isn't that much of a problem. Hold at the bottom for 1 second, try to come up quickly (but controlled, obviously). To make it harder, descend as slowly as possible.

I can't tell how strong you are with these weights, so go to failure for each exercise, 5 sets each. If you can't do more than 8 with the weight, decrease the weight so you can only do 8

Ok cool, I think i'll start with 5kg dumbells and just add more reps, since the next set goes to 10kg and its just 1 dumbell :gah:
:lol: My head can touch my knees, but this pistol squat seems so hard without weights, I cant even get fully down, i'll keep on practicing till I can haha :biggrin:
Reply 11

How long does the muscle soreness last, what helps it go away quicker ?
Original post by kumon
How long does the muscle soreness last, what helps it go away quicker ?

eat some carbs and protein supplements if you have them straight after your workout, or just eat a carb/protein meal. take glutamine/HMB or drink milk/eat some yoghurt before going to bed, stretch out throughout the day.
Reply 13
eat some carbs and protein supplements if you have them straight after your workout, or just eat a carb/protein meal. take glutamine/HMB or drink milk/eat some yoghurt before going to bed, stretch out throughout the day.

Can I just take some youghurt after my work out and drink some hemp protein? :smile:
And thanks the standing press is amazing, al shoulders feel bigger already no joke hahah :biggrin:
Original post by kumon
Can I just take some youghurt after my work out and drink some hemp protein? :smile:
And thanks the standing press is amazing, al shoulders feel bigger already no joke hahah :biggrin:

So both yoghurt and hemp protein are digested fairly slowly, whereas you want something digested quickly immediately after a workout. Can I ask why you have access to Hemp protein? You're the first person I've met who uses it haha! Get some cheap whey if you can, and take that immediately after a workout. If not, the yoghurt is probably a better shout, but take some carbs as well (e.g. eat the yoghurt with some granola sprinked on or something).
Reply 15
So both yoghurt and hemp protein are digested fairly slowly, whereas you want something digested quickly immediately after a workout. Can I ask why you have access to Hemp protein? You're the first person I've met who uses it haha! Get some cheap whey if you can, and take that immediately after a workout. If not, the yoghurt is probably a better shout, but take some carbs as well (e.g. eat the yoghurt with some granola sprinked on or something).

I dont want whey since its a byproduct of milk and milk doesn't suit me too well haha, so should I take hemp after work out or not? Or before?
Ohh ok thats really great advice, i'll be sure to ask you for more :smile: I will do the same exercises again on friday or tomorrow depending on how i'm feeling :biggrin:
Any thing / which foods have fibre for hemorids? I got them before, they went away but I dont want them to come back :gah:
Original post by kumon
I dont want whey since its a byproduct of milk and milk doesn't suit me too well haha, so should I take hemp after work out or not? Or before?
Ohh ok thats really great advice, i'll be sure to ask you for more :smile: I will do the same exercises again on friday or tomorrow depending on how i'm feeling :biggrin:
Any thing / which foods have fibre for hemorids? I got them before, they went away but I dont want them to come back :gah:

Oh OK, then yeah go ahead and take that after. I would've suggested whey before as well but don't think hemp would work so well pre-workout, so stick to about 25g of protein straight after plus some carbs.

For fibre, if you eat enough veg you should be OK, especially cruciferous veg. Beans are also a decent choice. If you want to supplement, one of my friends uses psyllium husks, costs like £4 online; I've personally never needed to since I eat broccoli like twice a day anyway haha :P
Reply 17
Oh OK, then yeah go ahead and take that after. I would've suggested whey before as well but don't think hemp would work so well pre-workout, so stick to about 25g of protein straight after plus some carbs.

For fibre, if you eat enough veg you should be OK, especially cruciferous veg. Beans are also a decent choice. If you want to supplement, one of my friends uses psyllium husks, costs like £4 online; I've personally never needed to since I eat broccoli like twice a day anyway haha :P

25g is like 1 scoop right? With water or orange juice?
I can eat youghurt btw, no problems with that, so shall i take yoghurt after workout instead and hemp pre? :smile:
Original post by kumon
25g is like 1 scoop right? With water or orange juice?
I can eat youghurt btw, no problems with that, so shall i take yoghurt after workout instead and hemp pre? :smile:

Yep, 1 scoop, never had hemp protein so no idea about the taste; water vs orange juice is your choice. Juice is probably a good shout if it doesn't taste too bad since it'll replenish glycogen stores immediately after your workout.

Probably take both after; neither will do a huge amount pre-workout.
Reply 19
Eggs are the cheapest form of protein.
Remember that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest