The Student Room Group

Middle Lane Hogging

So..basically I drove on the motor way for the first time within an experienced driver. I drove perfectly fine however I just found out about the middle lane hogging law. He advised me to drive on the middle lane for the majority of the journey in which I did. I know I should have done my research before hand and I know that it is an offence to hog the middle lane ( I didn't mean to anyway as the left hand lane was mostly full of lorries). My question is, how would I be caught for middle lane hogging. Does there need to be a police present to fine me or will it come through the post? Have any of you been fined for middle lane hogging?
I doubt the police have time to get every middle lane hogger :rofl:

Never heard of anyone being fined for lane hogging anyway :lolwut: I mean how would they even go about it, you would need a bazillion cameras!

Relax :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
If the left lane is full of lorries and you're passing them then it's overtaking and not middle lane hogging. If the left lane is empty and you're still in the middle then you're middle lane hogging.
Original post by nemothefish19
I doubt the police have time to get every middle lane hogger :rofl:

Never heard of anyone being fined for lane hogging anyway :lolwut: I mean how would they even go about it, you would need a bazillion cameras!

Relax :wink:

Actually, now if the police see you middle-lane hogging and tailgating, as well as stopping in a yellow junction box or a cycle box, etc.. you can be fined and get points on your license.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23713732

@OP if you didn't get pulled over by the police and fined on the spot, you won't get anything in the post. Most of the time you'll get away with it, but try not to be a dick. If the slow lane is empty and everyone is in the middle lane going at 70mph, someone stuck behind a slow vehicle can't overtake.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Actually, now if the police see you middle-lane hogging and tailgating, as well as stopping in a yellow junction box or a cycle box, etc.. you can be fined and get points on your license.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23713732

@OP if you didn't get pulled over by the police and fined on the spot, you won't get anything in the post. Most of the time you'll get away with it, but try not to be a dick. If the slow lane is empty and everyone is in the middle lane going at 70mph, someone stuck behind a slow vehicle can't overtake.

Ohh I stand corrected! Only heard there might be stricter laws being introduced for tailgaitors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending