The Student Room Group

Female bullying in the workplace - what do I do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EatAndRevise
"I would say that very expensive bags are inappropriate for most jobs."

No that is wrong, it is not someone's fault if they have expensive bags. Why should they go out of their way and buy a cheap bag just to fit in? It is not their problem that they have invested in a nice bag.

Well it is there fault isn't it? It's their 'fault' they decided to buy said bag lol.
Original post by ChickenMadness
lel. Atleast I'm not too ashamed of myself to have one.

With that face I would be. :gfight:
Original post by Marky Mark
With that face I would be. :gfight:

lel so angry. I knew you were a child with zero life experience lmao.
Original post by EatAndRevise
You are very stupid, germaphobia is real. I hate people like you, "oh, a child in Africa blah, blah, blah".

No I am not. Perhaps you have a sense of entitlement in the world, do get off your high horse. Yes, I would mention a child in Africa. Being from a Western country, of course your reaction was expected. And you can't "hate" who you know zilch about :rolleyes:
Clearly jealous of you. I always dress up and try to look my best when i got out all the time and i've also gotten snide remarks like you have. It's actually very common amongst us females. We're all insecure and conpetitive creatures but some way more than others like in this scenario :smile: good luck for te future xx
Original post by ArtGoblin
You don't get jealous of anyone... ever? Wow, OK. I'm not sure I believe you but then maybe that's because I do experience it and I'm just assuming everyone else does. Jealousy is involuntary; it is not a pleasant feeling for the person experiencing it. There's nothing wrong with being jealous of others; what's wrong is when you treat others badly because of it. I try to use jealousy productively - instead of being like "that person is so confident, I hate them", I try to look at how they do it and use those things to improve myself. Obviously it doesn't work for things like wealth and looks, but I'm saying that jealousy doesn't have to be 'malicious and vile'. It's just a normal human emotion that can have some negative consequences

You might not think it was flaunting money, but I'm sure that's how see perceived it. Seriously, learn some empathy. It can be learnt - just takes a bit of practice. Remember that your point of view is not the only one.

I don't know what your bag looks like - it may have been fine. But if others pointed it out, it probably wasn't. :dontknow:

No. I don't. I sometimes think "She has a nice car/bag etc" but that's it. I don't really understand jealousy because I don't experience it.

I'm very empathetic. I just don't understand how someone can want to upset someone because they have money/whatever. It seems horrible to me.

It's just black, with a distinctive fastner which is characteristic of the designer. It's medium sized, not even massive. There are other girls who work there who have Mulberry bags and Michael Kors, so I don't understand what the issue with mine is
Original post by ilem
She is very jealous of you :laugh:

Yeah I figured from what she said, how do I deal with it? I think I'm going to do what others said and try to record her being a bitch. But it's so annoying
Original post by SMEGGGY
The make up bit is a dead giveaway unless it's a tranny... :eek:

Like it's been said, record what she's saying and get some gloves to remove the bin etc etc - see if that changes her attitude (doubt it though)

Original post by Anonymous
No I am not. Perhaps you have a sense of entitlement in the world, do get off your high horse. Yes, I would mention a child in Africa. Being from a Western country, of course your reaction was expected. And you can't "hate" who you know zilch about :rolleyes:

You know nothing about mental health conditions
No. I don't. I sometimes think "She has a nice car/bag etc" but that's it. I don't really understand jealousy because I don't experience it.

I'm very empathetic. I just don't understand how someone can want to upset someone because they have money/whatever. It seems horrible to me.

It's just black, with a distinctive fastner which is characteristic of the designer. It's medium sized, not even massive. There are other girls who work there who have Mulberry bags and Michael Kors, so I don't understand what the issue with mine is

Not experiencing jealousy is like not experiencing anger, or humiliation, or contentment or excitement. It's just a normal human emotion - there's no need to be ashamed. Some people experience it less than others, but never? I just don't buy it unless you have some emotional difficulties.

From what you've posted here don't seem very empathetic at all. From these posts alone I would say that you seem like you have quite low social intelligence, but obviously I don't know you and it's up to you to assess whether it's true (although you don't seem to good at analysing yourself either). You can think something is horrible and still be able to understand why they did it.
Original post by ArtGoblin
Not experiencing jealousy is like not experiencing anger, or humiliation, or contentment or excitement. It's just a normal human emotion - there's no need to be ashamed. Some people experience it less than others, but never? I just don't buy it unless you have some emotional difficulties.

From what you've posted here don't seem very empathetic at all. From these posts alone I would say that you seem like you have quite low social intelligence, but obviously I don't know you and it's up to you to assess whether it's true (although you don't seem to good at analysing yourself either). You can think something is horrible and still be able to understand why they did it.

How would you define jealousy? All I can think of is perhaps we define it differently.

Lol. I have low social intelligence because I'm the one being targetted? No. I go out of my way to help others, I volunteer for charities, I give a lot of money to causes. I'm someone everyone comes to when they have a problem because I'm a good listener and good at giving advice, open minded and always willing to help

I just don't see "jealousy" as a valid reason for being a dick to someone, and I have little time for someone as petty and immature enough to be a knob because I WANT WHAT SHE'S GOT MUMMY!

lol imagine you're a 3rd world child starving to death. And across the street theres a 5 star all inclusive resort where tourists eat all day and food gets thrown out and wasted.

Pretty sure if you were in that position you'd be thinking, "oh I wish i could have food like them"
lol imagine you're a 3rd world child starving to death. And across the street theres a 5 star all inclusive resort where tourists eat all day and food gets thrown out and wasted.

Pretty sure if you were in that position you'd be thinking, "oh I wish i could have food like them"

Yeah but I wouldn't hate the people who ate there :confused: Like I might think "They're so lucky, I wish I could do that" but I wouldn't want to take it off them and make them feel like ****

I'm not a nasty person and I hate upsetting people
How would you define jealousy? All I can think of is perhaps we define it differently.

Lol. I have low social intelligence because I'm the one being targetted? No. I go out of my way to help others, I volunteer for charities, I give a lot of money to causes. I'm someone everyone comes to when they have a problem because I'm a good listener and good at giving advice, open minded and always willing to help

I just don't see "jealousy" as a valid reason for being a dick to someone, and I have little time for someone as petty and immature enough to be a knob because I WANT WHAT SHE'S GOT MUMMY!

Ye no one is saying it's a valid reason to be a dick. Just that you can avoid putting yourself in those positions.
(edited 9 years ago)

Yeah I think she seems like that too

So me being unable to do one tiny aspect of my job because of a diagnosed mental health condition is being a diva? Sorry what?

If someone came to me and asked for help for a valid reason Id do it, no questions asked. And no, she's making allowances because the disability discrimination act says reasonable adjustments must be made

Would you say someone in a wheelchair who asked for a ramp instead of the stairs should man up?

don't waste your time. people who don't suffer from anxiety will never understand it. she sounds like a bitch, and trading jobs is perfectly fine in the work place if you ask me.
Ye know one is saying it's a valid reason to be a dick. Just that you can avoid putting yourself in those positions.

Yeah I know but I don't honestly see why I should have to? It's like telling someone "don't do this or you'll get bullied", here's an idea, how about you tell the bullies not to bully? I really don't understand why I should have to use a different bag and dress differently when my clothing doesn't affect them in the slightest because they've got a chip on their shoulder. It's ridiculous.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
don't waste your time. people who don't suffer from anxiety will never understand it. she sounds like a bitch, and trading jobs is perfectly fine in the work place if you ask me.

Thank you. Yeah I hate it when people are like "just get over it" if I could don't you think I would have? It's not like I WANT to have panic attacks.

So nobody in the World can ever have anything nice? How do you know the people in that resort don't give away thousands of pound to charities for the poor?

The OP has done nothing wrong by spending her money, and if she has a phobia of germs what do you want her to do?
Yeah I know but I don't honestly see why I should have to? It's like telling someone "don't do this or you'll get bullied", here's an idea, how about you tell the bullies not to bully? I really don't understand why I should have to use a different bag and dress differently when my clothing doesn't affect them in the slightest because they've got a chip on their shoulder. It's ridiculous.

Well you can carry on how you are now. Just be prepared to deal with it every time you get a new job lol.

The recording thing will work. All the girls will end up hating you even more though once it's all done (if they haven't been fired).

Have a read: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/compassion-matters/201109/what-drives-jealousy :smile:

I never said that jealousy was a valid reason; in fact I specifically said that it wasn't. Just that it would be helpful if you could understand why she feels that why and why some of your actions could have been perceived in a way you didn't intend.

And no, I don't think you have a low social intelligence because you're the one being targetted. You're deliberately twisting what I'm saying. I think you have low social intelligence because you can't see anything from anyone else's point of view. Volunteering and donating to charities doesn't necessarily prove you are empathetic, although I would guess they usually correlate. being empathic towards friends and people who you consider in need is one thing; seeing things from the point of view of those we dislike is quite another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending