The Student Room Group

POLL: Do you get along with your own gender?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Right, so make-up, celebrities, clothes = vapid? Football =/= vapid? I'm sorry, I don't care whether you don't like typical 'girl interests' but calling them vapid and sport not is just ridiculous.

Well I suppose it depends if they know what they are talking about. I agree if the people talking about it are clueless football is vapid, but if a guy follows football properly and actually reads about it, which a surprising amount do, it isn't vapid.

Sport involves strategy and tactics in a way that is more intellectually stimulating to me than following the latest celebrity scandal.

And also I said 'I FIND' not 'IT IS'. I find talking about 'typical girl things' boring. Same goes for plenty of 'typical boy things' (rugby union, cars, gaming)
Original post by redferry
Well I suppose it depends if they know what they are talking about. I agree if the people talking about it are clueless football is vapid, but if a guy follows football properly and actually reads about it, which a surprising amount do, it isn't vapid.

Sport involves strategy and tactics in a way that is more intellectually stimulating to me than following the latest celebrity scandal.

And also I said 'I FIND' not 'IT IS'. I find talking about 'typical girl things' boring. Same goes for plenty of 'typical boy things' (rugby union, cars, gaming)

And you can't be knowledgeable about fashion and clothes in the same way?

I don't follow celebrities but saying that following a football team is more worthwhile than caring about the Kardashians is just stupid. They're both worthless but fine to enjoy.
Original post by bonfire_heart
Actually, red ferry is kind of right. Even though I've said that I prefer girls which I do despite all arguments against them, I've also seen many examples of girl cliques going through a bullying phase. When a clique reaches it's maximum capacity I'd say at 4-5, the two weakest members take turns being victimised and slowly abandoned from the group. In their attempts to compete for their 4. place in the group, they will happily participate in the bullying instead of helping each other. When one or both of them decide to let it go and find a new group of friends, the clique will eventually fall apart, not the least because the two dominant leaders of the group start getting in each other's way. I know this may sound factual and scientific which of course it is NOT but considering the number of obervances at many schools, from all ages and mostlikely in different countries, they might hold a psychological meaning that is unique to girls.

That's similar to what happened to me except there was one dominant girl and I was the only one being picked on. It was so bad though, they turned the entire school against me saying I was bullying her (never said or done anything horrible to her in my life) and everyone took her side, what with her being 'a fragile flower' whose dad had died and used to self harm in that kind of 'I only cut myself deep enough to leave a mark in the most obvious place possible' way. When I finally got the courage to go to the school about it she fell on the floor screaming and writhing around to get attention. Honest to god this girl was not mentally I'll in any way, she just loved the attention.

Ive never ment anyone so manipulative in my life. It's still going on now as well, she's become some serious Christian and gets everyone to look after her. But I know the moment they don't pay her what she deems to be enough attention she will spit them out and stamp all over them.

Anyway, moral of the story I never got any closure and I wish they were dead every day at least once. 6 years after the event.
And you can't be knowledgeable about fashion and clothes in the same way?

I don't follow celebrities but saying that following a football team is more worthwhile than caring about the Kardashians is just stupid. They're both worthless but fine to enjoy.

Well its not exactly got the same element of strategy to it does it?

Of course its more worthwhile, one is based on consumerism and one is based on community spirit...
Well I've met plenty of others since, mostly knobbers.

Well great for you, you must all have a,loveley time skipping along holding hands and singing. Private school by any chance?

Yep 22 years of systematic lifetime bullying that follows a clear pattern is the same as a one off incident.
Nope.

Yes, but you haven't met all all of them. Therefore your comment is completely incorrect. Sure, there are a lot of bitchy girls in the world. But that doesn't mean that they're ALL bitchy or 'scum of the earth' as you put it.
Nope, state school.
Actually, red ferry is kind of right. Even though I've said that I prefer girls which I do despite all arguments against them, I've also seen many examples of girl cliques going through a bullying phase. When a clique reaches it's maximum capacity I'd say at 4-5, the two weakest members take turns being victimised and slowly abandoned from the group. In their attempts to compete for their 4. place in the group, they will happily participate in the bullying instead of helping each other. When one or both of them decide to let it go and find a new group of friends, the clique will eventually fall apart, not the least because the two dominant leaders of the group start getting in each other's way. I know this may sound factual and scientific which of course it is NOT but considering the number of obervances at many schools, from all ages and mostlikely in different countries, they might hold a psychological meaning that is unique to girls.

How on earth is she correct in saying that 'all teenage girls are scum of the earth'?
Original post by thechemistress
Yes, but you haven't met all all of them. Therefore your comment is completely incorrect. Sure, there are a lot of bitchy girls in the world. But that doesn't mean that they're ALL bitchy or 'scum of the earth' as you put it.
Nope, state school.

I did say teenage girls, and I did say a lot grow out of it.

I imagine you are one of the people that victimised others which is why you can't see what goes on. I fail to believe you attend a little bubble school where this doesn't happen when every person I know has a similar story to me.
How on earth is she correct in saying that 'all teenage girls are scum of the earth'?

I didn't mean that part of course, but the chances of experiencing bullying among your girlfriends is higher than getting along through your entire school career, as in your case.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well its not exactly got the same element of strategy to it does it?

Of course its more worthwhile, one is based on consumerism and one is based on community spirit...

But fashion is an art form and art isn't vapid at all.
But fashion is an art form and art isn't vapid at all.

I've never met anyone o terested in fashion that wasn't materialist. From the point of view of an environmentalist, it is best avoided. They wouldn't like me anyway, I buy all my clothes off eBay.
I've never met anyone o terested in fashion that wasn't materialist. From the point of view of an environmentalist, it is best avoided. They wouldn't like me anyway, I buy all my clothes off eBay.

You don't have to be interested in something but calling something vapid just because girls like it is misogynistic.
It depends on the person mostly. I am a guy and I find it quite easy to get along with either sex. My primary school friends comprised heavily of guys. In uni though I have more female friends mostly because most guys are douches. How much I miss the men of my youth.....................
Not any more than I do with guys. Tbh I don't particularly get on with anybody, or not get on with anybody. It's all very meh.
I didn't mean that part of course, but the chances of experiencing bullying among your girlfriends is higher than getting along through your entire school career, as in your case.

Yes, of course. But that doesn't mean you agree with her statement at all then. That's the part I have issue with.

I did say teenage girls, and I did say a lot grow out of it.

I imagine you are one of the people that victimised others which is why you can't see what goes on. I fail to believe you attend a little bubble school where this doesn't happen when every person I know has a similar story to me.

I 'victimised others'. I have never EVER victimised another person in my life. I honestly take personal offence to that, as a Christian. One of my morals is to treat my neighbours as I would like to be treated, so I would never ever even dream of victimising another girl. Good lord, you are delusional. You can't accept the fact that you are completely incorrect, so have taken to making completely incorrect statements about others.
Just grow the hell up. Yes, you may have had a terrible experience, but that DOES NOT mean that everybody has. NOT ALL SCHOOLS ARE THE SAME. I couldn't give a less of crap whether you believe if my school exists or not, but what I'm saying is true. We're known for being a very friendly school.

At the end of the day, your statement that 'all teenage girls are scum of the earth' is ridiculous and incorrect. Yes, some may be but not all.
Yes, of course. But that doesn't mean you agree with her statement at all then. That's the part I have issue with.

I 'victimised others'. I have never EVER victimised another person in my life. I honestly take personal offence to that, as a Christian.

Means nothing, the girl that bullied me worst is a Christian to the extent she posts bible quotes on Facebook.

One of my morals is to treat my neighbours as I would like to be treated, so I would never ever even dream of victimising another girl. Good lord, you are delusional. You can't accept the fact that you are completely incorrect, so have taken to making completely incorrect statements about others.

Says someone who won't admit victimisation goes on in her all girls school despite literally everyone else having a different experience.

Just grow the hell up. Yes, you may have had a terrible experience, but that DOES NOT mean that everybody has. NOT ALL SCHOOLS ARE THE SAME. I couldn't give a less of crap whether you believe if my school exists or not, but what I'm saying is true. We're known for being a very friendly school.

Well don for going to the one school in the country where that doesn't happen then. You're going to have a shock when you get to Uni.

At the end of the day, your statement that 'all teenage girls are scum of the earth' is ridiculous and incorrect. Yes, some may be but not all.

'The overwhelming majority of girls aged 15 to 17 in my experience are scum of the earth' happy now?
Being a male, my answer is "no".
You don't have to be interested in something but calling something vapid just because girls like it is misogynistic.

I said I find it vapid.

You're saying this to an active feminist love :wink: I promote women's right to be interested in whatever they want, just don't ask me to engage in conversation about it.
Means nothing, the girl that bullied me worst is a Christian to the extent she posts bible quotes on Facebook.
Says someone who won't admit victimisation goes on in her all girls school despite literally everyone else having a different experience.
Well don for going to the one school in the country where that doesn't happen then. You're going to have a shock when you get to Uni.
'The overwhelming majority of girls aged 15 to 17 in my experience are scum of the earth' happy now?

This is problem with TSR, everybody thinks that they know everything about everything and everyone everywhere.

You're free to live your life thinking that all teenage girls are 'scum', but don't try to state it as a fact as it simply isn't true.

Honestly, I'm shocked that you consider yourself to be a feminist- all your posts reek of misogyny.
This is problem with TSR, everybody thinks that they know everything about everything and everyone everywhere.

You're free to live your life thinking that all teenage girls are 'scum', but don't try to state it as a fact as it simply isn't true.

Honestly, I'm shocked that you consider yourself to be a feminist- all your posts reek of misogyny.

All my posts? Yep, the fro feminism ones and the ones helping people with their courses just reek of mysogyny!

You see the feminism comes in because I know that's just the way women are socially conditioned to be. I recognise there is an issue in the way we bring our kids up to make so many of them into such horrible people that they feel the need to crush people that don't play their assigned gender role. That they feel the need to victimise people for hanging out with the opposite gender.

Just look at the posts here - a number of people bashing girls that hang out with guys as being horrible and sub par. That attitude is endemic among teenage girls as is jealousy and competition between 'friends'. And that needs addressing because it makes a lot of teenage girls very miserable.

In that case your right, I don't agree with most of what has been said as far as the exaggerations and generalisations go. I just thought that still redferry's point that the majority of girls experience some type of bullying (victim, bully or bystander) at some point was more realistic than what you've experienced in your year which is great for you and your friends but more like a jackpot in the lottery of schools. I do not believe that all girls or even more than 50% of girls are SCUM because that is a very harsh term and I never meant to judge this whole bullying phenomenon at all.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending