The Student Room Group

Psychology A-Level Opinions

For those who have studied or are studying AS or A-Level Psychology what are your opinions on the subject?

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by iamlucyclare
For those who have studied or are studying AS or A-Level Psychology what are your opinions on the subject?

Do biology instead, more respected

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends what you want out of life. If you want to do psychology at university, its mostly useful for having something to talk about on your personal statement, although you can do psychology at university without doing it at a level. Although its an interesting A Level, its simply memorising and rote learning. You do learn some useful skills in being able to critically assess research studies though, which is applicable in life!

Original post by Slim Shady 96
Do biology instead, more respected

Posted from TSR Mobile

although its fine as a "fourth" a level for any subject... I cant see many universities not giving someone a place because they have psychology a level, if you have all the necessary other requirements.

Hello,

I have just finished A2 psychology. Before I decided on my options for AS, I had no idea what psychology was about. But taking it was a good decision because I do really like psychology. Can I ask what exam board you are doing/or will be doing, as I know that the spec do vary quite a lot between exam boards and then I can help make my opinions specific :smile:
Original post by girlygiggle
Hello,

I have just finished A2 psychology. Before I decided on my options for AS, I had no idea what psychology was about. But taking it was a good decision because I do really like psychology. Can I ask what exam board you are doing/or will be doing, as I know that the spec do vary quite a lot between exam boards and then I can help make my opinions specific :smile:

It would be OCR:smile:

What other subjects do you want to take, and do you have an idea of what you would like to study at university?

Ok, well I did AQA A, and even though it is a different exam boards, I think there are some similarities and I can fully say that taking psychology at A-level will be very enjoyable as there are so many different aspects of the subject that you are bound to find one you enjoy.
Original post by Pectorac
What other subjects do you want to take, and do you have an idea of what you would like to study at university?

Currently trying to decide on 4 subjects out of maths, english langauge, history, psychology and philosophy and I want to study for a degree in primary education:smile:
Reply 9
I love AS level psychology! The topic are really interesting although they do involve a lot of work and revision of various studies. I do highly reccomend it though as since taking it i now want to futher study it at university 👍
I love it! It's easily my favourite subject, I just completed my AS year, read up into the subject and see if it interests you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I found it abysmal. Though all A Levels are a memory game, Psychology was nothing but a memory game. And a lot of memory too, the information you are required to learn is very silly, and for the AQA A A2 spec you barely use half of it and answer about one question.
Reply 12
:cry: I have crap memory

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did OCR psychology and absolutely LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! doing it at Alevel made me realise how much I love it and so plan to study it in sept at uni
Well i've technically not begun the lessons yet but i've had a taster lesson at the Sixth Form that i'm going to :redface:

But I did Psychology at GCSE and I thoroughly loved the subject even though my class and teacher was a bit awkward :cute:

Its my favourite subject now because I find it so interesting because you can apply everything you learn to everyday life and even see why people have become what they are in a lot of cases :smile:

So I'm going to be choosing A-Level Psychology, hopefully I will get good results in my GCSEs first though :h:
Currently trying to decide on 4 subjects out of maths, english langauge, history, psychology and philosophy and I want to study for a degree in primary education:smile:

I'm aiming for a degree in Primary Education too :wink:
Try reading up on Psychology, if you seem interested I would definitely recommend it im doing it myself :smile:

I did OCR psychology AS (haven't done A2 yet) and I really enjoyed it! You get to learn quite a diverse number of studies and approaches to psychology, so it was always interesting.

Quite a lot of stats to remember though! But (so far) the exam set-up was pretty good as well - it's quite easy to understand the technique :smile:
Original post by thewishfulwriter
I did OCR psychology AS (haven't done A2 yet) and I really enjoyed it! You get to learn quite a diverse number of studies and approaches to psychology, so it was always interesting.

Quite a lot of stats to remember though! But (so far) the exam set-up was pretty good as well - it's quite easy to understand the technique :smile:

Good luck for A2...72 studies. And 72 backgrounds(which you also need to remember for the exam) :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yellowglitter19
Good luck for A2...72 studies. And 72 backgrounds(which you also need to remember for the exam) :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god! :O *cries*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everyone! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending