The Student Room Group

5x5 workout for boxers?

I wanna build a bit of size while maintaonin my speed. So I was told to do 5x5 workout once a week, and in the following week do plyometrics, Olympic lifts etc.
Will this increase my strength and size and still keep my speed to how it originally was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iWoof
I wanna build a bit of size while maintaonin my speed. So I was told to do 5x5 workout once a week, and in the following week do plyometrics, Olympic lifts etc.
Will this increase my strength and size and still keep my speed to how it originally was?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you've got a really busy training schedule I'd recommend doing it twice a week to really gain proper mass, but you'll need to do plenty of plyo to keep your speed up as well of course.

In my experience the squats and deads can help mobility but I was pretty slow to start with. Make sure you're putting loads of emphasis on exploding up from the bottom of squats, like a box jump. You should be fine, but if you feel you're starting to get slower as a result of the mass you're gaining then change it to suit by doing more plyo.

(assuming diet is fine; clean bulk so eating loads of protein but at a minor calorific surplus at most)
Reply 2
Original post by ttankzhang
Unless you've got a really busy training schedule I'd recommend doing it twice a week to really gain proper mass, but you'll need to do plenty of plyo to keep your speed up as well of course.

In my experience the squats and deads can help mobility but I was pretty slow to start with. Make sure you're putting loads of emphasis on exploding up from the bottom of squats, like a box jump. You should be fine, but if you feel you're starting to get slower as a result of the mass you're gaining then change it to suit by doing more plyo.

(assuming diet is fine; clean bulk so eating loads of protein but at a minor calorific surplus at most)

Alright! Thanks
Unfortunately I do have a busy schedule so I cant do it twice a week lol :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you wanna be big or be a good boxer? Cos training for both is kind of sub-optimal for both
Reply 4
Original post by e aí rapaz
Do you wanna be big or be a good boxer? Cos training for both is kind of sub-optimal for both

Well I am 6 foot and around 56 kg, im probably taller than most people in this weight class.
I wanna have size so I can be able to "push them around" in the ring. I wanna have strength basically.

But speed is the main aspect in my style.
My style is very similar to amir khan. Using hanspeed, footwork and reach advantage to the fullest.
Original post by iWoof
Well I am 6 foot and around 56 kg, im probably taller than most people in this weight class.
I wanna have size so I can be able to "push them around" in the ring. I wanna have strength basically.

But speed is the main aspect in my style.
My style is very similar to amir khan. Using hanspeed, footwork and reach advantage to the fullest.

Wow, you must be talllll for your weight class. Do you box at lightweight or featherweight?

Anyway, that's obviously an advantage. You don't need to gain size, what you want is to improve your punching power. That's largely technique but also explosive power, which is best built with olympic lifting and plyos.

I just don't see the point of you doing a 5x5 routine.
Wow, you must be talllll for your weight class. Do you box at lightweight or featherweight?

Anyway, that's obviously an advantage. You don't need to gain size, what you want is to improve your punching power. That's largely technique but also explosive power, which is best built with olympic lifting and plyos.

Explosive power, paused squats, bench, press.
Reply 7

I box at lightweight.
I thought doing 5x5 routine would make sense as it is known for building strength and I already have speed. And power is equal to strength × speed.

Hmm
Original post by iWoof
I box at lightweight.
I thought doing 5x5 routine would make sense as it is known for building strength and I already have speed. And power is equal to strength × speed.

Hmm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/423722-workouts-that-increase-speed-train-fast-twitch-muscles/

I'm not saying a 5x5 strength routine is gonna do any harm, just that it's not gonna help you as a boxer particularly. Being a little bit stronger will of course be better, but the strength you'd get from oly lifting and plyo stuff would be better.
I wouldn't get too caught up in strength training anyway, most amateurs don't do any beyond plyos and bodyweight stuff. Technique and movement is more important.
Reply 10
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomyandphysiology/a/MuscleFiberType.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/423722-workouts-that-increase-speed-train-fast-twitch-muscles/

I'm not saying a 5x5 strength routine is gonna do any harm, just that it's not gonna help you as a boxer particularly. Being a little bit stronger will of course be better, but the strength you'd get from oly lifting and plyo stuff would be better.

would I only get the strength results from oly lifts if my technique is very good?
Original post by iWoof
would I only get the strength results from oly lifts if my technique is very good?

Well it'd be dangerous to do oly lifts without good technique so that's not really an idea you should be entertaining anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest