The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University accreditation

I have read on their website that it is accredited in the US but would my degree be accepted for masters by universities like Cambridge, MIT, ETH Zurich, if i plan to do my Bachelors from open university.

I have little to no idea how this whole accreditation system works which is why I have denied the admission at Webster university. Can someone help me understand this concept?

Thanks!
It depends on the degree; some are accredited and some are not. Your best bet is to check which degree or degrees you wish to do, check which people you're supposed to be accredited by, and check what they need.

For me, I checked the IoP accreditation pdf for university courses that were accredited.

For example, Natural Sciences BSc can be accredited by a number of organisations, depending on your scheme - even physics.

Ironically, the Mathematics and Physics BSc is NOT accredited by the IoP.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by BestProfileName
It depends on the degree; some are accredited and some are not. Your best bet is to check which degree or degrees you wish to do, check which people you're supposed to be accredited by, and check what they need.

For me, I checked the IoP accreditation pdf for university courses that were accredited.

For example, Natural Sciences BSc can be accredited by a number of organisations, depending on your scheme - even physics.

Ironically, the Mathematics and Physics BSc is NOT accredited by the IoP.

I dont understand what you mean by the degrees. Is it not the university which is accreditated and not the degree. Now i am completely confused. I am currently looking at economics and mathematical studies bsc or an open degree with economics and business modules. How do i figure out the accreditation of an open degree or any other degree?
BPN is talking about accreditation by professional bodies of particular degree programmes (for example, someone who does an OU BEng can apply for registration as an Incorporated Engineer because the degree meets the requirements of the Engineering Council and the OU work with the various Institutes of engineering to ensure it's accredited by them). What you seem to be asking is whether OU degrees will be recognised as degrees by universities in other countries. The OU has degree awarding powers, so there's not any distinction between an OU degree and one from any other uni, and no reason why universities internationally wouldn't recognise them. An OU degree is a degree.

Generally, if you look closely at the requirements for international postgraduate study, each uni will include information about what undergraduate study they would accept from what countries. As the standard in the UK is an Honours degree, that's what will generally be listed as the UK qualification they'll accept; usually with some expectation as to what class of degree (e.g. they might ask for a first or 2:1).
Reply 4
Original post by Persipan
usually with some expectation as to what class of degree (e.g. they might ask for a first or 2:1).

What do you mean by 2:1? because I have been looking at some top 10 universities and they state that they accept a bachelors degree which is considered a "high class" degree or a degree from an internationally recognized university.

I am going for BSc Economics and Mathematical studies, so what kind of accreditation should i be looking at? I am quite confused and only because of this I have left a private university and now they can't take me back as it is too late and i regret taking that decision because I am facing the same accreditation problem with Open University...
Hi again,

I sent an email to someone at the IoP. I didn't ask for permission to paste the email, so I will just give you a summary here: accreditation doesn't impact graduate study. She said that universities only care that the degree is recognised (which, as far as I can tell, every BSc at the OU is).

Accreditation, I was informed, has greater impact on your chances at a graduate job, such as engineering.

If you type, "open university mathematics and economics bsc accredited" into Google and click on the third link down, it seems your degree is NOT accredited (scroll down the pdf).

But as Persipan (and the lady at the IoP) have pointed out, this does not seem relevant to Masters study

So in summary, the university (OU) is 'accredited' (not the right word - recognised is) when it comes to granting degrees, and it seems that you can do it and use that for a Masters. I sent another email to her, so I might be able to give you some more information when I get the reply.

Oh, and by 2:1 Persipan just meant the grade; for the OU this means 70% or over. Most places either ask for a 2:2, 2:1 or a First. Realistically, you should be looking for a minimum of a 2:1.
Reply 6
Hi again,

I sent an email to someone at the IoP. I didn't ask for permission to paste the email, so I will just give you a summary here: accreditation doesn't impact graduate study. She said that universities only care that the degree is recognised (which, as far as I can tell, every BSc at the OU is).

Accreditation, I was informed, has greater impact on your chances at a graduate job, such as engineering.

If you type, "open university mathematics and economics bsc accredited" into Google and click on the third link down, it seems your degree is NOT accredited (scroll down the pdf).

But as Persipan (and the lady at the IoP) have pointed out, this does not seem relevant to Masters study

So in summary, the university (OU) is 'accredited' (not the right word - recognised is) when it comes to granting degrees, and it seems that you can do it and use that for a Masters. I sent another email to her, so I might be able to give you some more information when I get the reply.

Oh, and by 2:1 Persipan just meant the grade; for the OU this means 70% or over. Most places either ask for a 2:2, 2:1 or a First. Realistically, you should be looking for a minimum of a 2:1.

So what you mean to say is that accreditation would affect me if I look for a graduate job after doing masters from a university and not when applying for masters, in an internationally recognized university.

Correct me if i've gotten the wrong idea because I was going to start my BSc at Webster (Geneva -Switzerland campus) and the director told me that this private university is not accredited by the Swiss body so that I won't be able to study masters at one of the big universities such as EPFL, ETH Zurich, Geneva University.

This causes more confusion than ever. I am spending more time thinking about accreditation than actually self studying because I start a uni.

EDIT: Also what am I looking for in the PDF? I can't seem to find the accreditation section.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shad0wboss
So what you mean to say is that accreditation would affect me if I look for a graduate job after doing masters from a university and not when applying for masters, in an internationally recognized university.

Correct me if i've gotten the wrong idea because I was going to start my BSc at Webster (Geneva -Switzerland campus) and the director told me that this private university is not accredited by the Swiss body so that I won't be able to study masters at one of the big universities such as EPFL, ETH Zurich, Geneva University.

This causes more confusion than ever. I am spending more time thinking about accreditation than actually self studying because I start a uni.

EDIT: Also what am I looking for in the PDF? I can't seem to find the accreditation section.

Type ctrl+f and put in "accred" and you'll find that it says "no".

I am in the same boat as you right now. My understanding (which at present is possibly too limited) is that accreditation will not affect you if you are going for a Masters. She also said it would play no part in going for a PhD. Now, I am interested in academia, so if what she says is true, I should not have to worry.

She also said that few jobs ask for an accredited degree. However, she then gave a few examples where they most likely will: engineering and investment banking. Given your degree, I thought the latter might be relevant to you.

An undergraduate degree is not the only way to become a chartered physicist (you can do it if you do an MPhys, for example), so in that case, accreditation wouldn't matter. But I don't know if it would be different for you, as I don't even know to which institution you need chartered status (if it even has that).

In other words, I am interested in academia, so I don't think it matters much to me. But if you are not interested in academia, I have a feeling it might be pretty important to you.

I am afraid I don't have all the answers.
Reply 8
Type ctrl+f and put in "accred" and you'll find that it says "no".

I am in the same boat as you right now. My understanding (which at present is possibly too limited) is that accreditation will not affect you if you are going for a Masters. She also said it would play no part in going for a PhD. Now, I am interested in academia, so if what she says is true, I should not have to worry.

She also said that few jobs ask for an accredited degree. However, she then gave a few examples where they most likely will: engineering and investment banking. Given your degree, I thought the latter might be relevant to you.

An undergraduate degree is not the only way to become a chartered physicist (you can do it if you do an MPhys, for example), so in that case, accreditation wouldn't matter. But I don't know if it would be different for you, as I don't even know to which institution you need chartered status (if it even has that).

In other words, I am interested in academia, so I don't think it matters much to me. But if you are not interested in academia, I have a feeling it might be pretty important to you.

I am afraid I don't have all the answers.

Yeah i get it but I think that all the "bigger" universities are interested in, from where you got your degree from and that's where accreditation plays a role. I have yet to talk to the director again as I am thinking of going back to Webster as their degrees are US accredited and they had students in the past who got accepted by London School of Economics.
You're tying yourself in knots over nothing.

Accreditation is an external professional recognition whereby a professional body associated with that specific profession confirm that individuals meet their standards. This explains it quite nicely. Basically, it may matter for entry into certain specific professions, but it doesn't affect the validity of a degree as a degree. So, for example, it's not of the slightest relevance to me personally as I don't plan to enter any profession where it would be relevant; but if I wanted to be, say and engineer, then it would be very relevant and important that I made sure my degree was accredited by the relevant professional body. And, it's something that would only apply to individual programmes, not whole universities.

In the UK, a degree has to be awarded by a recognised awarding body in order for it to, basically, be a degree. This is something that does apply to all universities - either they are able to award degrees, or they aren't. OU degrees are recognised in this way, and someone with one should be perfectly able to get graduate jobs or go on to postgrad study in the UK or elsewhere in the world - but there may be some expectations as to the grades you receive, particularly for competitive pg programmes. Your best bet, if you really want to know where you'd stand, is to contact those universities you're interested in targeting for postgrad study, and ask them directly what they'd be looking for.
Assuming you literally mean accreditation from a professional body, I got into a PhD in genetics with a BSc in genetics (although I have found no evidence that my degree was accredited - I could not even find an organisation that awards them).

I have since found that the Maths and Physics degree is accredited by the Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, if not the IoP (weird). It really is worth checking into these professional bodies yourself.

I've sent an email to someone at Imperial to see if they accept OU degrees as equivalent, or indeed if there are some caveats (accreditation or not). I'll let you know what the result is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
I think the confusion here is between accreditation of institutions (which is mostly an American thing) and accreditation of degrees from professional bodies (may be important for employment in some fields).

The USA has accreditation agencies because their higher education market is almost completely unregulated otherwise. We don't have that because in the U.K. higher education is regulated by the government.

(Although, as it happens, the OU is accredited in the USA, which I think is the result of their attempt to set up there a few years ago)

http://www.msche.org/institutions_view.asp?idinstitution=560

And yes you can do a Masters at Oxbridge with an OU degree, although entry is obviously very competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest