The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ruffiio
Maintenance Loan: £3862

Maintenance Grant: £3387

Bursaries: £1000 cash payment in year 1, My accommodation was also almost completely subsidized in year 1 (I think I only spent roughly £1000 on accommodation in year 1 If I remember correctly)

Scholarships: £0

Savings: £4000 (If you count bursary from year 1 unspent and money left over from student finance in year 1 due to subsidized accommodation) Other than that, nothing.

Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost: In year 1 my accommodation was £79/pw for 42 weeks. My accommodation in 2nd year is £63.50p/w for 50 weeks (£3175)

Weekly spend after Accommodation: After accommodation, I would have to spend £157.48p/w in order to run out of money (completely) However, I actually only spend around £20-30 per week.

If I had a job I would be rolling in moneyz, u jelly? :cool:

Haha nice.You almost get the same as me.

Original post by peedie pixie
No scholarships apply to my course and I don't think bursaries do either.... I work all summer though so I save lots of money then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought since Universities increased there tuition fee, the government said that the universities had to give support to the students in the form of bursaries and scholarships.
Maintenance Loan: £4616
Maintenance Grant:
£1878
Bursaries:
£0
Scholarships:
£0
Savings:
Bit under £10000 now but I don't plan on using any of it (An ISA my parents have put into since I was a baby + a bit of my own savings from the last 2 years at uni)
Money from Parents:
None unless I get short and ask for it

Accommodation Cost:
~£3100 (For entire year)
Weekly spend after Accommodation:
I think about £60 but I don't think about it too much as my normal spending doesn't come near how much I get.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by HarrietROAR
To be fair i live at home still i just want to be able to live off my own back a bit more. But i dont want the full loan or grant, just a bit more to make it a bit easier if that makes sense..
I just feel bad having lived off them for 17 years and not been able to give anything back

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's understandable.
Original post by David B
Haha nice.You almost get the same as me.

I would pretty much have the exact same as you (168) but I changed my final calculation result because i'm paying for my own food over summer while at home otherwise i'd have the same. My savings will be around 3800 when i actually start uni again as a result :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Midnight Star
Maintenance Loan: £4616
Maintenance Grant:
£1878
Bursaries:
£0
Scholarships:
£0
Savings:
Bit under £10000 now but I don't plan on using any of it (An ISA my parents have put into since I was a baby + a bit of my own savings from the last 2 years at uni)
Money from Parents:
None unless I get short and ask for it

Accommodation Cost:
~£3100 (For entire year)
Weekly spend after Accommodation:
I think about £60 but I don't think about it too much as my normal spending doesn't come near how much I get.

What are you planning on using the savings for?

Original post by Ruffiio
I would pretty much have the exact same as you (168) but I changed my final calculation result because i'm paying for my own food over summer while at home otherwise i'd have the same. My savings will be around 3800 when i actually start uni again as a result :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I'll probably have to pay my parents something as well. My contact is only for 37 weeks so the remaining 15 will be spent at home.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by überambitious_ox
Is there anyone else that doesn't have a loan, and everything comes from daddy??

From my friendship group, I'm the only one.

I'm not getting a loan/grant/scholarship/bursary. My parents pay my accommodation (and phone contract) but my food and bills money comes from my savings :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maintenance Loan: £5038
Maintenance Grant: N/A
Bursaries: N/A
Scholarships: I still have to wait until after results day but if I get the scholarship I applied for £20,000 (£5000 per year).
Savings: Ehmm well at the moment about £500. May go down over the summer... Hopefully I can get a job whilst I'm at uni.
Money from Parents: I don't know yet.

Accommodation Cost: £120 p/w (£4680 if I get the accommodation I want)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: No idea. I'll probably have to reduce the amount of food I eat though :redface:
Reply 67
Original post by Moonstruck16
Maintenance Loan: £5038
Maintenance Grant: N/A
Bursaries: N/A
Scholarships: I still have to wait until after results day but if I get the scholarship I applied for £20,000 (£5000 per year).
Savings: Ehmm well at the moment about £500. May go down over the summer... Hopefully I can get a job whilst I'm at uni.
Money from Parents: I don't know yet.

Accommodation Cost: £120 p/w (£4680 if I get the accommodation I want)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: No idea. I'll probably have to reduce the amount of food I eat though :redface:

Wow nice £20,000 from Scholarship. What university are you going too? And what results do you need to get that Scholarship.
Original post by David B
Wow nice £20,000 from Scholarship. What university are you going too? And what results do you need to get that Scholarship.

UCL :smile:
The scholarship isn't really based on my results (well on the website it says academic merit but Idk). As it's a scholarship for people studying biology, I had to write an essay and send a CV + cover letter. Fingers crossed because I need it :P
Reply 69
Original post by Moonstruck16
UCL :smile:
The scholarship isn't really based on my results (well on the website it says academic merit but Idk). As it's a scholarship for people studying biology, I had to write an essay and send a CV + cover letter. Fingers crossed because I need it :P

Awesome.
Original post by David B
What are you planning on using the savings for?

Probably something like a deposit for a house once I leave uni. I doubt I'll need to use them while I'm at university with my loan so I'm just going to not touch them until I actually really need them for something important.
Reply 71
Original post by Midnight Star
Probably something like a deposit for a house once I leave uni. I doubt I'll need to use them while I'm at university with my loan so I'm just going to not touch them until I actually really need them for something important.

That's a good idea
:congrats:
Reply 72
Original post by C-Rooney
Yeah I totally agree, it's a joke! Everyone should be assessed equally. My household income is 55k+ before tax and it's not as if we are rich, my mum and dad have bills to pay, cars, gas and electricity and there is four of us (two brothers and one sister) They should make the threshold 70k+, that's when families are well-off and comfortable.

This exactly. My dad earns about 52K and my mum has recently been unemployed (we have to move about a lot for my dads job) and only just started working a min wage job PURELY so they can afford to help out the little that they can. Without her working more goes out than come in, with her working they have just a little extra. But there's my brother going to uni where the accommodation cost isn't even covered by the loan, so they supposedly have to find the money to pay for him as well as me. It's ridiculous.
Reply 73
Original post by Chlomc
This exactly. My dad earns about 52K and my mum has recently been unemployed (we have to move about a lot for my dads job) and only just started working a min wage job PURELY so they can afford to help out the little that they can. Without her working more goes out than come in, with her working they have just a little extra. But there's my brother going to uni where the accommodation cost isn't even covered by the loan, so they supposedly have to find the money to pay for him as well as me. It's ridiculous.

Yeah I totally agree, it's so annoying! It seems that those whose household income is below 17k seem to be more comfortable than those whose household income exceed 34k. (More loan/grant/scholarship/hardship money) my mum works part-time, and my dad is full-time, I don't expect them to throw money at me because it just doesn't work like that. Also, my dad gets taxed around 1.5k a month. It's ridiculous that the threshold is so low and also that they assess your financial position before tax and not after. I'm glad though that I can live at home, I don't need to worry about accommodation, not that SAAS would give a **** anyway lol. How far is your uni from your home?

Forgot to mention, my dad pays a lot into his NHS pension/superannuation which is A LOT. Student finance doesn't care though lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I totally agree, it's a joke! Everyone should be assessed equally. My household income is 55k+ before tax and it's not as if we are rich, my mum and dad have bills to pay, cars, gas and electricity and there is four of us (two brothers and one sister) They should make the threshold 70k+, that's when families are well-off and comfortable.

Original post by HarrietROAR
Even above 70k its not easy. I.e. cars, kids, pets, nursing home fees for grandparents, travelling to see family etcetc.
Its tough. And its ****ing frustrating. Especially if youre someone that wants to try and be independent of your family but doesnt want the full shabang.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh please, £55k is not comfortable? I swear people on TSR need a reality check.

There are four people in my family on a household income of £15,000 (and no, we don't live in a council house and we're not in receipt of any benefits). That means no holidays, no cars, lots of second hand furniture/school uniforms, freeview TV, no pets, no pocket money when we growing up, no mobile phones or computers which we didn't pay for ourselves, no visiting family that lived beyond a bus ride away. And the thing is, there are millions of people who are far worse off than we were. And you think you deserve the same financial support as me? :rolleyes::lol:

Yeah I totally agree, it's so annoying! It seems that those whose household income is below 17k seem to be more comfortable than those whose household income exceed 34k.

Forgot to mention, my dad pays a lot into his NHS pension/superannuation which is A LOT. Student finance doesn't care though lol.

Says someone who has never experienced life in a low-income household. Your dad's pension contributions might be a lot but at least he can afford to make them - my mum has no pension because she literally could not spare a penny towards it. Count your blessings.
(edited 9 years ago)
Maintenance Loan: None
Maintenance Grant: None
Bursaries: None
Scholarships: Waiting until results day, but hopefully about £1,000
Savings: £700
Money from Parents: If it all goes to plan, maybe £200 every fortnight.

Accommodation Cost: £108 p/w (£4553 if I get the accommodation I want)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £50-£70
Original post by Samual

There are four people in my family on a household income of £15,000 (and no, we don't live in a council house and we're not in receipt of any benefits). That means no holidays, no cars, lots of second hand furniture/school uniforms, freeview TV, no pets, no pocket money wh(en we growing up, no mobile phones or computers which we didn't pay for ourselves, no visiting family that lived beyond a bus ride away. And the thing is, there are millions of people who are far worse off than we were. And you think you deserve the same financial support as me? :rolleyes::lol:

I know right? My parents earn around £13,000 per year and we don't have any benefits (might have working tax credits but not completely sure) we and myself live in a normal house like everybody else, not a council house. I've never been on holiday before in my life, got hardly any money on birthdays growing up, sometimes I'd ask for certain foods when I was younger in high school and college but my mom always said they were too expensive and she couldn't afford to buy them every week and I never grew up with multiple material possessions like lots of people now'adays who spend hundreds of pounds on gadgets.

And don't think I'm being ignorant here, I understand the problem of middle income families being above the threshold, not getting as much student finance support and at the same time having parents unwilling to support them and thus they don't even have enough money to cover rent and have to live in overdraft just to survive and get a part time job alongside their studies.

But people seem to forget about the fact we have had to live on a low family income for all of our lives growing up, £13,000, some people think 20k is low for god sake, some people need to think differently instead of bashing students who come from poor families and get lots of student financial support all the time. It's funny the way he complains about people being over 34k income threshold not getting on well, for what, 3 years minimum? Try living in a low income household for 18 years, bitches.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 77
Okay well this is worrying. I've got no grant and the accommodation is something like 4,000 and I'm getting a loan of 3,400....
The system really is stupid. I'll be going uni this September after having worked in my apprenticeship where I earned a decent wage (for an apprenticeship) and I still live with my parents and have no debts. I also worked a second part time job. Because I'm 25 now they only take my income into account which means I am getting the full loan and grant as well bursaries from the uni. I wouldn't have got anything if my parents income was considered. This is all fine but...

The system doesnt take it account the fact I have saved around £20000 in an ISA, drive an RS Clio worth about £12000 and have absolutely no responsibilities. Now I'm not bragging, I was fully expecting to have to dip into my savings and get rid of my car when I went uni. However there's no point as with the ridiculous amount of "support" I'll receive there's no point. So with grants and bursaries that don't need to be paid back amounting to over around £20000 I'm gonna have more money that I know what to do with. There's no point turning it down but it's totally not fair how I have been given all this when I am fully capable of funding it myself. Oh well that's my ISA allowance and house deposit sorted I guess.

Meanwhile I have friends who got the minimum loan/grant who's parents wouldn't/couldn't support them have to move back home because they couldn't afford uni. Absolutely ridiculous.
Reply 79
Original post by Samual

There are four people in my family on a household income of £15,000 (and no, we don't live in a council house and we're not in receipt of any benefits). That means no holidays, no cars, lots of second hand furniture/school uniforms, freeview TV, no pets, no pocket money when we growing up, no mobile phones or computers which we didn't pay for ourselves, no visiting family that lived beyond a bus ride away. And the thing is, there are millions of people who are far worse off than we were. And you think you deserve the same financial support as me? :rolleyes::lol:

Says someone who has never experienced life in a low-income household. Your dad's pension contributions might be a lot but at least he can afford to make them - my mum has no pension because she literally could not spare a penny towards it. Count your blessings.

I think that students should be assessed equally, regardless of their mum and dads income, they should be assessed as independent students, we aren't children. Also, I do acknowledge that while there are many families who cannot afford to go on holiday, pay for sky, cars and various other luxuries, there are also families who cannot afford to send their child to university even if they exceed the threshold.

Original post by Ruffiio
I know right? My parents earn around £13,000 per year and we don't have any benefits (might have working tax credits but not completely sure) we and myself live in a normal house like everybody else, not a council house. I've never been on holiday before in my life, got hardly any money on birthdays growing up, sometimes I'd ask for certain foods when I was younger in high school and college but my mom always said they were too expensive and she couldn't afford to buy them every week and I never grew up with multiple material possessions like lots of people now'adays who spend hundreds of pounds on gadgets.

And don't think I'm being ignorant here, I understand the problem of middle income families being above the threshold, not getting as much student finance support and at the same time having parents unwilling to support them and thus they don't even have enough money to cover rent and have to live in overdraft just to survive and get a part time job alongside their studies.

But people seem to forget about the fact we have had to live on a low family income for all of our lives growing up, £13,000, some people think 20k is low for god sake, some people need to think differently instead of bashing students who come from poor families and get lots of student financial support all the time. It's funny the way he complains about people being over 34k income threshold not getting on well, for what, 3 years minimum? Try living in a low income household for 18 years, bitches.

3 years? Try 4 years, petal. (Scotland)

I don't see why you're getting worked up? just because my household income exceeds 34k doesn't mean that I'm well off, as said before, my mum and dad have bills to pay. There are so many students who are over the threshold and are unable to pay for accommodation/food as a result.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending