The Student Room Group

how much do you brahs curl?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doob
of course i lift, none of what he said is backed by scientific evidence either, just straight up bro-science

What type of evidence are you looking for?

All the top bodybuilders training that way not good enough for you?

Commandant had been training for many years and runs muscle building websites. He's fairly knowledgeable...
Reply 101
Original post by Motorbiker
What type of evidence are you looking for?

All the top bodybuilders training that way not good enough for you?

Commandant had been training for many years and runs muscle building websites. He's fairly knowledgeable...

I don't think training methods are very important when you are super-dosing with HGH, insulin, IGF-1, test, etc. The problem with looking at the pro's is that the rules of the super-enhanced do not apply to natural bodybuilders. Why on earth you would take training advice from someone who is a genetic outlier and has more drugs in his blood than a racing horse is beyond me.

Look at Dorian Yates, he never trained for more than 50 minutes in the gym, 2-3 working sets for a given bodypart, no slow negatives, low volume and he smoked the opposition.

And even he said he couldn't do this all year round, so he would back off every 8 weeks.

It's not the pro's that even devise their training methods, they have trainers that do that job, they just provide the goods ( i.e the body).
Flex Wheeler and many other pro's have some of the worst training advice to offer, Flex Lewis says he does 100 rep sets for 'blood volumisation' where the influx of blood destroys the muscle tissue lmao.
(edited 9 years ago)
Highest is 37.5kg STRAIGHT bar preacher curl. Way harder than an EZ bar
When I used to be really into it I could do 26 kg Dumbell each arm(only couple of reps though!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doob
I don't think training methods are very important when you are super-dosing with HGH, insulin, IGF-1, test, etc. The problem with looking at the pro's is that the rules of the super-enhanced do not apply to natural bodybuilders. Why on earth you would take training advice from someone who is a genetic outlier and has more drugs in his blood than a racing horse is beyond me.

Look at Dorian Yates, he never trained for more than 50 minutes in the gym, 2-3 working sets for a given bodypart, no slow negatives, low volume and he smoked the opposition.

And even he said he couldn't do this all year round, so he would back off every 8 weeks.

It's not the pro's that even devise their training methods, they have trainers that do that job, they just provide the goods ( i.e the body).
Flex Wheeler and many other pro's have some of the worst training advice to offer, Flex Lewis says he does 100 rep sets for 'blood volumisation' where the influx of blood destroys the muscle tissue lmao.

Bodybuilding is notorious for questionable advice. You can't use Yates as evidence having talked of bbing bs.... for anything - the guy ripped his tricep tendon clean off the bone, snapped bicep tendons etc etc

I agree to a point with commandant - go balls to the walls and you'll succeed. Slow negatives at Commandants stage of training, the high TUT could probably be forcing the adaptation required to gain more muscle (the guy is a beast.) He probably could do something else for the same adaptation, but it's working for him, so why the hell hate?

Personally I explode the hell out of everything as I'm interested in strength more than anything else, that said I lower the weight on bench and when I used to squat before injury slowly, for control but also to get the stretch. Pause work works nicely for this aswell.
26kg on teh barbell before layoff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
5 kg, 5 reps and 5 sets
OI BRAHS little advice please :tongue:

i don't curl as much anymore due to forearm ache after sets. i could do 31.25kg for 3x8, but now i can barely do 30kg (yesterday i did 2x8 then1x4). i get aches on the inner side of my forearm. little advice on how to fix this?

Right now, i know i can loosen tension on the forearm by making sure i dont twist my hands in to me at the top of the curl. i believe the aches on the inner side of my forearms may be due to rotating my wrists outwards, if this is true, i dont know how to fix this. although im considering getting my strap, and placing the end inbetween my hand and the bar (on the inner side of my hands). this will rotate my hands inward a little to compensate. i will try this out tomorrow, but this isnt a solution, its only temporary, i still need to find out how to resolve this aching
Original post by 00100101
OI BRAHS little advice please :tongue:

i don't curl as much anymore due to forearm ache after sets. i could do 31.25kg for 3x8, but now i can barely do 30kg (yesterday i did 2x8 then1x4). i get aches on the inner side of my forearm. little advice on how to fix this?

Right now, i know i can loosen tension on the forearm by making sure i dont twist my hands in to me at the top of the curl. i believe the aches on the inner side of my forearms may be due to rotating my wrists outwards, if this is true, i dont know how to fix this. although im considering getting my strap, and placing the end inbetween my hand and the bar (on the inner side of my hands). this will rotate my hands inward a little to compensate. i will try this out tomorrow, but this isnt a solution, its only temporary, i still need to find out how to resolve this aching

what grip do you use? tried hammer curls?
Original post by illusionz
what grip do you use? tried hammer curls?

using a regular straight bar (fixed weight since it is just 30kg), i try and go for shoulder width (basically, a grip where my arms should be parallel)

havent tried
Original post by 00100101
using a regular straight bar (fixed weight since it is just 30kg), i try and go for shoulder width (basically, a grip where my arms should be parallel)

havent tried

i get wrist pain from bar curls, but hammer curls are fine. Try them next time. Incline hammer curls are the shiz.
Relevant

[video="youtube;GzxRhtZLItY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzxRhtZLItY[/video]
Reply 112
27.5kg seated incline curls. 5 x 5
Reply 113
Original post by 140BPM
27.5kg seated incline curls. 5 x 5

sure...
I did 12.5x5x10 dumbbell rows yesterday if that counts.
Original post by Doob
sure...

what's wrong with that? I used to get 12+ reps with the 27.5kg seated, although the seat was on an angle, not upright.
Reply 116
Original post by Doob
sure...

Lol I'm not exactly a newbie. Why do you think I'm lying?
Original post by 140BPM

Because he can't even row that much
Reply 118
Original post by 140BPM

how many inches are your arms?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 119
Original post by Doob
how many inches are your arms?

I don't measure my arms, but when I find a measuring tape you'll be the first person to know.

Quick Reply

Latest