The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by illusionz
If my BB squat is as strong as my deadlift I can see myself doing a few comps a year or two down the line. However atm I've never done a BB squat so will have to see how they go in new gym come autumn. I'll never be a great powerlifter as my bone density is extremely high -> more mass which isn't muscle. (BMD was 1300 when I had a scan for research purposes a few years ago).

Brah, high bone density is going to add on very little weight! No reason that should stop you from powerlifting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Brah, high bone density is going to add on very little weight! No reason that should stop you from powerlifting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Alberto Nunes' entire skeleton weighed 7lbs in that video? High bone density will be negligible in weight.
If bone density adds a kilo of weight to you id be amazed. Have a look at MBS and Ilidian Stormrages video of Alberto Nunez in the dexa scan.

Having more muscle means higher bone density, all powerlifters have a high Bone Density!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silent ninja
I think Alberto Nunes' entire skeleton weighed 7lbs in that video? High bone density will be negligible in weight.

Yeah it was something like that! Definitely was no higher than 10lbs.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by silent ninja

Original post by Angry cucumber
If bone density adds a kilo of weight to you id be amazed. Have a look at MBS and Ilidian Stormrages video of Alberto Nunez in the dexa scan.

Having more muscle means higher bone density, all powerlifters have a high Bone Density!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair. I've always been pretty heavy, and people are always surprised when I tell them how heavy I am - so I've always presumed that was the reason. Perhaps it's just the larger than average legs.

If my squat is strong then I'll deffo consider it - would be a blast. Think I'd have to work on my bench a fair bit to make starting weights though lol

On that note I think I need to stretch my hip flexors more. I tried 3rd world squats the other day and can barely manage them. Also tried sitting in snatch position after watching commonwealth games and can't get chest up when in that deep squat. Mobility will be required for back squats so going to start working now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Trained today. Had wedding friday and tired/hungover yesterday. Felt better today.

Deadlift (all with chalk)
60x10
100x4
130x3
150x2
170x2
190x1
200x1
210x1 PB
220xf
220x1 PB
Videoed the fail attempt, got it a few inches off the ground then couldn't get more. Someone walked over mid attempt and put themselves next to me. No way I was going to be seen failing in front of someone so after getting my phone (he put himself right in front of it) I pulled again. Got it up. Boom. As this attempt wasn't videoed I tried again after a 5 minute rest but failed. Felt a bit of back rounding so put it down. Ah well, will get a video soon. It's funny because it's not even 5 plates - I have 2x20, 2x15 and 3x10 plates on there lol. Almost running out of room.

Afterwards did
180 x 3, 3

Paused DB OHP
26 5x5 No problems here. Deloaded and pause each rep on shoulders.

Paused Incline DB Press
30 5x5 Easy enough.

BB Row -10%
80 5x5

Dips + 22kg
8, 7, 5

Facepulls 3x10 forgot weight

DB inc hammer curls
16 x 7
14 x 10, 8, 7

Good session. Hands are absolutely raw from the deadlifts - I'm going to need to use straps for a couple of sessions - completely wore through the skin on the first segment of my fingers (the bit which takes the weight of the bar). Still a big PB to get with no straps/belt.

*5 plate deadlift crew*
*only benches 2 plates crew*
(edited 9 years ago)
****kkkk, whats your programming, if any, for deadlfits?
Original post by AreebWithaHat
****kkkk, whats your programming, if any, for deadlfits?

Generally just do linear progression with 1x5. Did that to get from 170x5 to 200x5. Stalling not even once (not including the odd bad workout - never failed a weight two sessions in a row iirc). Last session did a lower weights 180x8 and today I was like screw it, both of those in a 1RM calc suggest 220 so let's go for it.

I may well start a different sort of progression now though as 5 reps of 200kg is almost as horrible as heavy 5x5 squats. The only saving grace is that it's only 1 set!

I've gone for a 1RM when I feel a milestone is reachable, ie 200 or 220.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol I just wanna see JKings reaction

Dat deadlift
Jelly of deadlift.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Lol I just wanna see JKings reaction

Dat deadlift

Sorry to disappoint but 220kg is pretty achievable with a 200*5 best even with not being used to higher intensities :P

But still I wouldn't be surprised if illusionz surpassed my pulling strength after 12-18 months unless I have another nice spurt of deadlift gainz.
Original post by Jtking3000
Sorry to disappoint but 220kg is pretty achievable with a 200*5 best even with not being used to higher intensities :P.

Was much harder than 200x5 tbh. I think generally speaking I'm quite good at higher reps on high proportions of my 1RM. eg my 180x8 has same calc 1RM as 200x5 (just above 220) but felt I could have repped at least 1 more tbh. Both of these were significantly easier than 220x1.

Probably a result of almost exclusively training 5 rep sets so not being used to the high intensity rep as you said.
Sorry to disappoint but 220kg is pretty achievable with a 200*5 best even with not being used to higher intensities :P

But still I wouldn't be surprised if illusionz surpassed my pulling strength after 12-18 months unless I have another nice spurt of deadlift gainz.

12-18 months?!?! I don't think you realize just how crazy fast illusionz has been progressing his deadlift with no signs of stalling...
Original post by In One Ear
12-18 months?!?! I don't think you realize just how crazy fast illusionz has been progressing his deadlift with no signs of stalling...

True :frown:

I am assuming that he's ran out of noob gains.

I was referring to you saying somewhere that you couldn't believe the rate of progress on his DLs :tongue:

True :frown:

I am assuming that he's ran out of noob gains.

He's still in linear progression :lol:
Hungover today. Pretty weak.

Paused bench
75 5x5

Row
90 2x5
85 3x5

Shrugs
112.5 3x8

Pulldowns - various, can't remember weight of different blocks

skipped arm work as tired
How hard do you find paused bench compared to t&g? When I'm out of linear I'll probably start paused
Original post by ljoshl91
How hard do you find paused bench compared to t&g? When I'm out of linear I'll probably start paused

Personally about 5kg, maybe less
Last time I did it I got 5 easy reps out on 80 and 4 on 85. My t&g 5RM is 85 and have only ever got 4 on 87.5.

I've deloaded though.
Had a rather heavy week and drank too much - not trained since tues as a result as been too hungover/busy during days and nights anyway. Sleep been very lacking, diet been shocking - alcohol, kebabs and pizza probably making at least 50% of my calorific intake past few days.

DL
Warmups felt heavy, decided not to push it
180x3 grip failed after 3...
190x3 (straps)

Paused DB OHP
26 x 5
28 x 5, 5
26 x 5, 5
Decent enough. Paused is much harder than bouncing.

BB Row -10%
60x8
80 5x5

supersetted with

Paused DB Incline Press
30 5x5

Dips + 20 kg
7, 6, 5

supersetted with

Facepulls
36 3 x 10

DB Hammer curls
16 x 10, 7, 7
Standing as both benches taken.

Decent session apart from DLs. They're the lift which suffer the most when I'm not feeling top notch so not unexpected. Was in a rush as left it a bit late to go so ended up supersetting the less important movements. Did rows/inc press/facepulls and dips in under 30 minutes. I actually quite liked supersetting rows with inc press as neither are that taxing and it saves time. Plus makes you work harder. Shoulders and triceps were fried when I got to dips though.

Quick Reply

Latest