The Student Room Group

Do I need another laptop?

I've got a 17" laptop and there's no way I'll be doing anything else other than leaving it in my room. I'll be doing computer science and while I assume I won't need another laptop because there are labs, I see some people saying that you'll need a laptop to take with you. I'm not too eager to shell out £300-700 on a smaller piece of kit. Wouldn't mind getting a tablet or surface, but if I don't need it...

Any advice?
(edited 9 years ago)
If your uni is anything like mine, the library will have like, 150 computers to go between 16,000 students. There are various other computer rooms all over campus, but again, not enough. If I didn't have my laptop with me I'd be screwed.
Reply 2
Original post by GoingToBurst
If your uni is anything like mine, the library will have like, 150 computers to go between 16,000 students. There are various other computer rooms all over campus, but again, not enough. If I didn't have my laptop with me I'd be screwed.

I've got a good idea of my course but I'm still not sure if I'll need a laptop for it or not. Like I said, I wouldn't mind a surface if it worked but I doubt it work. I wouldn't even mind getting a 13" laptop if I was going to be using it a lot. Just reluctant to buy one only to find out I won't need it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TerryWassell
I've got a good idea of my course but I'm still not sure if I'll need a laptop for it or not. Like I said, I wouldn't mind a surface if it worked but I doubt it work. I wouldn't even mind getting a 13" laptop if I was going to be using it a lot. Just reluctant to buy one only to find out I won't need it.

Well I assume you'll have some kind of research to do/essays to write etc? A lot of academic sources are made available online (at least the are at my uni) through the library website, it's really useful to have your own laptop with you to access those things during the day or work on coursework during the day when you have a break but aren't going back to your place.
Reply 4
Original post by GoingToBurst
Well I assume you'll have some kind of research to do/essays to write etc? A lot of academic sources are made available online (at least the are at my uni) through the library website, it's really useful to have your own laptop with you to access those things during the day or work on coursework during the day when you have a break but aren't going back to your place.

That's true. I just don't know if most of my work will be done in the labs or not.
Original post by TerryWassell
That's true. I just don't know if most of my work will be done in the labs or not.

I wouldn't have thought so, but then I don't do that course so I can't say for sure. You definitely won't be writing essays/reports in your labs though. You might be doing work that can be used in the coursework, but you will have external work to do. I know loads of people that don't take their laptops to uni though, so it's not like you can't go to uni without a laptop, but it's certainly much easier.
Reply 6
I managed to get through all 3 years of my CS degree without a laptop so you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending