The Student Room Group

Wrong History AS Level marking?

Hi guys

I got my Edexcel history AS result back yesterday , it was quiet confusing.
I managed to get full marks on unit 1 and 48/100 e on unit 2 , could there be an error somewhere....
It just feel weird getting full marks in one and getting e in the other...
I have never got worse than a B in classes and mocks.

Scroll to see replies

I've got the same problem :frown: In all the mocks, I've been getting A's and never less than 27/30 on each question. Somehow, I got 64/100 on one and 62/100 on the other. I know it's a similar mark on both of them so it makes it look less than a mistake but how can I go from getting top marks to this despite doing hours and hours of revision. I'm so upset :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by TinyPuppyPaws
I've got the same problem :frown: In all the mocks, I've been getting A's and never less than 27/30 on each question. Somehow, I got 64/100 on one and 62/100 on the other. I know it's a similar mark on both of them so it makes it look less than a mistake but how can I go from getting top marks to this despite doing hours and hours of revision. I'm so upset :frown:

Yeah...
My other grades were also a lot lower than I expected , but the history is definitely the weirdest one for me. I don't see how is it possible for me to get 100/100 on one and 48/100 on the other...
Original post by TinyPuppyPaws

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL! I was predicted A's in History and I worked so hard all year round, even self teaching to get ahead of everyone, yet I somehow came out with two C's (both similar UMS)...
Reply 4
Original post by lightningdoritos
THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL! I was predicted A's in History and I worked so hard all year round, even self teaching to get ahead of everyone, yet I somehow came out with two C's (both similar UMS)...

The even weirder thing is that I have done a question that is similar to the section B question before , and I got 36/40 for that. I just feel that there must be a mistake somewhere...
Well **** :/ Clearly I chose the wrong subject for AS :redface:
I was predicted As in History, got As in every single essay I did during AS and managed to get Ds in both exams. I knew I messed up slightly in one exam, but the first exam I really didn't feel went that badly. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do about it though. I've had to drop it though it is going to affect my chances of getting into uni as I want to do an English degree and having an A-Level in History really helps.
I got 78 and 80 for History (Edexcel) but was hoping for higher, as I'd done pretty well all throughout the year. I tend to get around 26/27 out of 30 for the mocks and homework, but converting the UMS I got around 20/21 in both which is kinda weird...going to remark though, and see what happens
Reply 8
Original post by ElementaryMyDear
I was predicted As in History, got As in every single essay I did during AS and managed to get Ds in both exams. I knew I messed up slightly in one exam, but the first exam I really didn't feel went that badly. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do about it though. I've had to drop it though it is going to affect my chances of getting into uni as I want to do an English degree and having an A-Level in History really helps.

I just find the extremity hard to believe
Original post by Dzporkpie
I just find the extremity hard to believe

Okay? I have no reason to lie on here so I don't see why you wouldn't... If it makes it easier to believe I find exams and revision hard because I have ADHD so probably wouldn't have got As anyway.
Reply 10
Okay? I have no reason to lie on here so I don't see why you wouldn't... If it makes it easier to believe I find exams and revision hard because I have ADHD so probably wouldn't have got As anyway.

Well...
I wanted to do law at Oxford and was thinking about declaring my UMS scores for history...
Obviously 100/100 on unit1 looks good , but an e...
Well...
I wanted to do law at Oxford and was thinking about declaring my UMS scores for history...
Obviously 100/100 on unit1 looks good , but an e...

"Conditional offers are made on the basis of final grades alone and not UMS scores."

Oxford don't look at UMS scores - they look at overall grades. If you can get an A overall at A2 or can say that you passed a fourth subject at AS there is no reason to assume they won't consider you.
Reply 12
"Conditional offers are made on the basis of final grades alone and not UMS scores."

Oxford don't look at UMS scores - they look at overall grades. If you can get an A overall at A2 or can say that you passed a fourth subject at AS there is no reason to assume they won't consider you.

It also says that you can declare your UMS , and tutors like it...
Btw , I was hoping to get an A in history to get AAA...
Reply 13
I'm the same too! I've never gotten lower than an A in history in my life, and ended up getting a B, 4 marks off an A, yesterday! People at my school who are great at history are getting weird marks, way lower than expected. I'm so disappointed, and I know a B is good, but I feel like I should have got higher.
Remark it is! (Followed by probably resit.)
It also says that you can declare your UMS , and tutors like it...
Btw , I was hoping to get an A in history to get AAA...

Okay, maybe you need to think about whether declaring your UMS will actually be beneficial to you if you got an E in an exam? Or just retake the E and not worry? I'm pretty sure it says on the Oxford website somewhere that they know people have bad days and are happy to allow 1 or 2 module retakes...
Reply 15
Original post by CescaD96
I'm the same too! I've never gotten lower than an A in history in my life, and ended up getting a B, 4 marks off an A, yesterday! People at my school who are great at history are getting weird marks, way lower than expected. I'm so disappointed, and I know a B is good, but I feel like I should have got higher.
Remark it is! (Followed by probably resit.)

Yeah..
I was just wondering could there have been a mistake somewhere?
Reply 16
Yeah..

I'm wondering that too. I'm in Northern Ireland, my board is CCEA and usually they're ok, but it's a bit of a joke in my eyes.
Yeah..

Possibly. You could ask for a remark or get your paper back to see what went wrong? It's unlikely that it will be remarked as an A though so I think it's more likely that you answered a question wrong and need to do a retake. It's probably best to contact your head of Sixth Form and/or History teachers to talk it through though.
Reply 18
Possibly. You could ask for a remark or get your paper back to see what went wrong? It's unlikely that it will be remarked as an A though so I think it's more likely that you answered a question wrong and need to do a retake. It's probably best to contact your head of Sixth Form and/or History teachers to talk it through though.

I have...
They said go for a remark , but my other results were also dodgy...
Reply 19

It would also be unlikely that I answered the wrong question , as my topic were hugely different to the others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending