The Student Room Group

Tight foreskin - having frenuloplasty but...

Basically, I've had problems with my unit for a while now. Very sore/oversensitive, can't retract foreskin properly. Was prescribed a steroid cream which did approximately nothing.

Went to the urologist, he agreed with my doctor that my frenulum is too tight (which it most definitely is). However I can't see how this is causing all the inflammation around the head? (yes, my hygiene is wonderful)

The end of the foreskin itself just seems too tight. It's fine flaccid but erect there's sort of an upsidedown funnel shape.

Has anyone else had a frenuloplasty? Did that resolve all your symptoms?

I'm just worried I will need a second surgery. With university coming up in September I obviously wouldn't have chance until next year :/
Reply 1
Just as a follow up, I had this done today on the NHS. From seeing a urologist to the operation was just over a month.

It was under a local. Not going to lie, I was ****ting bricks going into the theatre, as I've had a local before and I felt every last thing. But this time, everything went wonderfully, apart from some mild discomfort during the surgery.

It took about 15 minutes, and about an hour after reentering the ward I was good to go home. Given cocodamol and told to remove bandage in the morning or tonight. Very little pain but it is bruised, and fluorescent pink from the antiseptic that was used.

Hopefully the pain doesn't kick in later. :tongue:
Reply 2
Last update, mostly for the purposes of those who are doing research into having the operation done (I looked at a lot of TSR threads for people's experiences).

Other people are saying their bleeding went on for days, but mine has almost completely stopped since about 6 hours after the operation. I can also retract my foreskin pretty well (again, unlike others who said they were unable to do so for weeks), but don't want to go too far in case I aggravate it. Keeping it clean with epsom salt water twice a day.

Almost no pain from the wound, and I took the bandage off after about 6 hours also, as I needed to urinate and there wasn't enough of an opening. Aside from bruising and obviously the incision it all looks pretty normal, really.

Just need to wait for it to heal now!
Wow a month is very fast! I have looked a lot online about such issues, but I have not yet been able to motivate myself to actually go to the GP. Could you please give an update when you feel it if fully healed?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Wow a month is very fast! I have looked a lot online about such issues, but I have not yet been able to motivate myself to actually go to the GP. Could you please give an update when you feel it if fully healed?

I know yeah, I was sure I'd have to find a private surgeon! Most people seem to be waiting months!

Mate, if you think you need it done, get it done. I put it off for years, now that I've had it done, I can already tell things are way better. The constant soreness/inflammation has already gone away.

As far as healing goes so far - it all looks pretty normal, minimal pain, none when pitching a tent or when urinating. Stopped bleeding the same day of the surgery and no nasty smells that other people reported. Obviously I still can't do anything with it for another month yet though!
Hi, thanks for posting on here! My boyfriend has this issue and may be having this operation - he is like you were, incredibly nervous.. If you don't mind me asking have you lost any sensitivity? That is the main concern for him.
I know yeah, I was sure I'd have to find a private surgeon! Most people seem to be waiting months!

Mate, if you think you need it done, get it done. I put it off for years, now that I've had it done, I can already tell things are way better. The constant soreness/inflammation has already gone away.

As far as healing goes so far - it all looks pretty normal, minimal pain, none when pitching a tent or when urinating. Stopped bleeding the same day of the surgery and no nasty smells that other people reported. Obviously I still can't do anything with it for another month yet though!

I had this op done last week. Did the doc leave the glans exposed after the operation?

My glans is really sensitive and it's been painful even putting boxers on given that a slight touch of the glans sends me into shivers of pain. Thinking of pushing the foreskin back over my glans but not sure if I'm supposed to do that yet.
Reply 7
Hi, thanks for posting on here! My boyfriend has this issue and may be having this operation - he is like you were, incredibly nervous.. If you don't mind me asking have you lost any sensitivity? That is the main concern for him.

I still can't give it a test drive for another few weeks but it doesn't seem to have done. But at any rate it will be far more enjoyable than constantly irritating his banjo string, I would bet. Probably best ask his doc.

At least if such a thing did happen he'd gain a bit of stamina :tongue:

I had this op done last week. Did the doc leave the glans exposed after the operation?

My glans is really sensitive and it's been painful even putting boxers on given that a slight touch of the glans sends me into shivers of pain. Thinking of pushing the foreskin back over my glans but not sure if I'm supposed to do that yet.

Nah mine was just bandaged extremely tightly (still bruised from where the bandage was actually).

It really seems to vary - I was able to retract a day after an operation, other people can't.

Though a week down the line, it's gone from being not really that painful to being really quite painful and difficult to retract. Kind of worried I have an infection tbh.
Can you explain the operation? I'm 17 and SURE I need it. Just...kinda scared you know :frown:
Reply 9
Can you explain the operation? I'm 17 and SURE I need it. Just...kinda scared you know :frown:

They kind of cut the frenulum lengthways and stitch it back so that it can retract a lot further. It looks like it's gone completely but it isn't. On the glans, there is a sort of space where the frenulum was. I'm still not 100% sure what they did with it myself.

As for the operation, the most painful part was having injections done (they give you spinal, or like I had, directly into your snake). The operation itself was more or less painless, and took maybe 15 minutes or so (which is nothing compared to preop really). Obviously you can have a general too if you so desire.

One way of telling is when erect, to feel how tight the band is. It should be pretty obvious if it's too tight. Note that you may also have a small degree of phimosis too which could confuse you (I fixed mine with stretching though).

Also, to those who get tempted, you /do/ need to wait the full 3 weeks before doing anything with it. I caved in after 10 days thinking it was mostly healed. Let's just say it really wasn't pretty.
Follow up to this, the frenuloplasty was unsuccessful as I still had the same tightness issues. So I had a circumcision today.

Has anyone jumped through the same hoops? I am really worried I will have lost most of my sensitivity as I have now lost my foreskin and most of my frenulum.
Reply 11
Follow up to this, the frenuloplasty was unsuccessful as I still had the same tightness issues. So I had a circumcision today.

Has anyone jumped through the same hoops? I am really worried I will have lost most of my sensitivity as I have now lost my foreskin and most of my frenulum.

Sorry to hear about your plight buddy, I never had the operation and it's not fully answering your question but i fully ripped my banjo string years ago and it's one of the best things that i've ever done actually. No loss of sensitivity at all and improved things for the better. Try not to stress on it too much man, just focus on healing up and go from there

ahh sorry to hear that. I had to have a circumcision and even though its worrying at first u get used to it after a while and it gets better soon
Original post by Gutt_TU
Sorry to hear about your plight buddy, I never had the operation and it's not fully answering your question but i fully ripped my banjo string years ago and it's one of the best things that i've ever done actually. No loss of sensitivity at all and improved things for the better. Try not to stress on it too much man, just focus on healing up and go from there

Original post by Welshmike92
ahh sorry to hear that. I had to have a circumcision and even though its worrying at first u get used to it after a while and it gets better soon

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Just changed the bandage ~36 hours after the surgery (they actually gave me no instructions as I initially had complications post-op so I think it got forgotten!).

One (just the one) of the sutures is burst from morning wood, felt it happen, seems to be fairly common so I think it's not an issue? Did anyone get the same?
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Just changed the bandage ~36 hours after the surgery (they actually gave me no instructions as I initially had complications post-op so I think it got forgotten!).

One (just the one) of the sutures is burst from morning wood, felt it happen, seems to be fairly common so I think it's not an issue? Did anyone get the same?

I'm really sorry to hear about all this. I can't offer any advice being a girl and all, but I hope that things start looking up a bit and that the circumcision prevents any further pain. Best wishes.
Day 8 of recovery. Couldn't resist jerking off so I took the risk. Does anyone know if the sensitivity is reduced significantly during healing? Because holy **** that was incredible. I was so worried I was going to lose all sensation!

No bleeding either amazingly, though I had to be very careful. (I remember trying 2 weeks after my initial frenuloplasty and it was a bloodbath)
thanks for the updates. How are you now? i am having the frenuloplasty in a week or so, but have the same doubts that it wont resolve the minor phimosis i have when erect. So will prob be looking at a circumcision too in the new year perhaps...

Quick Reply

Latest