The Student Room Group

cant get stronger on military press

been stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks now on ICF 5x5
i could increase the weight but then i end up bending my back to help push the weight up

is a perfectly straight spine necessary or can you lean back like Dan Green?

[video="youtube;-3rq6Wgyf5Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-3rq6Wgyf5Y#t=0[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Eat more
Actually do ICF5X5

/Thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
did you even read the faq?

deload by 10% then work back up
Reply 3
Original post by Greg Jackson
did you even read the faq?

deload by 10% then work back up

ive done that, it didnt work
Original post by Doob
been stuck at the same weight for 2 weeks now on ICF 5x5
i could increase the weight but then i end up bending my back to help push the weight up

is a perfectly straight spine necessary or can you lean back like Dan Green?

[video="youtube;-3rq6Wgyf5Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-3rq6Wgyf5Y#t=0[/video]

Straight spine is necessary for those new to OH press until you know the limits of your back better. Some people get away with bending back like dan green, big Z leans back quite considerably as well.

Just don't do it so much that you're basically benching. That's one of the reasons the OH press was taken out of Olympic weightlifting comps, because people leaned back so much it was no longer an OH press.
Reply 5
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
Straight spine is necessary for those new to OH press until you know the limits of your back better. Some people get away with bending back like dan green, big Z leans back quite considerably as well.

Just don't do it so much that you're basically benching. That's one of the reasons the OH press was taken out of Olympic weightlifting comps, because people leaned back so much it was no longer an OH press.

its almost impossible for me to progress with a straight back, all my other lifts are increasing
Original post by Doob
its almost impossible for me to progress with a straight back, all my other lifts are increasing

Yet you are not "progressing" if you just continually lean back more and more to mask your non-increasing strength due to the leverage advantage you are gaining from leaning back.

Many people hit a wall with OHP before their other lifts, its a hard lift to keep increasing!
Original post by Doob

Lower the weight, straighten your back, increase OH press volume, eat more.
It is a compound movement, so how strong are the secondary muscles within this lift?
Any lagging muscle groups?
Reply 9
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
It is a compound movement, so how strong are the secondary muscles within this lift?
Any lagging muscle groups?

My shoulders are really lagging (surprise surprise), ive got dem crab arms.
I side raise 4.5KG for 3 sets of 9 reps good form, no swinging.
I Reverse fly 5.5KG for 3 sets of 12 reps good form, no swinging.
My triceps are alright, 20KG behind the neck extensions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Start by deloading again. If this doesn't work, move to step two.

Reduce the number of reps per set.You could go all the way down to one rep per set if it helps you progress. You'll grow far stronger doing 1x5 on say 100kg than trying and failing to get through 3.x at 70kg. The goal is just to get stronger. When you hit a high weight, you'll find that old 5x5 70kg attempt is a piece of piss.
Doob your whole body is lagging, you don't even bench a plate.

Do the programme in its entirety, then see. Also if your doing more isolation exercises than in the programme, that could well be a reason why.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Doob your whole body is lagging, you don't even bench a plate.

Do the programme in its entirety, then see. Also if your doing more isolation exercises than in the programme, that could well be a reason why.

feels
Why on earth is ICF 5x5 so popular?
Original post by ElChapo
Why on earth is ICF 5x5 so popular?

beginner program with accessory work = strength, and your body actually looks better.
Original post by tehforum
beginner program with accessory work = strength, and your body actually looks better.

Where is the proof for your body looking better on this program?
Original post by ElChapo
Where is the proof for your body looking better on this program?

because its a true full body program.

Squats, deads, OHP, rows, and bench.

Accessory work including curls, tricep extensions, shrugs.
Original post by tehforum
because its a true full body program.

Squats, deads, OHP, rows, and bench.

Accessory work including curls, tricep extensions, shrugs.

I would follow one of these programs if I went to a less busy gym maybe, it's a pain in the ass if you try and follow these programs exactly. Also I've read in so many places that 8-12 is the rep range you target ideally for hypertrophy, and 5 reps is more for strength. Therefore won't your gains be slower on these programs?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by ElChapo
Also I've read in so many places that 8-12 is the rep range you target ideally for hypertrophy, and 5 reps is more for strength. Therefore won't your gains be slower on these programs?

Not so sure about "slower" (maybe?) but it's not optimal for muscle gain particularly, different people will react differently to different rep ranges I guess. I'm currently testing it out myself have recently changed my workouts to a 8-12 rep range and will keep at it for a while and see if I get any good gains from this.

However all the muscle I have gained to date was from doing pretty much 6-8 reps in every one of my workouts(lifting as heavy as i can obviously).
(edited 9 years ago)
maybe it's just genetics; some people just have weak shoulders (e.g. me)

stick at it - deload but keep strict form, don't bend your back like in that video. I once tried Blaha's tip to use the thumbless grip to incorporate more triceps which I thought helped if you're not already doing that. Also always remember squeeze your glutes and quads, and brace your core when you OHP to ensure you're super tight and lifting efficiently.

Quick Reply

Latest