The Student Room Group

criminal record

don't know if this is the right place for this but basically just looking for some advice from people who may have been in the same boat as me.

Basically at the age of about 15 I went through the typical rebellion stage but maybe to a bit more of an extreme than others and ended up with a conviction for common assault, and a few cautions for drunk and disorderly offences.

I'm now 22, turned my life around and have 2 little boys. A partner and we've bought our own house, obviously I'm nothing like the person I was then, I don't know maybe people who still mirror their 15 year old self.

Basically I've started an access course for access to health professions and the goal is to get in to university to do mental health nursing. Is this going to be possible for me? I really don't want to work my a**e off for nothing. I'm working at distinction level and hopefully if I shine academically they could overlook things? Super stressed and emotional at the moment just looking for some peace of mind I suppose

thanks in advance
not sure about the UK (though care homes seem to employ any old moron to work there) but here in Ireland you would have no chance of finding work with a criminal record.

Id imagine that you would have very little chance as Id expect those jobs to have CRB/criminal background checks. You might get away with being up front and honest about it - but i would be very surprised. You are dealing with extremely vulnerable people.
Original post by Kaylxo
don't know if this is the right place for this but basically just looking for some advice from people who may have been in the same boat as me.

Basically at the age of about 15 I went through the typical rebellion stage but maybe to a bit more of an extreme than others and ended up with a conviction for common assault, and a few cautions for drunk and disorderly offences.

I'm now 22, turned my life around and have 2 little boys. A partner and we've bought our own house, obviously I'm nothing like the person I was then, I don't know maybe people who still mirror their 15 year old self.

Basically I've started an access course for access to health professions and the goal is to get in to university to do mental health nursing. Is this going to be possible for me? I really don't want to work my a**e off for nothing. I'm working at distinction level and hopefully if I shine academically they could overlook things? Super stressed and emotional at the moment just looking for some peace of mind I suppose

thanks in advance

Having a criminal record isn't a complete barrier to becoming a nurse. They tend to look at things like this at a case by case basis, honesty is the best policy here though. The convictions will show on your DBS check, so make sure you declare them when applying for uni and for jobs. They will probably want to chat to you about it, just say what you have here.
MoonKatt provides good advice as usual .

unless you are subject to a DBS barring condition it is likely that the criminal record mentioned may not prove an issue.

theft and fraud are more likely to cause problems than juvenile common assault / D+D or S. 5 Public order
Generally what would happen is you would have to declare it on your Uni application. Then they may ask you about it at interview. If not they might get you to come in and talk to them if they were likely to make you an offer. I had a friend in my course with a criminal conviction from when he was younger and it didn't stop him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i would have repped both Moonkatt and Happy Holidays for their replies but i haven't reated enough others recently to be able ot rep them again ...
Reply 6
Whilst the universities conduct a CRB/DBS check to ensure you are safe to go out on placement - it's also to screen for folk who have convictions that would prevent them from gaining paid employment upon qualifying. They also do not want to train/fund a 3 year course for someone when there is no gain for anyone involved at the end. Although it may be disappointing, the advantage is that you won't have to 'work your a*se' off for 3 years to find out.

With that in mind, I'd really suggest giving the admissions tutors a call and talk it through with them. Trust me, this will be a conversation they have had with many people and they'll be best placed to advise you. It'll also give you some practice at disclosing - if you are successful, you will still have to have this conversation with every new employer you have.

As has already been said, a criminal record is not an automatic exclusion. I write this post with a less than perfect history myself (my teens were spent rough sleeping and with documented run ins for soliciting and heroin use). I've also spent the last 10 years working "in the field" in jobs which all required a CRB check.

Individual circumstances are important. Honesty and transparency is essential!

Speak to those that can give you the answers you need to put your mind to rest. Go on, what are you waiting for?!

All the best
Reply 7
The cautions won't show up, they get removed after 2 years when you were under 18 at time time. If you didn't go to prison for assault then it won't show up after 5.5 years (again less time because you were under 18).

The process is called filtering, you can double check the guidance on the government's website.

However read application forms carefully, they might request you to tell them of any offences and cautions. If you lie on a application then are later caught out on it you can be fired/kicked off your course. But if it doesn't come back on a criminal record check they can't consider it a problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
BKS - contact jobs in healthcare exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act - everything shows up on a enhanced disclosure .
I would also say where one Uni might say no because of your DBS another might say yes. My friend was told he couldn't go to a certain Uni because of his past history as the trust wouldn't accept him. Yet 2 other uni's accepted him and he's now registered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zippyRN
BKS - contact jobs in healthcare exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act - everything shows up on a enhanced disclosure .

They are still wiped after a certain time period. Even on an enhanced DBS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When i studied nursing there was a guy in my year who had similar convictions to you he still got a place on the course. So it may be brought up in your interview but you can still get on a course.

My mum has a conviction too and she is currently working as a band 7 midwife. She does often have to explain herself when she applies for new jobs but it has never prevented her from getting good employment or doing extra qualifications.
Original post by Kaylxo

thanks in advance

Hi did u get any luck with getting into uni

Quick Reply

Latest