The Student Room Group

Change stereo, insurance impact?

So, my little old Focus has a good old fashioned cassette deck, at the moment I'm using one of those tape to 3.5mm audio adapters and to be honest it's working pretty well.

I've seen a deal for a cheap £40 Philips stereo with proper aux, usb etc, will swapping them out affect my insurance, I know I could just not tell them, but I'd rather do it if needed.

The other option I was debating was an ipod kit for my old stereo, but that costs about the same as a new stereo anyway, so seems silly.

Also am I likely to get broken into/robbed more if I swap it, I imagine I am, a friend got his window smashed when he upgraded his, and my car doesn't even have an alarm so....
Obviously people are unlikely to break into a car for a tape player as it stands.
Original post by theronkinator
So, my little old Focus has a good old fashioned cassette deck, at the moment I'm using one of those tape to 3.5mm audio adapters and to be honest it's working pretty well.

I've seen a deal for a cheap £40 Philips stereo with proper aux, usb etc, will swapping them out affect my insurance, I know I could just not tell them, but I'd rather do it if needed.

The other option I was debating was an ipod kit for my old stereo, but that costs about the same as a new stereo anyway, so seems silly.

Also am I likely to get broken into/robbed more if I swap it, I imagine I am, a friend got his window smashed when he upgraded his, and my car doesn't even have an alarm so....
Obviously people are unlikely to break into a car for a tape player as it stands.

Pretty sure it doesn't........I believe its when you change the speakers, etc it counts as a mod.

Get one where you can remove the fascia.

No they just wont pay out for it if you ever have to claim on your car.

Car stereos don't get robbed much anymore seeing as they're not worth much.
You can usually take the front plate off if you're worried but I haven't bothered doing that the past 2 years.

Remember you need to buy a wiring harness adapter for the stereo to work. and probably an aerial adapter.

No- you dont have to inform the insurance about changing the radio.
I changed the radio on my last 2 cars (they had a tape player in as well) and didnt need to.
And i wouldnt worry about your radio getting robbed, they dont get nicked much nowadays, like they used to.
Thanks, bought it and just waiting for the fitting kit. Did some more research and apparently some companies are picky about it, but Axa doesn't need declaring upto £1000 so my £40 is fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending