The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Parking your car at University of Surrey

Hi All!

Was told that there is only parking available in the band A and B rooms at surrey. However is this just the official word or is there actually parking available (between 18.30 and 8.30am) either in the uni or nearby (for free or low cost) for the Band D rooms (ensuite res)

Quote below.

"The only Courts of Residence with parking for residents are at Hazel Farm and Bellerby Court. Residents of the Campus Courts and Manor Park may not bring a car."

Is there no chance of parking in campus courts/manor park or do you think it's possible for the hours mentioned.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by J77
Hi All!

Was told that there is only parking available in the band A and B rooms at surrey. However is this just the official word or is there actually parking available (between 18.30 and 8.30am) either in the uni or nearby (for free or low cost) for the Band D rooms (ensuite res)

Quote below.

"The only Courts of Residence with parking for residents are at Hazel Farm and Bellerby Court. Residents of the Campus Courts and Manor Park may not bring a car."

Is there no chance of parking in campus courts/manor park or do you think it's possible for the hours mentioned.

Thanks!

For what exactly?

If you want a car there permanently you need to live at Bellerby or Hazel Farm.

If it is just temporary parking like for a few hours, yes.

If you want an overnight I am not sure you may have to pay to put it in the main car park
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
J77
OP
Original post by The Beaver
For what exactly?

If you want a car there permanently you need to live at Bellerby or Hazel Farm.

If it is just temporary parking like for a few hours, yes.

If you want an overnight I am not sure you may have to pay to put it in the main car park

I'd be staying there for the month of july. I'd be commuting to work and at work all day so would only need parking from 6.30pm until 8ish the next morning. I'd be gone at all other times really. Is there any parking nearby if not on campus? Most public parking would be free for those hours wouldnt it?
Reply 3
Original post by J77
I'd be staying there for the month of july. I'd be commuting to work and at work all day so would only need parking from 6.30pm until 8ish the next morning. I'd be gone at all other times really. Is there any parking nearby if not on campus? Most public parking would be free for those hours wouldnt it?

Not the university parking as in the main car parks. Better to actually ask the university themselves and then find out that way, in case you need to buy a permit for the month.
Reply 4
Original post by J77

You won't be able to get a permit for the main car park at the university, however I think the car park is free after 5 or 6PM until 7 or 8AM the next morning, so depending on timings you may get lucky there. There's also the car park to the back of the station which runs alongside one end of campus, so you may be able to time in there, or pay for an hour or so a day.

Other than that the only thing I can think of would be to apply for a standard 1 month permit from any car park in the area that offer it or just pay daily at the meter in the car park.
I asked a court reception staff member this question, apparently any car park on campus is free overnight (i think it was 8pm - 7am).

This includes both main carparks, the parking behind uni court, and the spaces up at Wates house (where i left mine).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
There is a carpark close to campus (station end) which is £4.50 all day and its a guildford council carpark so anyonw can use it. I dont know if you have to pay to leave it over night.
Hi,

Im trying to work out if there is any way I could bring my car with me to surrey in sept. Im staying in Guildford court, but I'm going to really struggle to get to and from my work in Sutton without a car (2 hour train journey/walk at 10pm doesnt really appeal, especially in the dark...)

Is is a real possibility to find a quiet street or residential area near the university to park on, or are there strict rules preventing you doing this?
Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by fiona.silver
Hi,

Im trying to work out if there is any way I could bring my car with me to surrey in sept. Im staying in Guildford court, but I'm going to really struggle to get to and from my work in Sutton without a car (2 hour train journey/walk at 10pm doesnt really appeal, especially in the dark...)

Is is a real possibility to find a quiet street or residential area near the university to park on, or are there strict rules preventing you doing this?
Thanks

There's plenty of streets you can park on if you don't mind a 10-20 minute walk to and from the campus. They're just normal streets, no yellow lines, so assuming you can find a space (and the residents don't get annoyed) you should be fine.
Reply 9
where are these streets? do you know?
Original post by aisha-h
where are these streets? do you know?

Just general residential areas. It's a bit of an iffy move as it's likely to annoy the local residents if you're taking parking which they need, but it's not technically illegal and won't get you a ticket.

So it's just a case of finding somewhere near the university where you can park, that's within an acceptable walking distance for you.
Reply 11
Thanks, but i walked around everywhere. It is all pay and display >.<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending