The Student Room Group

AS and A2 results

I'm unsure about the 4th AS level which one usually drops.

So i'm doing mathsx2, physics and computing.

say i were to get for AS (in subject order) A, A, B, A

Say i dropped Physics and continued with mathsx2 and computing and got AAA, when applying for Uni, will my B AS in Physics affect a place which offer AAA?

Similarly, the B in physics would affect my A level grade should i continue it? (e.g. An A* at A2 and B at AS could make it an A?)
It should not have any affect if the course requires grades rather than points. You'd still have AAA at A2 so your AS shouldn't matter. However I applied to a uni requiring points rather than grades, I dropped history at AS before results day and found that I had an A in history and two other subjects, and a B in another. I'm still happy I dropped history as this gets me more points, while still enabling me to get my B up to an A at A2, meaning I would have AAAAa overall (including General studies). But I would only drop an A subject if the uni goes by points, because otherwise you will have to work harder for AAA.
Reply 2
Original post by coffeeandcats
It should not have any affect if the course requires grades rather than points. You'd still have AAA at A2 so your AS shouldn't matter. However I applied to a uni requiring points rather than grades, I dropped history at AS before results day and found that I had an A in history and two other subjects, and a B in another. I'm still happy I dropped history as this gets me more points, while still enabling me to get my B up to an A at A2, meaning I would have AAAAa overall (including General studies). But I would only drop an A subject if the uni goes by points, because otherwise you will have to work harder for AAA.

Is that point system course specific? All the unis i've seen all offer grades rather than points, or atleast it wasnt clear.
Original post by B.Carmine
Is that point system course specific? All the unis i've seen all offer grades rather than points, or atleast it wasnt clear.

I think it's more specific to unis than courses, mainly ex-polys seem to offer points. Two asking for points that I've applied to are Northumbria asking for 320 and Manchester Met asking for 280, it's helpful if you have a good AS grade. I also have a couple of BTECs that give me more UCAS points so if I don't do as well as expected at A2 I still have a chance of getting in.
Reply 4
I think it's more specific to unis than courses, mainly ex-polys seem to offer points. Two asking for points that I've applied to are Northumbria asking for 320 and Manchester Met asking for 280, it's helpful if you have a good AS grade. I also have a couple of BTECs that give me more UCAS points so if I don't do as well as expected at A2 I still have a chance of getting in.

So top unis look for grades more than points it seems.

Anyway, just to clarify, an ok AS grade that is dropped won't affect an overall application?
So top unis look for grades more than points it seems.

Anyway, just to clarify, an ok AS grade that is dropped won't affect an overall application?

Yes :smile:

It shouldn't do, but you could always contact the uni just to check.

If it's a physics-related course you're applying to, it might look bad if you dropped at AS obviously, or another applicant may look better than you if they have a better grade at AS, but you don't want to risk getting AAB at A2 if you're going for an AAA offer.

Also, my school just took our AS grades when working out out predicted grades, so my predicted grades are AAB. Your predicted grades are what the uni works on when giving offers, so if your school works like mine and you do decide to carry on physics then I'd pester them to raise your prediction.
Reply 6
Yes :smile:

It shouldn't do, but you could always contact the uni just to check.

If it's a physics-related course you're applying to, it might look bad if you dropped at AS obviously, or another applicant may look better than you if they have a better grade at AS, but you don't want to risk getting AAB at A2 if you're going for an AAA offer.

Also, my school just took our AS grades when working out out predicted grades, so my predicted grades are AAB. Your predicted grades are what the uni works on when giving offers, so if your school works like mine and you do decide to carry on physics then I'd pester them to raise your prediction.

Ah no, I'm looking to do Computer Science, I'm finding Physics most difficult so i'm just thinking that as of now it would be the most likely that i'd drop, I wouldn't dare drop it if i wanted to do it for uni, wouldn't make sense would it?

I'm hoping to get Min BBBB at AS up to AAAB (meaning i'd be happy with that, of course AAAA would be lovely XD)

did you get BBC(and the 4th?) then at AS and they just bumped up your grades once?
Ah no, I'm looking to do Computer Science, I'm finding Physics most difficult so i'm just thinking that as of now it would be the most likely that i'd drop, I wouldn't dare drop it if i wanted to do it for uni, wouldn't make sense would it?

I'm hoping to get Min BBBB at AS up to AAAB (meaning i'd be happy with that, of course AAAA would be lovely XD)

did you get BBC(and the 4th?) then at AS and they just bumped up your grades once?

Nope, just thought I'd check :P

No at AS I got AAAB, my school literally took the grades from AS and since I dropped a subject I got an A in my predictions are AAB.

Does your school generally tend to bump up predictions from the actual results at AS?
Reply 8
Nope, just thought I'd check :P

No at AS I got AAAB, my school literally took the grades from AS and since I dropped a subject I got an A in my predictions are AAB.

Does your school generally tend to bump up predictions from the actual results at AS?

I don't know as it's a new school from this year, i thought that was the eneric way of doing it, like they did with gcse mocks
Reply 9
Original post by fossilcollective
By mathsx2 do you mean further maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes
I don't know as it's a new school from this year, i thought that was the eneric way of doing it, like they did with gcse mocks

You should probably ask your school then, A Levels are a lot different to GCSEs and I find my school's method is actually realistic, as A2 is much harder than AS. Good luck!
Reply 11
You should probably ask your school then, A Levels are a lot different to GCSEs and I find my school's method is actually realistic, as A2 is much harder than AS. Good luck!

True, anyway thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending