The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I did a gap year where i was deciding if i wanted to go uni or not.

I did make a lot of money that year, working 3 jobs full time. But was i happy?! not really. Did i feel there was more to life and more to learn? Yes.

I've now done a bsc, msc whilst also running a full time business and i feel uni and the knowledge i've gained has made my life easier. I don't need to work as many hours and i have bigger goals and plans in life.

Of course i have my degrees hopefully fingers crossed to lean back on whatever happens!

Cost of a degree has now gone to 9k so overall as an investment GREAT!
Original post by Nfergs
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?

I dropped out,
Resat some alevels, got a really good set of results (results I would have never dreamed off before i dropped out of uni)
Now im studying a great degree at a 1000000x better university.

Best decision I made.
Original post by TheAlchemistt
I dropped out,
Resat some alevels, got a really good set of results (results I would have never dreamed off before i dropped out of uni)
Now im studying a great degree at a 1000000x better university.

Best decision I made.

Wow! !! Congratulations! :smile: what uni and course?? Would you mind sharing your exam techniques please? ??:smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozasaurus99
Wow! !! Congratulations! :smile: what uni and course?? Would you mind sharing your exam techniques please? ??:smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manchester uni, MChem

In terms of exam technique, i did biology chem and sociology at alevel and therefore my exam technique might be different because i may have done different subjects to you
What were your grades like and what uni was it? (Sorry if I haven't found this info. The topic is long enough to read all of it).
Reply 127
Original post by Krickl
I'm currently in my first semester at Bath, doing International Management with French. I like the Business/Management part of the course but not enjoying French as much as I thought I would. Annoyingly the uni won't let me change to a Management or Business only course so I'm thinking of dropping out and reapplying for next year.

Did you have to pay the full tuition and accommodation fees for this year or only part of it?

Hi, I was in The Quads - i had to pay for my time there and then there's 4 weeks 'penalty' of rent but that's it. At this stage of the year you'll have to pay you're first chunk of tuition fees which i think is £2250? Believe that gets bolted onto your student debt so there shouldn't be a short term issue... But contact Student Finance and they'll discuss with you, each case is different :smile: glad to know I'm not the only one from there!
Original post by Nfergs
If you look past a few previous posts you'll find my post explaining what I did in full. The only difference from that post compared to now is that I'm not enjoying the job I'm doing and I'm currently looking for another full-time job with a few more hours and better wages.

Sigh. Those are the only reasons I stick it out at Uni. :s-smilie:
Im not enjoying University at all, i hate it. I'm doing a science based subject and the workload is immense i feel like i can't go to anyone for help and i don't have enough time for anything. I don't understand anything in lectures, i spend the extra time just going over the lectures again, not having enough time to do the additional reading. I hate the chemistry and maths side of the course. The biggest problem is that I'm tired. Im tired of sitting there for hours trying to memorise facts which i don't fully understand, I'm tired of revising for tests and doing coursework, I'm tired of the anxiety and stress of exams. :frown:

I also commute so i feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the social aspects of university and i feel like i haven't actually made any friends.

I don't know what to do.

It's pursue....
Original post by Nfergs
This week I made the decision of dropping out of university. For those who have also dropped out of university, what did you do afterwards and do you regret your decision?

I dropped out of University is 2011 entry.
I should of graduated by now. :redface:

I first went to a University College, I didn't really like it, my halls were miles from campus, the town wasn't exactly nice, the course didn't meet my expectations. When I came down sick and missed my deadlines, I decided it was time to leave and try again.

After dropping out I made a clear plan on what to do, I got better first, then went back to work to started saving money for my next move.
I then started looking at other Universtities.
I found from my first experience, i knew clearer what I actually wanted from Uni, like i'd had a sort of taster year. I chose a campus I like, better accomodation, and a course I enjoyed. Overall I found a Uni to fit my needs.

I'm a 3rd year now and I have to say - its the best decision I made.
I loved every second in my new Uni, and and so happy I dropped out to have the chance to think about what I really wanted.

Whether you go back to Uni or not, you can now consider your options and what is actually best for you without wasting any money! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous263
Im not enjoying University at all, i hate it. I'm doing a science based subject and the workload is immense i feel like i can't go to anyone for help and i don't have enough time for anything. I don't understand anything in lectures, i spend the extra time just going over the lectures again, not having enough time to do the additional reading. I hate the chemistry and maths side of the course. The biggest problem is that I'm tired. Im tired of sitting there for hours trying to memorise facts which i don't fully understand, I'm tired of revising for tests and doing coursework, I'm tired of the anxiety and stress of exams. :frown:

I also commute so i feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the social aspects of university and i feel like i haven't actually made any friends.

I don't know what to do.

Science subjects do tend to have a big workload unfortunately :frown: But you're only in your first term and there are plenty of others who feel exactly the way you do so don't be too hard on yourself.

Here's what you should do:

- Contact your academic tutor or similar asap and arrange to meet with them. Explain to them what's going on, how you feel about your work etc. He/she will be able to advise accordingly. Speak to your module/course tutors/lecturers as well and see what they see. Remember you're not expected to revise and memorise every single page of every single book, slide etc.

- Contact the Study Skills Centre at uni or equivalent and ask for their advice. They can set you up with an advisor who can give you info on effective study skills like reading, note taking etc.

- If you're feeling anxious, down all the time etc maybe speak to Student Counselling or a Pastoral Tutor. They're there to advise and listen to you.

- With regards to anxiety, do you feel that way about work/exams in general or does it happen other times too? Maybe speak to student health or your GP etc. Also if anxiety is affecting your work then you might be able to request additional time for exams, assignments, submissions etc.

- If you haven't done already try to join various clubs and socs at uni and get to know people on your course and beyond. You'll find lots of students are in the same boat about work and uni life etc and often hanging out with others going through the same situation can help. Do sports, stay active!

Hope that was helpful. The key point is you need to be proactive about seeking help; if you don't ask you don't get.

Good luck!
Reply 133
Original post by spaceghosties
I dropped out halfway through my first year. I was studying English Lit and I had an awful time. Didn't understand any of the course material, found it unbelievably dull, felt like I was getting nothing out of the course and became very disillusioned.

I also had depression and anxiety, which were undiagnosed at the time but I finally got diagnosed when I was at uni; by then though, I'd missed most of the assignments, had made no friends and was pretty sure I didn't want to do that degree any more anyway.

I dropped out, went home, went to therapy/started medication and got a job in admin for the remainder of the year. I went back to college in September to do an art course and now I'm applying to study textiles in time for 2014, which is the year all my friends will be graduating. I could have continued worked full time, but didn't really know what I wanted to do and I'm not qualified for anything other than a minimum wage job; believe me, if there was a way to instantly move out of my parents' house and earn enough money to make a living without getting a degree, I'd be doing it! Anyway, I didn't see the point in waiting around, which is why I jumped back into education pretty much straight away.

Sometimes, I feel bad when I look at where my friends are now (and my brother, who's two years older than me, just finished his degree and is already hugely successful) but I figure it's not a huge deal - it seems like a lot but it's only a few years, really - and I'm still not one hundred percent sure what I actually want to do with my life but I'm in a much better place to enjoy university now. Provided I get in, of course.

how were you diagnosed just out of interest?
Original post by Anonymous263

I don't know what to do.
So would you say that it's foolish to study something mainly for the career prospects?
I almost did that with engineering, but I took a gap year..
Hey, just seen this post from last year - hope you still look at TSR! Why have you dropped out of so many unis? I feel like I'm quite similar to you in that I dropped out and started fresh 3 times at college. I'm now 21 and in first year of uni but hating it and desperate to drop out and start again next year. How old are you going to be when (if - I don't know if you went back to uni) you finish your degree? Do you regret all your drop outs? Has it cost you a lot of money? Sorry for all the Qs haha, I just want some more info on it all before I make this big decision!
I dropped out of university earlier in the year as I was offered the chance to do an apprenticeship. I felt that the course hadn't been meeting my expectations and that it was better to learn in the workplace. I never really wanted to go to university in the first place really and would have preferred to work full time but due to the lack of jobs, this didn't seem a viable option.
I started my first semester at Sunderland in September. I'm having a difficult time deciding whether or not to drop out as there are so many pros and cons. I've made friends, good friends, although my flatmates are possibly the most horrible people I've ever met. My halls of residence won't let me move out as it's privately owned so I can't go and live with my friends. I'm doing okay on my course, I don't think I'm in danger of failing but it's not like they tell us exactly how we're doing... And the main factor, for some reason I chose a uni over 7 hours away from my home town. I drive, so it's easy enough to get home, although it takes ages, it doesn't cost much. However I can only go home during the holidays as my timetable is horrible, so I don't see my family or friends for months at a time. What's really messed up is that I'm at home for Christmas right now and I'm dying to get back to uni and to my friends! But I know that when I'm there I'll start to miss home again. Stupid, right?
I need some advice, I'm really not enjoying university. i knew it wasn't for me when i applied. I'm at Nottingham Trent studying Physics. Its so difficult and i just cant understand any of it.
I went through a very long process to get here and only got in 'through the skin of my teeth' if that makes any sense. I feel like its such a waste to drop out now. could anyone give me any advice,

Thanks
Original post by _hannahlucyy
I need some advice, I'm really not enjoying university. i knew it wasn't for me when i applied. I'm at Nottingham Trent studying Physics. Its so difficult and i just cant understand any of it.
I went through a very long process to get here and only got in 'through the skin of my teeth' if that makes any sense. I feel like its such a waste to drop out now. could anyone give me any advice,

Thanks

What year are you in? The course gets harder each year, but it also depends how much work you put in. Some modules are also more difficult to understand than others, such as quantum or electromagnetism.

Latest

Trending

Trending