The Student Room Group

'Hormonal' IUS and mood swings

Hi :smile: so back in 2010-2012 I think I tried about 4 types of the pill before deciding my mood swings were just too bad to continue with it (I had depression, felt like a zombie etc was given therapy but it didn't work) and then I got a lot better and back to my normal self :smile:

Now it's been a while and I'm thinking of the hormonal IUS coil thing because the hormones are meant to be localised but I'm so scared something bad will happen like I'll feel like that again (I won't go into details but it was awful) but my dr keeps telling me it will be ok. I've googled it and people have got depression from this thing!

How have people (especially those who do have a predisposition to depression, anxiety etc) found it? And can I get it taken out before the 5yrs is up?

Sounds stupid but I've waited 3 days just for a Dr to call me, can't seem to rely on the people I need to be able to rely on :frown:
From being friends with people with the hormonal IUS i wouldnt recommend it as they both turned into fire breathing dragons, however i think different people react in different ways to hormones. i have the implant which has been fab, it actually took away my mood swings and woop woop no periods! but again different people react in different ways, the only way to find out is to try- i would've thought you could have it taken out before 5 years as its your body and your decisions and no one can force you to keep it if you dont want it :smile:
No one will be able to tell you how you'll react, but its true that you're less likely to have negative effects.

If you're worried, you could consider the non hormonal copper IUD
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
No one will be able to tell you how you'll react, but its true that you're less likely to have negative effects.

If you're worried, you could consider the non hormonal copper IUD

That's what I originally wanted but my doctor was saying it gives heavier periods and didn't want to give it to me because she's so confident I'll be fine. She sounds like she'd rather I be depressed and angry and cry all the time rather than have periods that are a bit heavier when I get practically nothing anyway
Original post by Jenniferann232
That's what I originally wanted but my doctor was saying it gives heavier periods and didn't want to give it to me because she's so confident I'll be fine. She sounds like she'd rather I be depressed and angry and cry all the time rather than have periods that are a bit heavier when I get practically nothing anyway

Its true they CAN make periods heaver, longer, and more painful (one, or neither or any combination of) but if your "natural" (off hormonal contraception) periods are OK, it shouldn't make a massive difference.

I have one and it hasn't made mine heavier or more painful. They are longer (8-10 days compared to 4-5) but the "extra" days are pretty light anyway, and my periods don't bother me and don't stop me doing anything (one of the benefits of using menstrual cups and cloth pads)

If you really want to try a copper IUD, stand your ground and tell her that, Is this your GP you're seeing?

I had mine fitted at a sexual health clinic by the gynecologist there, they fitted it fine and didn't try to push anything else on me. They asked the usual suitability questions but otherwise it was fine (the fitting hurt, but I expected that) so it might be worth seeing if theres a contraception & sexual health clinic in your area, they may well have a walk in. Most cities have a Brook or NHS CASH clinic.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Its true they CAN make periods heaver, longer, and more painful (one, or neither or any combination of) but if your "natural" (off hormonal contraception) periods are OK, it shouldn't make a massive difference.

I have one and it hasn't made mine heavier or more painful. They are longer (8-10 days compared to 4-5) but the "extra" days are pretty light anyway, and my periods don't bother me and don't stop me doing anything (one of the benefits of using menstrual cups and cloth pads)

If you really want to try a copper IUD, stand your ground and tell her that, Is this your GP you're seeing?

I had mine fitted at a sexual health clinic by the gynecologist there, they fitted it fine and didn't try to push anything else on me. They asked the usual suitability questions but otherwise it was fine (the fitting hurt, but I expected that) so it might be worth seeing if theres a contraception & sexual health clinic in your area, they may well have a walk in. Most cities have a Brook or NHS CASH clinic.

Yeah they're not too bad, I've been quite mood swingy recently. I like the idea of no periods but I want something that won't have any nasty psychological side effects. I don't mind trying it for say a month and if it doesn't work then changing it but last time on the pill my old doctor practically forced me to stay on it. The nurses are meant to be ringing me tomorrow to give me an appointment tomorrow so is it too late to say I want to speak to the doctor again?

I'm really worried about it :frown: I feel like I should have made up my mind by now really
Yeah they're not too bad, I've been quite mood swingy recently. I like the idea of no periods but I want something that won't have any nasty psychological side effects. I don't mind trying it for say a month and if it doesn't work then changing it but last time on the pill my old doctor practically forced me to stay on it. The nurses are meant to be ringing me tomorrow to give me an appointment tomorrow so is it too late to say I want to speak to the doctor again?

I'm really worried about it :frown: I feel like I should have made up my mind by now really

Its never too late to change your mind, at the end of the day, YOU get the final say on what goes in your body.
Reply 7

As Kabloomybuzz has already said they can make periods heavier but it doesn't mean it'll happen to you. I have one and mine just got longer (6/7 days instead of 4/5 although they were 10 days for the first few months). I also recommend going to a Brook/Family Planning Clinic rather than your GP. I remember asking the nurse at my GP practice about getting a copper IUD and she told me they were only for women who'd already had kids and tried to fob me off with the injection (which I knew that I didn't want) so I went to my local Family Planning clinic instead. I had no problem getting one there, in fact they actually recommended it to me!
Original post by gemmam
As Kabloomybuzz has already said they can make periods heavier but it doesn't mean it'll happen to you. I have one and mine just got longer (6/7 days instead of 4/5 although they were 10 days for the first few months). I also recommend going to a Brook/Family Planning Clinic rather than your GP. I remember asking the nurse at my GP practice about getting a copper IUD and she told me they were only for women who'd already had kids and tried to fob me off with the injection (which I knew that I didn't want) so I went to my local Family Planning clinic instead. I had no problem getting one there, in fact they actually recommended it to me!

As I have now waited a week for the nurses just to call me to give me an appointment I don't think I can trust that practice to make sure I'll be ok on this stuff. I don't seem to do very well on hormones, they don't seem to like me so maybe I'll speak to the doctor again and get more info and if she says I can't have the copper one then I might try and get a second opinion.

I'd rather have heavier periods (as long as they're not awful or very painful) then be all sad or moody all the time :smile:
As I have now waited a week for the nurses just to call me to give me an appointment I don't think I can trust that practice to make sure I'll be ok on this stuff. I don't seem to do very well on hormones, they don't seem to like me so maybe I'll speak to the doctor again and get more info and if she says I can't have the copper one then I might try and get a second opinion.

I'd rather have heavier periods (as long as they're not awful or very painful) then be all sad or moody all the time :smile:

Have you tried seeing if theres a contraception and sexual health clinic in your area. They're much better with this stuff than GPs because its their job, dealing with contraception is what they do every day.

GPs have to deal with a little of everything
Reply 10

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest