The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by cforcoldplay
Quick question, does applying later reduce your chances of getting an offer?

I've completed my personal statement and uploaded on UCAS etc, and my referee already put on the reference. However, it might be while before my application is approved by my referee's boss. And since I go to a pretty big college I assume it would be a while before it is approved.

So am I doomed?

No you are not doomed as long as you get off your UCAS before the 15th of January you'll be considered the same as someone who applied in september. Most SLT courses don't start giving actual offers to all the interview are done, so you have time :smile:
Original post by anomea
No you are not doomed as long as you get off your UCAS before the 15th of January you'll be considered the same as someone who applied in september. Most SLT courses don't start giving actual offers to all the interview are done, so you have time :smile:

Oh ok. I was really beginning to worry :eek:.
Thank you very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saraw26
Congrats on your interviews :smile:

For interviews, there isn't really much you can do for them. I would suggest rereading your personal statement, reflecting on your experiences and just thinking about the role of an SLT. I hope it goes well :biggrin:

Thanks! :smile: Nice that we can all get help on TSR, brilliant idea!
Original post by rhimair
I'll be there, and I know that there are a few others on this thread who'll be there too! :smile: I'm really nervous as well - mainly for the written interview part. But the lecturers seemed nice and really helpful when I went up for the open day, so I hope it won't be too bad! :smile:

Yes, I really liked it when I saw it on the Open Day! I guess the key is confidence (or so everyone says) but it's easier said than done! It will be nice to meet everyone else who's applying :smile:
Hey guys,
I emailed de Montfort when people started getting interviews through, because it had been three weeks since I sent my application off. They emailed me back and told me that I was unsuccessful, but they had my place on hold in case they can offer me a place on a different course, anyone else had this? What could they offer me because they're are no similar courses in this university? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 425
Original post by nesca89
Yes I just clicked reply and it was sent to Kate Evans. Best just to apply and say thank you and that you will be attending :smile: what date is yours?

Okay thanks - mine is the third of December. ..it's so close now :/// wbu?
Hi guys! It's so amazing to hear about interviews, looking forward to hearing how you all get on :smile:

Just wanted to know if there was anyone here who's studying at Newcastle? It's my top choice and I was wondering what the application process was like in terms of interviews?

And also anyone who has an interview from Sheffield is it for the 3 year or 4 year course? I haven't heard back from DMU or Sheffield yet and was wondering whether I should email them or not :/ hmmmmm x
Original post by cforcoldplay
Quick question, does applying later reduce your chances of getting an offer?

I've completed my personal statement and uploaded on UCAS etc, and my referee already put on the reference. However, it might be while before my application is approved by my referee's boss. And since I go to a pretty big college I assume it would be a while before it is approved.

So am I doomed?

I don't think it does reduce your chances, most universities don't make decisions until after all of the interviews. Last year I applied January and still got interviews. I was unsuccessful due to not meeting entry requirements, not because of late application. Hopefully you'll get it in before Christmas anyway :smile:
Original post by SarahBennett97
Hey guys,
I emailed de Montfort when people started getting interviews through, because it had been three weeks since I sent my application off. They emailed me back and told me that I was unsuccessful, but they had my place on hold in case they can offer me a place on a different course, anyone else had this? What could they offer me because they're are no similar courses in this university? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year DMU offered me a place on an Audiology degree, which just doesn't make sense. So I assume it will be this one for you. Have you asked why your were unsuccessful? And have you heard back from any other universities?
Original post by Ellice97
Hi guys! It's so amazing to hear about interviews, looking forward to hearing how you all get on :smile:

Just wanted to know if there was anyone here who's studying at Newcastle? It's my top choice and I was wondering what the application process was like in terms of interviews?

And also anyone who has an interview from Sheffield is it for the 3 year or 4 year course? I haven't heard back from DMU or Sheffield yet and was wondering whether I should email them or not :/ hmmmmm x

Hi! I'm in exactly the same position as you! Newcastle is so good isn't it? I haven't heard from sheffield or DMU yet either...but I don't want to like rush them? Idk good luck anyway!
Original post by Dancer32014
Hi! I'm in exactly the same position as you! Newcastle is so good isn't it? I haven't heard from sheffield or DMU yet either...but I don't want to like rush them? Idk good luck anyway!

I just absolutely fell in love with Newcastle! I know what you mean about rushing them, it's just so difficult being patient ahaa! Where else have you applied? Good luck to you too :smile: x
I just absolutely fell in love with Newcastle! I know what you mean about rushing them, it's just so difficult being patient ahaa! Where else have you applied? Good luck to you too :smile: x

Me too... I know it's so hard when you know they're making offers but I guess it'll be worth it in the end:smile: And Reading and Manchester which I have interviews for, what about you? X
Me too... I know it's so hard when you know they're making offers but I guess it'll be worth it in the end:smile: And Reading and Manchester which I have interviews for, what about you? X

I've applied to Manchester and MMU, so we've applied to 4 of same places aha! :biggrin: when's your Manchester interview? X
I've applied to Manchester and MMU, so we've applied to 4 of same places aha! :biggrin: when's your Manchester interview? X

Ahahaha no way! 3rd of December x
Ahahaha no way! 3rd of December x

Oooo, mines the 10th you'll have to let me know how it goes, and keep our fingers crossed Newcastle get back to us soon!x
Oooo, mines the 10th you'll have to let me know how it goes, and keep our fingers crossed Newcastle get back to us soon!x

Yeah definitely I will do. I know it's so nerve wracking waiting :frown:

A few of us from TSR went to Newcastle but I am not sure if the others still use the website now.

The interview at Newcastle was about half a day. There were three separate tasks. The group was split in two to complete the first two tasks alternatively then met together for the last task. The first task (for me) was a mini presentation with other applicants and the admissions tutor. You had to talk briefly (six minutes I think) about something then answer questions from other students (if they had any). It was basically an opportunity to show off your work experience. The second task was an observation task. You watched a video of a client and wrote down whatever you thought was relevant. The third task was group work. The applicants got split into a number of groups and were asked to answer a question. After that I think there was an opportunity to ask questions from the staff and some current students then there was a tour of facilities (I did not do this as I was already familiar with the department).

My uni of Manchester interview is on the 10th too! Scary isn't it, it's so close now!
Original post by nesca89
I don't think it does reduce your chances, most universities don't make decisions until after all of the interviews. Last year I applied January and still got interviews. I was unsuccessful due to not meeting entry requirements, not because of late application. Hopefully you'll get it in before Christmas anyway :smile:

I really hope so even though the idea of the interview makes me extremely anxious :dontknow:
Original post by evantej
A few of us from TSR went to Newcastle but I am not sure if the others still use the website now.

The interview at Newcastle was about half a day. There were three separate tasks. The group was split in two to complete the first two tasks alternatively then met together for the last task. The first task (for me) was a mini presentation with other applicants and the admissions tutor. You had to talk briefly (six minutes I think) about something then answer questions from other students (if they had any). It was basically an opportunity to show off your work experience. The second task was an observation task. You watched a video of a client and wrote down whatever you thought was relevant. The third task was group work. The applicants got split into a number of groups and were asked to answer a question. After that I think there was an opportunity to ask questions from the staff and some current students then there was a tour of facilities (I did not do this as I was already familiar with the department).

Wow, thank you that's incredibly useful :smile: it sounds like a very intense day, really hope I can get to that stage.

So you're studying at Newcastle now? How are you finding it? :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest