The Student Room Group

High-earning parents are leaving me on my own

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rana96
So, I'll be studying pharmacy in September 2015 and no matter where I go I'll be moving out of my parent's house. My parents' pre-tax income is somewhere around £66,000 meaning my maintenance loan will be around £3,500 a year and I'm not eligible for any grants.

My problem is that my parents are leaving me on my own- They've promised that I'll not have a penny of support and I'm not going to be allowed to live at home. My maintenance loan won't even be enough to cover my accommodation costs and I'm not acc sure what to do about it.

Does anybody have any advice or has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it worth contacting student finance or is there not much they can do for me?

sorry if this doesn't deserve its own thread / belongs somewhere else, let me know. Thanks for any advice.

Simply tell them you will be getting a job in McDonalds because you can't afford to finance your studies. And make a business case for them to invest in you. The McDonalds thing will strike the fear of God into them and the business case will underline how impersonal they have made your relationship.

Middle-class people of their generation very often know the price of everything and the value of nothing. They send their parents to care homes so they can continue working 70 hours a week and jealously guard their money when their own child needs some of it.

It is possible however to get a part-time job, even only during the summer, and earn the required money (about £6,000) to survive.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
The joys of being a university student in England; nothing quite compares.

#firstworldproblems.
Reply 22
Original post by Chlorophile
It's not enough to be able to afford to give thousands of pounds to your children each year whilst trying to maintain a family and living in a not-so-cheap area...

LOL
£66,000 isn't that much... That's about the amount my parents earn and given that we live in London, I'm not going to be able to get a lot of support from them either. Unfortunately, there really isn't a lot you can do - there are quite a lot of people in this situation ):

£66,000 is fine even in London if you have paid off all or most of the mortgage. Unless you have about 5 kids or whatever. And how much has your house gone up in value? I'm certain that, though it's hugely unfair in the grand scheme of things that you should have to do this while the rich don't, earlier generations in the same situation would have released capital from their houses to enable their children to go to university.
Original post by scrotgrot
£66,000 is fine even in London if you have paid off all or most of the mortgage. Unless you have about 5 kids or whatever. And how much has your house gone up in value? I'm certain that, though it's hugely unfair in the grand scheme of things that you should have to do this while the rich don't, earlier generations in the same situation would have released capital from their houses to enable their children to go to university.

I'm pretty sure my parents are more than 10 years away from paying off their mortgage and I don't know how much our house has risen in value but it's irrelevant since they're not selling it. It's absolutely absurd to even come up with the idea of my parents selling their house and losing their jobs just so that I don't need to have any debt...
Reply 25
You've got nearly a year's notice, so save up. You can make a huge fuss if you like, but your parents can't just magic up money. £66k sounds a lot, but they will have bills and you have siblings - money doesn't go as far as people think.
Reply 26
Original post by TolerantBeing
£66,000 isn't that much? OK. :rofl:

Average UK salary £26,500. Both parents being average= £53,000. £66,000 is nothing special.
You're Nepalese

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Juno
You've got nearly a year's notice, so save up. You can make a huge fuss if you like, but your parents can't just magic up money. £66k sounds a lot, but they will have bills and you have siblings - money doesn't go as far as people think.

Yep, this is probably it. Thanks.
Tell them how much they'll be saving for the time when you're not living with them. There are also academic scholarships which are somewhat readily available depending on the uni so look into those. Other than that, look into higher apprenticeships, although I'm not sure they'll have them in pharmacy.
Reply 30
Original post by The_Blade
You're Nepalese

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol? No
Reply 31
Sell crack
Reply 33
*Sigh* I was expecting this to be a bitchfest by a posh rich kid. I feel sorry for you friend :smile:
Reply 34
It's not enough to be able to afford to give thousands of pounds to your children each year whilst trying to maintain a family and living in a not-so-cheap area...

Its not even that much without the children part :/
Tell them you're taking it up the bum at a tenner a pop to make ends meet, odds are they'll find the cash
Reply 36
Original post by slg60
*Sigh* I was expecting this to be a bitchfest by a posh rich kid. I feel sorry for you friend :smile:

Is this sarcasm :frown:( I'm genuinely looking for advice, sorry if it comes across as a bitchfest!!

What area do you live in?

Oh, I'm sorry, the government should increase loans to those with high incomes who live in a posh area. :rolleyes:
Original post by rana96
So, I'll be studying pharmacy in September 2015 and no matter where I go I'll be moving out of my parent's house. My parents' pre-tax income is somewhere around £66,000 meaning my maintenance loan will be around £3,500 a year and I'm not eligible for any grants.

My problem is that my parents are leaving me on my own- They've promised that I'll not have a penny of support and I'm not going to be allowed to live at home. My maintenance loan won't even be enough to cover my accommodation costs and I'm not acc sure what to do about it.

Does anybody have any advice or has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it worth contacting student finance or is there not much they can do for me?

sorry if this doesn't deserve its own thread / belongs somewhere else, let me know. Thanks for any advice.

Do you have any uncles or aunts you could raise this subject with?

They seems to be a number of different issues here and it isn't clear you have them all straight.

Kicking out a child to be independent is culturally unusual. One would expect a family wanting their child to stand on their own two feet to demand that their child pays board.

Do they understand that the student finding doesn't add up?

Do they not want you to do any course at university, or just not to do this course?

Can they actually not afford this; if so why are they not willing to say so?

Do they expect you to earn money for a few years and save up yourself to go to university?

Unless there has been a major falling up, most parents do not say "you are on your own". Even if they want you to get a job rather than go to university or whatever, they normally have a vision for your future. You don't have to share that vision. However most parents don't simply stop caring at all what you do.
Original post by MJ1012
Average UK salary £26,500. Both parents being average= £53,000. £66,000 is nothing special.

Averages mean nothing. My family's joint income was probs £30k at peak times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending