The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Business Economics (BSc)

Hey guys, I've been accepted for this course but wanted to know a few things to aid my final decision as my insurance choice;
1. how good is this course at Middlesex University?
2. is doing a BSc way better than a BA for this type of course?
3. how much maths is involved in this course? How difficult is it without an A level background in maths or stats?
4. Anything worth knowing before that is not mentioned until you start the course?

Any answer to these questions will be really helpful and any anecdotes are welcome. Thank you.
Original post by itsMaii
Hey guys, I've been accepted for this course but wanted to know a few things to aid my final decision as my insurance choice;
1. how good is this course at Middlesex University?
2. is doing a BSc way better than a BA for this type of course?
3. how much maths is involved in this course? How difficult is it without an A level background in maths or stats?
4. Anything worth knowing before that is not mentioned until you start the course?

Any answer to these questions will be really helpful and any anecdotes are welcome. Thank you.

Hi itsMaii,

Congratulations on getting onto the BSc in Business Economics. We hope you’ll make the decision to join us.

To answer your first question, Middlesex has been rated as the 5th best uni in London and 29th in the country for Economics. The Business Economics course scored 88% for overall student satisfaction in the 2014 NSS. We also strive to provide the best possible academics and facilities for our students, so on the economics course you’ll be able to use Bloomberg stations, Datastream workstations and STATA econometric software.

The difference between a BSc and a BA in this type of course is that the BSc is generally more maths based. We’re looking to start a BA course in Business Economics in the near future which will concentrate on the qualitative side of economics.

In the meantime, if you find yourself struggling to cope with the maths on your course, please pay a visit to our Learning Development Unit. They’re really great at helping students in your situation. You can find out more about the LDU’s maths support here: http://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/study/ldu/whoweare/msn/index.aspx

Finally, the economics department have been trialling the use of experimental games in the teaching of certain modules. This has been so successful it will be incorporated into all economics modules from next year. Feedback from students so far suggests that the games are great fun and a much easier way to learn.

Thank you for your questions, and please get back to us if there’s anything else you’d like to know,
Adam

Middlesex University Official Rep
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending