The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by yabbayabba
You can breathe through your nose in the first couple of weeks, though I found breathing through my mouth more comfortable during that period. What is a definite no-no is blowing your nose or sneezing, make sure you don't get sick during the first few weeks. It could do some damage as things are still healing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just like having a cold and a blocked nose nothing major but it is more comfortable to breathe through your mouth. I'm 5 weeks post op of double jaw and it's one of the best things I've ever done. It's normal to feel anxious and things before hand I was a nervous wreck so much so on the day of surgery I nearly didn't go through with it. Just don't let the nerves get the better of you it all will be worth it in the end 😊
Reply 401
Original post by Zoeychan
I'm so glad I found this page!!! I've had under bites my whole entire life, I was offered surgery at the age of 17 and my parents didn't want me to have it because they feared it would change/ruined my face but I was also too scared as well. Now I am 19 and at university, I feel so self-conscious more than I've ever been! I used to never think about my underbite until now, I really want the surgery, do any of you think I would be able to get the surgery under the NHS now that I am over 18? My underbite is quite severe. 😁😁😁😁

I'm 28 and just had double jaw surgery under the nhs if they think it's needed you will definitely get it through the nhs
Original post by Kelta86
It's just like having a cold and a blocked nose nothing major but it is more comfortable to breathe through your mouth. I'm 5 weeks post op of double jaw and it's one of the best things I've ever done. It's normal to feel anxious and things before hand I was a nervous wreck so much so on the day of surgery I nearly didn't go through with it. Just don't let the nerves get the better of you it all will be worth it in the end 😊

Yeah that's true :smile: Hope your recovery is going well! How have you found it? I've actually stopped counting the weeks as my life has got back to normal now pretty much, I'm probably about 10 or 11 weeks post-op now. The swelling has gone down massively and I can chew again, woo! So I'm eating pretty much normally now. I'm avoiding really crunchy things just to play it safe, but I don't eat many really crunchy things anyway (carrots, that's basically it) so I'm not missing anything.

I'm glad I went through it, my side profile is a lot better now and it should prevent any potential dental issues my underbite could have caused in the future. My braces are coming off in January too after about 4 years! Wooooooo! :biggrin:
Did any of you have problems with your lips not meeting after surgery? I had my lower jaw moved forward and now my lips don't meet properly :frown: They do if I force them but it looks really odd and I can't hold it for too long.
I'm currently nearly 2 months post op. Still got numbness in my chin and bottom lip making me slight slurred to speech but I'm sure this will get better over time. The results are amazing though, as I used to hate taking pictures from the side as my underbite was most prominent. I would encourage anyone to get the surgery done if they are offered it.
Reply 405
Original post by wordsearch
Did any of you have problems with your lips not meeting after surgery? I had my lower jaw moved forward and now my lips don't meet properly :frown: They do if I force them but it looks really odd and I can't hold it for too long.

My lips didn't meet for at least 5 weeks so yes it is pretty normal don't worry :smile:
Reply 406
Original post by boringdude
I'm currently nearly 2 months post op. Still got numbness in my chin and bottom lip making me slight slurred to speech but I'm sure this will get better over time. The results are amazing though, as I used to hate taking pictures from the side as my underbite was most prominent. I would encourage anyone to get the surgery done if they are offered it.

I am 2 months post op on Friday and I still have a numb chin swollen lips and drool haha I don't see a difference yet but it's coz I'm forever looking in the mirror lol
Original post by Kelta86
My lips didn't meet for at least 5 weeks so yes it is pretty normal don't worry :smile:

Thanks, I hope you're right! Right now I can force them close but it looks ridiculous and is a lot of effort, but if I don't do that I just look confused all the time haha :frown:
How long do you think until one is able to resume exercising, going to the gym? 2 months post op?
Original post by STARFLEET
How long do you think until one is able to resume exercising, going to the gym? 2 months post op?

Today was one month exactly for me and I went!
Reply 410
Thanks, I hope you're right! Right now I can force them close but it looks ridiculous and is a lot of effort, but if I don't do that I just look confused all the time haha :frown:

Yes I had the same problem it does get better it just takes time I'm 8 week post op and still numb and drooling haha
Original post by Kelta86
Yes I had the same problem it does get better it just takes time I'm 8 week post op and still numb and drooling haha

It's funny how different everyone's recovery was! I never had drooling and as of this morning all of my numbness has gone although I have one small patch on my lips that feels a little bit different.

Although my face blew up to like three times the size with swelling and whilst at the hospital earlier there was a guy having his appointment the day after his surgery with not a single bit of swelling to his face. I was so mad at him.
Today was one month exactly for me and I went!

Were you still swollen and could people notice? Are you able to eat 'normal' food yet? My op is soon and I'm dreading the liquid diet..

Original post by Anonymous
Were you still swollen and could people notice? Are you able to eat 'normal' food yet? My op is soon and I'm dreading the liquid diet..

So, I'm definitely still swollen. I'm not a hippo face anymore, but its definitely still there. Friends have told me that they can see that I'm still swollen, but that if they didn't know me they wouldn't think I looked odd.

I've been eating soft food since day five! The liquid diet really did not work for me, I will not lie. I got my appetite back really quickly and was basically just starving all the time on it, I would eat yogurts and soup through a syringe and it would take SO LONG. I went to see my orthodontist on day five and had a huge melt down over it haha, so I've been on soft food ever since then! Ie. scrambled eggs, mashed potato, pasta, pancakes, rice (tricky!), ice cream, cake, weetabix etc so its doable! If you're anything like me you'll be surprised at what you manage to eat without chewing with a bit of practice, my determination to eat food knows no bounds :P
Reply 414
It's funny how different everyone's recovery was! I never had drooling and as of this morning all of my numbness has gone although I have one small patch on my lips that feels a little bit different.

Although my face blew up to like three times the size with swelling and whilst at the hospital earlier there was a guy having his appointment the day after his surgery with not a single bit of swelling to his face. I was so mad at him.

Yeah my ace ballooned up really bad too I also had a blood clot seeping through my stitches was so painful
To battle hunger pangs weetabix and blended baked beans are great. Liquefied enough that you don't have to chew but still filling

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone have their surgery in the weeks after their A Level exams and apply for special consideration? Were you successful? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megan_12
Did anyone have their surgery in the weeks after their A Level exams and apply for special consideration? Were you successful? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's after exams why would you need special consideration?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone have a minor relapse? I had double jaw surgery about 2 months ago now, and they did make the gap wider for relapse to happen as it does occur apparently when healing.

Just wondering how long till it stops? My jaws are fixated with plates/screws etc.
Reply 419
Original post by boringdude
Did anyone have a minor relapse? I had double jaw surgery about 2 months ago now, and they did make the gap wider for relapse to happen as it does occur apparently when healing.

Just wondering how long till it stops? My jaws are fixated with plates/screws etc.

I had double jaw surgery 9 weeks ago and wasn't old anything about a relapse in the healing process I was told the day after surgery it could happen but not as far in as this maybe it's worth you having a word with your surgeon again

Latest