The Student Room Group

would you live abroad as an adult?

sorry i have no idea where to post this i was just wondering if any young british people were considering living out of the uk as an adult. if so where and for what reason? i would consider one of the scandinavian countries perhaps denmark.
would be nice to hear some other opinions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I think that if I were to live in another country one day, I'd go for somewhere like Norway, Canada or France. I've never been to Norway or Canada, but I feel like those places are the most appealing to me because of their natural beauty. I've always wanted to see the Northern lights, and I (weirdly enough) enjoy living in places with colder weather.

And as for France, I've been there once with my friends. I feel like I have this weird connection with the place because it's just so charming, full of art and passion too!

As much as I want to live there, I really doubt I would have enough money to move in my lifetime! Ah well, a girl can dream :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by em211997
sorry i have no idea where to post this i was just wondering if any young british people were considering living out of the uk as an adult. if so where and for what reason? i would consider one of the scandinavian countries perhaps denmark.

I am a young British person living in Denmark as an adult. Ask away I guess? :tongue: I moved here because I ended up in a relationship with a Dane.
Well I'm an adult and I live abroad...although unfortunately I still live closer to where I used to live, than the distance my friends in the north and where I used to live.

Albeit I am here for only a year. That being said, I do plan on moving abroad when I'm older career wise and I'm trying to get into careers that would let me move etc. I already have a set plan to retire to Paris though!
Reply 4
I've lived in France and Switzerland. Next year I will move to Japan.

I think it's good to get out there and follow your ambitions.
Certainly! I study languages so it's part of my degree for third year anyway, but I have completely fallen in love with France, and easily see myself living there.
Probably Thailand for a bit, one of my good friends lives out there at the minute (she's originally from Newcastle) and I'd love to hang out with her there and have her show me all her favourite places and whatever, she's always doing a ton of cool creative stuff like organising free music shows. Plus I'm interested in the country anyway.
Definitely!!! I hope to live in Italy, Japan or South Korea. To be honest anywhere but here... I don't really have a proper reason, just that I prefer somewhere different. I've always wanted to learn Japanese and speak Italian better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jenny07
Hi,

I think that if I were to live in another country one day, I'd go for somewhere like Norway, Canada or France. I've never been to Norway or Canada, but I feel like those places are the most appealing to me because of their natural beauty. I've always wanted to see the Northern lights, and I (weirdly enough) enjoy living in places with colder weather.

And as for France, I've been there once with my friends. I feel like I have this weird connection with the place because it's just so charming, full of art and passion too!

As much as I want to live there, I really doubt I would have enough money to move in my lifetime! Ah well, a girl can dream :smile:

I'm not sure if I'm right but I thought France was quite racist....
Reply 9
Original post by Ronove
I am a young British person living in Denmark as an adult. Ask away I guess? :tongue: I moved here because I ended up in a relationship with a Dane.

Denmark looks awesome to me. Really laid back too.
From experience, Scandinavian countries are amazing places to live.
Although I am not a British - a German just to mention - I would love to live abroad of my native country. Before Fukushima, Japan was a goal, but after Fukushima it was restricted to Uruguay.
Reply 12
Hi, French here. I am likely to move to the UK after my studies. I think it's all about curiosity and opportunities. Some of my friends want to move to Japan (they already speak Japanese so there's no language barrier for them...)

em211997: you are absolutely right about France.... (that's sad but true...)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Paralove
Certainly! I study languages so it's part of my degree for third year anyway, but I have completely fallen in love with France, and easily see myself living there.

I'm living in FRANCE at the moment and if I hadn't gotten into LSE for next year there is no way Id leave Paris x
Original post by H.Ibrahim
From experience, Scandinavian countries are amazing places to live.

That would be a good alternative when I want to start a family. I have heard that the Scandinavian education systems are modern in terms of the frame conditions (inter alia in Self-reliance of teachers and students), especially the Swedish one. Or is that wrong?
100% yes

Don't want to live in England my whole life... Either America or Europe would be cool. Whole list of places I'd consider

Of course, I hope I will. :smile:

Scandinavia sounds a little, well, on the dull side. :teehee: I think I would prefer to live either somewhere warm and sociable like Italy or somewhere exciting and buzzy and warm, like Brazil or parts of the US. However, it might also be fun to live for a few years in places that are beautiful, rugged and snow-covered, such as Alaska, New Zealand or Norway. And yes, I do know Norway is in Scandinavia. I'm just being contrary. :lol:
No ones going to be able to afford to live in London soon anyway, and well who cares about the rest of the UK?
Original post by Kallisto
That would be a good alternative when I want to start a family. I have heard that the Scandinavian education systems are modern in terms of the frame conditions (inter alia in Self-reliance of teachers and students), especially the Swedish one. Or is that wrong?

Yes that's the one :smile:

HELL YEA...Germany if I manage to learn German on my year abroad or the Netherlands if that fails

Quick Reply

Latest