The Student Room Group

Does anyone else find dressing up makes them feel INSECURE?

Isn't it meant to be the other way round, I mean dressing up should make you feel confident right? If I've gone and spent loads of time on my hair/makeup, planning a dressy outfit etc and go out, I tend to feel very self-conscious or shy if I know I'm standing out a bit or I know people are looking at me. I think I actually prefer wearing a regular top/jeans. Anyone else?
I agree! I feel like when I dress up I am opening myself up to judgement or something!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Isn't it meant to be the other way round, I mean dressing up should make you feel confident right? If I've gone and spent loads of time on my hair/makeup, planning a dressy outfit etc and go out, I tend to feel very self-conscious or shy if I know I'm standing out a bit or I know people are looking at me. I think I actually prefer wearing a regular top/jeans. Anyone else?

It makes me feel more confident tbh. Just don't go to so much effort I guess? It doesn't make sense to put effort in if it's going to make you feel insecure.
Agreed, but I think it's more a comparison thing, I love putting on make-up and getting dressed up, and I feel more confident for about a minute until I see everyone else around me who is also all dressed up and I just think I look rubbish in comparison.
It makes me feel more secure when I put in a certain amount of effort but I can feel a bit self conscious if I'm wearing loaaaads of eye makeup or something I don't usually wear cos I'm not used to it.
Sometimes. Sometine I dress up and look stunning. Othertimes I look naaaah.
I agree. I feel false/uncomfortable/vulnerable and like I'm trying to get attention/approval.

I'm much more comfortable being relaxed and the version of me who can take the world on without all the excessive paraphernalia.
Reply 7
I hate wearing suits. simply because they're expensive and easily damaged and stained.

i pretty much select on my cloths on a criteria of durability, style and comfort.

cuz i've noticed guys tend to want to start fights when i'm out at a nice time. i say start fights. they just take the mick and i threaten to fight. and i don't threaten to fight unless im actually willing to incase i get called out.

n i've wanted to smash a few guys in when i've been wearing a suit but couldnt cuz i new just swiming a punch would end up ruining my jacket or shirt.
Reply 8
I don't normally like getting too dressed up. My style is pretty casual so getting really dressed up makes me feel less comfortable in myself! Probably one of the reasons I didn't enjoy my prom
I imagine the problem is that you try 100% but you still don't look perfect so it's like "damn, I'm not perfect and I never will be".

At least when you are not "dressed up" you can tell yourself that you would look better if you were "dressed up" when you notice a flaw in yourself...
(edited 9 years ago)
I think I love the idea of dressing up but not actually doing it. It makes me feel really self conscious and insecure about my body when I wear a dress, or a skirt with heels. I'd rather wear jeans and a nice blouse
Original post by TorpidPhil
I imagine the problem is that you try 100% but you still don't look perfect so it's like "damn, I'm not perfect and I never will be".

At least when you are not "dressed up" you can tell yourself that you would look better if you were "dressed up" when you notice a flaw in yourself...

Ah yes this exactly!
Original post by Anonymous
Ah yes this exactly!

Stop feeling bad about yourself then! We're all perfectly flawed and don't just take it from me, take it from Otep:

YES!!! This is me! Because you attract more attention, more people look at you etc.
Yeah a little. I feel more like me in my band tees and jeans than in a dress. Also noticed I get more compliments when I am casual rather than dressed up. I must give off an air of awkwardness and it shows when I wear a dress instead of jeans lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending