The Student Room Group

I'm sick of all these threads moaning about things being better in other countries...

.....especially America, ask me anything.

See this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2919045 as an example of what I mean. :mad:

Scroll to see replies

It's true though. That's why so many multinational companies employ immigrants as they are more likely to be polite and appreciate the work than look miserable. It just seems to me that you cannot accept criticism of the United Kingdom and you also cannot accept that a lot of other countries do a lot of things better. Typical British arrogance claiming to be better than everyone else. There's a lot of good things we do but there's also a lot of things we do that are just blatantly idiotic.
Original post by pinkteddyx64

See this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2919045 as an example of what I mean. :mad:

Have you been outside the UK to find out?

Customer service is so much better in the United States...it's not even funny.
Original post by Fidus Achates
It's true though. That's why so many multinational companies employ immigrants as they are more likely to be polite and appreciate the work than look miserable. It just seems to me that you cannot accept criticism of the United Kingdom and you also cannot accept that a lot of other countries do a lot of things better. Typical British arrogance claiming to be better than everyone else. There's a lot of good things we do but there's also a lot of things we do that are just blatantly idiotic.

Well said!
Original post by jammy4041
Have you been outside the UK to find out?

Customer service is so much better in the United States...it's not even funny.

Yes but not to America thank god. I'm sick of Americanism being rammed down our throats as though they are the beacon of excellence when in fact they are hardly that!

We are hardly the worst at customer service as I learnt during my time in Russia earlier this year.

I accept somethings in other countries may be better than here, but the way the media ram it down our throats so often is borderlining on depressing. :frown:

PRSOM.

I absolutely hate the UK being bashed at every opportunity! Why oh why oh why are people allowed to post crappy "<insert name of country> is better than us at this" style propaganda threads!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
Original post by spotify95
PRSOM.

I absolutely hate the UK being bashed at every opportunity! Why oh why oh why are people allowed to post crappy "<insert name of country> is better than us at this" style propaganda threads!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
People will hide behind their freedom of speech wall, that's why. :frown:

I accept somethings in other countries may be better than here, but the way the media ram it down our throats so often is borderlining on depressing. :frown:

The media is generally depressing, regardless of this. There's loads of stories every day about people giving money to the homeless, people building shelters, people giving to charities or fundraising for charities, children with life long illnesses battling against them and doing well in life overcoming the mental struggles, soldiers doing the same after returning from service - I could go on forever - but the media would rather tell you about the rapists, the murderers, the pedophiles, the politicians that are involved in expenses scandals and so forth because it has the shock value and gets more of a reaction.

Find a story with a bit of shock value, throw in a bit of yellow journalism and you have a borderline fictitious piece of rubbish that people will read and react to. It's what sells.
The media is generally depressing, regardless of this. There's loads of stories every day about people giving money to the homeless, people building shelters, people giving to charities or fundraising for charities, children with life long illnesses battling against them and doing well in life overcoming the mental struggles, soldiers doing the same after returning from service - I could go on forever - but the media would rather tell you about the rapists, the murderers, the pedophiles, the politicians that are involved in expenses scandals and so forth because it has the shock value and gets more of a reaction.

Find a story with a bit of shock value, throw in a bit of yellow journalism and you have a borderline fictitious piece of rubbish that people will read and react to. It's what sells.

You've got yourself a +1 rep. :yep: :cool:
You've got yourself a +1 rep. :yep: :cool:

And I've given +5 rep. :smile:
Yeah right, what don't these people leave.
Original post by Pretty Girl
Most European countries are 'better' than the UK though. Germany, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Finland and others are all better than this country at stuff people care about like education, healthcare, crime and overall living standards. Even Ireland is now a better place than the UK according to the HDI. This country has too much inequality to be even considered as a good place to live.

Jesus wept, he really did. :cry:

I didn't ask or choose to be born in this country.

Besides, you don't know how good we have it in comparison to the likes of Belarus, North Korea and Cuba etc! In Belarus for example, a rant about the government or a rant like this thread could have cost me my life! :eek:

Why is it in the countries where they are worse than we are, they are grateful for what they have got and learn to have a happy life, whereas here, we are quick to belittle ourselves in comparison to another country?
Most European countries are 'better' than the UK though. Germany, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Finland and others are all better than this country at stuff people care about like education, healthcare, crime and overall living standards. Even Ireland is now a better place than the UK according to the HDI. This country has too much inequality to be even considered as a good place to live.

:doh: :mad: :banghead: :rolleyes: :yawn: :doh: :rolleyes: :sad: :doh:

Seriously please give up with these propaganda stories! why do we have to be compared to such countries!!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: :doh:

Jesus wept, he really did. :cry:

I didn't ask or choose to be born in this country.

Besides, you don't know how good we have it in comparison to the likes of Belarus, North Korea and Cuba etc! In Belarus for example, a rant about the government or a rant like this thread could have cost me my life! :eek:

Why is it in the countries where they are worse than we are, they are grateful for what they have got and learn to have a happy life, whereas here, we are quick to belittle ourselves in comparison to another country?

PRSOM.

Christ on a bike, please give up the propaganda! (That comment wasn't directed at you, but it was directed to all these potty propaganda wackos on TSR making these "<name of country> is better than us at this" styled threads or comments.)
(edited 9 years ago)
We wouldn't need to be if we left the EU. It's about time this country starting pulling its weight in Europe.

Though tbh we don't actually need to be in Europe! We need to be out of the EU. Then things would change. :smile:
Original post by spotify95
Though tbh we don't actually need to be in Europe! We need to be out of the EU. Then things would change. :smile:

:yep:

In the meantime, can we sue DS for every second of every day we remain a member of the EU?
When do the media ram it down our throats? What country is portrayed as being better than the UK in the media? Definitely not America, most representations of the USA in the media involve people being shot.
Inb4 I want to move to North Korea
Original post by Copperknickers
When do the media ram it down our throats? What country is portrayed as being better than the UK in the media? Definitely not America, most representations of the USA in the media involve people being shot.

Digital Spy and the BBC are always representing the USA as being the bees knees! :rolleyes:
I'll fix your thread title for you:

I'm sick of all these threads moaning about things being better in other countries

I concur.
OP no one is forcing a gun to your head to read the threads.

UK sucks, US sucks, Europe sucks, everywhere sucks.

Quick Reply

Latest