The Student Room Group

Dentistry.

Hi All.

Firstly I apologise if I have posted in the wrong part of the forum and I thank anyone in advance for advice.

I have had a real passion to join the dentistry course offered in Manchester for the past year (finally decided on a career at 22 ).

I am determined to make sure I become a dentist ! . The hard part is I left school at 16 with no qualifications and went straight into work. I've managed to build myself up a relatively good career and now work as a senior recruitment consultant in Manchester City Centre, i have a partner, own flat etc so I suppose you could say I am 'settled'.

Having looked into it as much as possible I still can't seem to find the best pathway or understand the requirements exactly so I am looking for some help. What would be the best way ? and what are the exact requirements in as clear terms as possible ?

Or is it even worth it to go for it now as I would maybe be too old ? (I'm 22)

I have a burning passion to do this and would really appreciate any help, blunt as possible if needed.

I appreciate I would have to give up everything i have worked hard for etc but i have discussed this with my partner but luckily in the position to be able to support me somewhat to complete my course (s)

Thanks !
Original post by LittleSpectacles
Hi All.

Firstly I apologise if I have posted in the wrong part of the forum and I thank anyone in advance for advice.

I have had a real passion to join the dentistry course offered in Manchester for the past year (finally decided on a career at 22 ).

I am determined to make sure I become a dentist ! . The hard part is I left school at 16 with no qualifications and went straight into work. I've managed to build myself up a relatively good career and now work as a senior recruitment consultant in Manchester City Centre, i have a partner, own flat etc so I suppose you could say I am 'settled'.

Having looked into it as much as possible I still can't seem to find the best pathway or understand the requirements exactly so I am looking for some help. What would be the best way ? and what are the exact requirements in as clear terms as possible ?

Or is it even worth it to go for it now as I would maybe be too old ? (I'm 22)

I have a burning passion to do this and would really appreciate any help, blunt as possible if needed.

I appreciate I would have to give up everything i have worked hard for etc but i have discussed this with my partner but luckily in the position to be able to support me somewhat to complete my course (s)

Thanks !

It's far from impossible - but you will have to work hard to get there, and you should be aware that competition is stiff. You're not too old though - they explicitly say that there's no upper age limit. You certainly won't be the oldest there - it's very common for people to do dentistry after doing a different undergraduate degree (e.g. in biomedical science).

Firstly, take a look at the entry requirements on their website. http://www.dentistry.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/bds/?pg=3 The qualification route that is most relevant to you is the Access to HE Route.

Access to HE courses are one year college courses which are designed for people like you - adults returning to education after a number of years away from education. Manchester College offers a suitable option http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.uk/options/193/Medicine-Dentistry-Pharmacy-and-Medical-Science

You'll also need to retake your GCSE English and Maths and get B grades, if you haven't got those grades already, but you should be able to do this alongside an Access course.

You'll need to take the UKCAT test.

You'll also need to get some work experience, shadowing a dentist (min 2 weeks) - it needs to be with a general dentist (the sort you go to for a check up) rather than a hospital dentist, because that's where most dentistry grads end up working. However, shadowing a hospital dentist / orthodontist / similar is an added bonus.

You'll also need to demonstrate manual dexterity - after all, you're going to be putting drills into the mouths of small children. This is commonly done by taking up a suitable hobby - embroidery, building ships out of matchsticks, playing the harp, that sort of thing.

You'll need to be able to demonstrate working both (a) as part of a team, and (b) as a team leader. I'm sure that this is the sort of thing where your working life will be very valuable.

The other thing to mention is that as dentistry is so brutally competitive, you may need to move away from Manchester to follow your passion. You can apply to four dentistry courses + one back up choice, but inevitably 3 of these will be in other cities. Make sure you also look at what they demand from their applicants. If you do find that you are rejected from all your dentistry choices, you may like to consider Oral Health Sciences as an alternative http://www.dentistry.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/bsc/

In terms of timescales, you should be thinking now about
a) getting a place on an Access course
b) finding work experience
c) doing something to demonstrate manual dexterity.

Then
September 2015 - June 2016 Access Course
October 15th 2015 - deadline for dentistry UCAS applications for 2016 entry (no exceptions!)
September 2016 - start dentistry degree (hopefully!)
Thanks so much for your reply !

Lots of great helpful advice for me. I will start looking into all this now.

I understand how competitive it is after researching so fingers crossed by doing all this hard work it should pay off.

Again thanks ! and fingers crossed ! :redface:)
I contacted Manchester College regarding the above course and there stating that I would have to obtain the GCSE's prior to being able to apply for this course. Theyve suggested that I could start the GCSE courses for English Maths and Biology in September, would this mean I have to add an extra year on to my studies or ?

Thanks !
Original post by LittleSpectacles
I contacted Manchester College regarding the above course and there stating that I would have to obtain the GCSE's prior to being able to apply for this course. Theyve suggested that I could start the GCSE courses for English Maths and Biology in September, would this mean I have to add an extra year on to my studies or ?

Thanks !

I'd suggest having a look at other providers of English and Maths GCSEs locally - you may find that they have options starting this month, with exams in May / June. That would allow you to start the Manchester College Access course in September, after you receive your results in August.
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/200004/adult_education/5854/adult_education_courses/3
http://www.manchester.gov.uk/courses/search/

Alternatively, one of the other college in Manchester might be willing to let you do your GCSEs alongside an Access course - run a course search here https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/search.aspx make sure that the Access course you're looking at would be acceptable for dentistry, and then contact them and ask about your GCSEs.
Many thanks for your help !

Currently looking at doing GCSE's alongside the course elsewhere such as at home etc .

I've emailed off to Manchester Uni also to make them aware of my situation and confirm everything with them to make sure it's a pathway they would be happy with as the more and more I'm looking at dentistry its soooooo competitive . I'm sort of daunted thinking why would they want someone who had done a years course at college compared to someone who has outstanding GCSEs/A levels s but I have to be determined !

Quick Reply

Latest