The Student Room Group

Guys know if they like a girl immediately, girls don't ?

I have this theory that a guy will know if he likes a girl (not as in a sexual or in an attractive way but as in romantic/relationship wise) within seconds of meeting the girl. Whereas for girls its more likely for them to realize they like a guy after a period of time, but not immediately.

What do you think? would like to hear any experiences that relate to this

Scroll to see replies

Nope. I've been attracted to girls months/years after first meeting them.
I think both parties can immediately experience lust. And I guess from that often stems the desire to possess, and be in a relationship. But my experience: I have yet to meet anyone who I was found I was instantly, unconditionally, interested in a relationship with - that would be nuts.

I have a feeling that what you're referring to is that guys find the girls they meet attractive with alarming frequency.
It's a documented biological phenomenon :h:

When you think about it though it does seem obvious. Women make a mistaken choice of mate and they're stuck with 9months of pregnancy, men make a poor choice and they move to another. Men choosing quickly equals lots of genes passed on and women choosing carefully means their kid survives to pass on genes. Tadah :awesome:
Women's attraction is complex and is can be affected by a load of factors that aren't apparent until you've interacted with them for some time. I could never look at someone and say that I wanted to go out with them.
I could look at someone and ascertain whether their face looks warm/attractive but the proof of the person is how they interact with me, values etc. That takes considerable time to find out.
I don't think that's true for me anyway, to love someone in that way so early on.
Reply 6
No, guys know who they'd like to take to bed immediately because they tend to be more shallow than women. Women are most likely to compromise on their standards than men.

Generalisations of mine.
Original post by ontrack7
I have this theory that a guy will know if he likes a girl (not as in a sexual or in an attractive way but as in romantic/relationship wise) within seconds of meeting the girl. Whereas for girls its more likely for them to realize they like a guy after a period of time, but not immediately.

That's quite true to be honest. I have to be in deep thought for at least 2 days to figure out if I like a guy or not. I have to go over every scenario, every encounter, every message and every single moment of tension. ahhaha it's a very thorough process.
Reply 8
Original post by Tillybop
It's a documented biological phenomenon :h:

When you think about it though it does seem obvious. Women make a mistaken choice of mate and they're stuck with 9months of pregnancy, men make a poor choice and they move to another. Men choosing quickly equals lots of genes passed on and women choosing carefully means their kid survives to pass on genes. Tadah :awesome:

Applauds. Well put. :biggrin:
Reply 9
I've never liked a guy immediately. It's always been a while after meeting them and getting to know them, usually months later. Of course, by which time they've lost interest (not that I'd expect anyone to wait around until I became attracted to them). I can't fathom how romantic attraction from either sex can happen so soon. You don't know their personality, their annoying habits, their likes and dislikes, whether they're sexist, racist, ageist, etc. They could have a raging temper on them but you're not gonna know that instantly.

Sexual attraction? Of course. Romantic attraction though? Find that hard to believe, personally.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Nope. I've been attracted to girls months/years after first meeting them.

This. I've started like people months later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by catsis
No, guys know who they'd like to take to bed immediately because they tend to be more shallow than women. Women are most likely to compromise on their standards than men.

Generalisations of mine.

Women are more shallow than men, a generalisation of mine :colone:
OP has a point. It makes sense from a biological standpoint seeing women need to invest time in children so need to make sure it's not a shag and dash.

Mind you I've found girls attractive initially only to find them hideous now.
I have never liked a girl straight away like that, it actually annoys a lot of girls who like me because I hang around with all girls there is a lot of that, that comes my way. I can like a girl as a friend or possible **** buddy depending on there character and if they're a nice person but like a girl in a serious relationship then we would have to share same interests or some common ground to find that attraction.

It's not just girls, but everyone in general. I can tell very quickly whether I will enjoy being around someone or not. For sexual/romantic things though it does take longer but obviously I need to enjoy being around you to start with for that to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
No, I've not known if I'd want a relationship with a girl that quickly. I know if I find her attractive, but whether I want a relationship depends on her personality too, which means getting to know her a bit first.
As a crude generalisation:

Guys tend to like a girl if they find her attractive.

Girls tend to find a guy attractive if they like him.

Attraction is judged quicker than liking, so girls are more likely to take longer to find a guy attractive.
Original post by MissLalaxx
That's quite true to be honest. I have to be in deep thought for at least 2 days to figure out if I like a guy or not. I have to go over every scenario, every encounter, every message and every single moment of tension. ahhaha it's a very thorough process.

so if a guy you weren't physically attracted to came over to you and started chatting to you you wouldn't just tell him to go away but instead you'd be in deep thought for two days about weather you liked him. somehow i find this hard to believe given that women tend to see looks as more important than personality

attraction happens immediately but you can't tell if you want a relationship instantly be you male or female.
For me and my boyfriend it was exactly the other way round.

Over a year after we had started going out he told me that his very first thoughts were more along the lines of 'Oh God, what I am doing here. That's never going to work.' because I seemed too shy / nervous, and he only stayed out of politeness. Whereas I immediately had a 'good' feeling about him, he just seemed like my kind of person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending