The Student Room Group

Offered Human Bioscience instead of Paramedic Science?

Hi everyone :smile:

I applied for Paramedic Science at Northampton Uni and have just been given an unconditional offer for Human Bioscience instead.

I applied to Northampton for Para science 2 years ago and got an interview but they ended up offering me Human Bioscience.

Since the interview I have worked in care for 1 1/2 years, I've become a Community First Responder and have been on many observation shifts on ambulances.

So I was just wondering why they wouldn't offer me an interview this year when I have much more experience than the first year I applied?

Has anyone else had this before? :frown::frown: :confused: :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by lauraburbage

I applied for Paramedic Science at Northampton Uni and have just been given an unconditional offer for Human Bioscience instead.

I applied to Northampton for Para science 2 years ago and got an interview but they ended up offering me Human Bioscience.

Since the interview I have worked in care for 1 1/2 years, I've become a Community First Responder and have been on many observation shifts on ambulances.

So I was just wondering why they wouldn't offer me an interview this year when I have much more experience than the first year I applied?

Have you checked that your academic background meets their entrance requirements? Other than not meeting their academic standards, either your PS is letting you down or there is another reason. In order to get to the bottom of it, it would be best to contact their admissions staff to get a reason. :redface:
Reply 2
I have also applied for paramedic science at northampton, I am currently doing placements in hospitals and have met all the requirements, although I do not know if I passed the online maths and English. I got 14/15 in maths and 7/10 in English.
I got an email through today also offering me the human bioscience.
Also confused with that offer.
Original post by Dadeo
Have you checked that your academic background meets their entrance requirements? Other than not meeting their academic standards, either your PS is letting you down or there is another reason. In order to get to the bottom of it, it would be best to contact their admissions staff to get a reason. :redface:

I am 20 ucas points under their entry requirements so that may be it but I think I will give them a ring and clarify :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Emma_faye
I have also applied for paramedic science at northampton, I am currently doing placements in hospitals and have met all the requirements, although I do not know if I passed the online maths and English. I got 14/15 in maths and 7/10 in English.

If you meet all the requirements then I think its only one of two things. Either the course is oversubscribed/full but they still want you at their uni or while your academic background is strong, there are stronger candidates than you. Best thing to do would be contact admissions and find out why. They are the only ones that can give you the real reason rather than speculation. :]
Original post by Emma_faye

I wasnt even aware that there were online tests to do so haven't done any of them! But yeah that is really strange I would contact them like I am doing :smile:
Original post by Dadeo
If you meet all the requirements then I think its only one of two things. Either the course is oversubscribed/full but they still want you at their uni or while your academic background is strong, there are stronger candidates than you. Best thing to do would be contact admissions and find out why. They are the only ones that can give you the real reason rather than speculation. :]

I will defo do that thanks for your replies :smile:
Original post by lauraburbage

Hello there,
I know there is some confusion around this subject so I am here to help set the record straight.
If applicants are unsuccessful in their application to Paramedic Science and they have demonstrated potential in their application and interest in a health and care career, then may provide them with a special opportunity to be part of another programme by offering a place on a higher level award programme BSc (Hons) Human Biosciences, UCAS Code: B190. The details of this offer with its conditions will be sent to them by UCAS and can also be found by accessing UCAS Track.
Unfortunately the UCAS tracker is updated far quicker than a letter is recieved and thus obviously causes some confusion.
If you have any more questions about your indvidual applications then you can call admissions on 01604 892042.
Laura :smile:
Original post by The University of Northampton
Hello there,
I know there is some confusion around this subject so I am here to help set the record straight.
If applicants are unsuccessful in their application to Paramedic Science and they have demonstrated potential in their application and interest in a health and care career, then may provide them with a special opportunity to be part of another programme by offering a place on a higher level award programme BSc (Hons) Human Biosciences, UCAS Code: B190. The details of this offer with its conditions will be sent to them by UCAS and can also be found by accessing UCAS Track.
Unfortunately the UCAS tracker is updated far quicker than a letter is recieved and thus obviously causes some confusion.
If you have any more questions about your indvidual applications then you can call admissions on 01604 892042.
Laura :smile:

Thank you for your reply I have contacted admissions and unfortunately I didn't reach the academic entry requirements :frown: thanks anyway! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest