The Student Room Group

Apply to Law with Science Foundation Year?

I am currently on a science foundation year course, but I have now realised that this isn't where I want to be, and my area of interest and expertise lies in Law. My A-Levels aren't great- with only 260 UCAS points, but I did 2 science A-Levels and these brought my results down, I did get an A in English A-Level. I also have good essay based GCSES grades (and overall), with A* grades in GCSE Eng Lit and R.S, an A in History and B's in English Language and Geography. My course is obviously unrelated to Law, and having e-mailed universities the response I get is usually that foundation year applications are assessed on a case by case basis. Assuming I could create a good personal statement, find some work experience and get a good reference would you say I have a chance in applying? Has anyone done this before? Unis said if they were to offer me a place it would be with a 70% in my foundation year? Just want some re-assurance :smile:
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Anyone? :frown:
Law is one subject that doesnt specify subjects - they just want MEGA high grades.

So it isnt the subject that will be the issue here - it'll be the fact that you had low enough grades to need to do a Foundation course.
Its one of the most competitive Uni courses and even those with very high predictions and a strong PS are not certain of an offer.

Look at subjects like ... Legal Studies, Politics, Sociology or a joint subject course (Law and .....) instead.
Reply 4
Original post by sydneybridge
Law is one subject that doesnt specify subjects - they just want MEGA high grades.

So it isnt the subject that will be the issue here - it'll be the fact that you had low enough grades to need to do a Foundation course.
Its one of the most competitive Uni courses and even those with very high predictions and a strong PS are not certain of an offer.

Look at subjects like ... Legal Studies, Politics, Sociology or a joint subject course (Law and .....) instead.

Yeah I thought so. As I'm applying with my foundation year, is A-Level performance still a key factor or would they look at performance so far on the course (I.e ask for module results)?
Reply 5
Anyone else got any ideas?
Original post by LawFromSci
Anyone else got any ideas?

I'm afraid I'm with sydneybridge on this one. Your low grades will preclude you from entering into a law degree at a university likely to provide you with a good enough degree to enter the profession. Better to complete your science degree and do really well in it, then do law conversion afterwards. However, the market is pretty saturated with lawyers as it is and things will be hard.
Reply 7
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm afraid I'm with sydneybridge on this one. Your low grades will preclude you from entering into a law degree at a university likely to provide you with a good enough degree to enter the profession. Better to complete your science degree and do really well in it, then do law conversion afterwards. However, the market is pretty saturated with lawyers as it is and things will be hard.

When I emailed them they gave the impression that I would be considered on my foundation year progression (is this as opposed to my A-Levels) and the offer would be subject to that (foundation year is harder than A-Levels as my degree does it to Level 4 which is degree standard), so would they still judge me for my A-Levels or would extra-curricular things (PS, reference etc.) be taken into consideration? I should note that even if I apply and get rejected, it doesn't affect my progression on this degree.
When I emailed them they gave the impression that I would be considered on my foundation year progression (is this as opposed to my A-Levels) and the offer would be subject to that (foundation year is harder than A-Levels as my degree does it to Level 4 which is degree standard), so would they still judge me for my A-Levels or would extra-curricular things (PS, reference etc.) be taken into consideration? I should note that even if I apply and get rejected, it doesn't affect my progression on this degree.

My assumption is based on the usual situation whereby if you want to switch to another degree after doing the first year of something else, you apply through Ucas in the same way and have to meet the usual entry criteria that anyone else starting it from scratch would do. If you have spoken to an admissions tutor and been told that they would consider your foundation year as in some way adding to your A levels, then that's good. Your application would still be made up of other elements and your ps would still have to show the suitability for law that anyone else's does.
Reply 9
My assumption is based on the usual situation whereby if you want to switch to another degree after doing the first year of something else, you apply through Ucas in the same way and have to meet the usual entry criteria that anyone else starting it from scratch would do. If you have spoken to an admissions tutor and been told that they would consider your foundation year as in some way adding to your A levels, then that's good. Your application would still be made up of other elements and your ps would still have to show the suitability for law that anyone else's does.

Yeah I tried to clarify that but they were quite slippery, they just recommended me to apply and that I would be considered (another point is that some Unis outright said they wouldn't consider me because of A levels, so surely the fact that others have told me to apply means that they wouldn't reject on A-Levels alone?). Fwiw, what would you do?
Yeah I tried to clarify that but they were quite slippery, they just recommended me to apply and that I would be considered (another point is that some Unis outright said they wouldn't consider me because of A levels, so surely the fact that others have told me to apply means that they wouldn't reject on A-Levels alone?). Fwiw, what would you do?

My situation is so far removed from your that I doubt my course of action would be attractive to you, but I'd stick to my current degree and get the best grade I could and think of going into something other than law, but that's because I know how saturated the market it.
Reply 11
My situation is so far removed from your that I doubt my course of action would be attractive to you, but I'd stick to my current degree and get the best grade I could and think of going into something other than law, but that's because I know how saturated the market it.

I get you with the saturated market point, thanks for the advice btw. Only problem is the degree is of no interest to me and quite frankly is a dead end one anyway, won't lead to a prospect job. Also as I noted before applications doesn't hinder progress through to year 1, so the worst that'll happen is rejection and I carry on the degree anywau?
Reply 12
Most Uni's are replying saying they would consider me with my foundation year. Can anyone shed any light on the likelihood of offers?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Should note that these are good Unis that I'm referring to; Manchester, Birmingham, York, Lancaster, Kent etc.
'We will consider you' does not mean 'Offer'.

Unless your overall academic profile (A levels, GCSEs etc) is otherwise good and you have a very strong PS (reasons for studying Law, reasons you did the Foundation course, reasons you did Science and not something more relevant, and you have relevant work experience and can reflect on that in a meaningful way etc) then you will be way down the list from those with predictions A*AA. Therefore you will not be priority for an Offer.

Kent and Lancaster are probably more realistic choices than Manchester which is fiercely competitive and where many even with top A levels and a strong PS wont get an offer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by sydneybridge
'We will consider you' does not mean 'Offer'.

Unless your overall academic profile (A levels, GCSEs etc) is otherwise good and you have a very strong PS (reasons for studying Law, reasons you did the Foundation course, reasons you did Science and not something more relevant, and you have relevant work experience and can reflect on that in a meaningful way etc) then you will be way down the list from those with predictions A*AA. Therefore you will not be priority for an Offer.

Kent and Lancaster are probably more realistic choices than Manchester which is fiercely competitive and where many even with top A levels and a strong PS wont get an offer.

Yeah I know, accept its gonna be tough tbh. Got module marks back and did quite well in them (over 75% average), so I'm just considering option atm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending