The Student Room Group

volunteering for 16 year old

ive been looking on those volunteering sites but they state that i'm too young, where are the best places to volunteer for a 16 year old? :smile:
please someone tell meee

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Check the website www.do-it.uk.. It has plenty of volunteering opportunities for 16 plus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Check the website www.do-it.uk.. It has plenty of volunteering opportunities for 16 plus.

I looked on there and couldn't find much, but I'll try again, thanks :smile:
I'm not sure exactly what sort of volunteering you are looking for, but most primary school will take on volunteers for an afternoon or one morning a week when you are 16. You will be to have a crb check, but they will get the forms and help you fill them in once you have contacted them. I think its best if you go directly to the school rather than calling, as they might ignore you if you call (although this is unlikely) and you might get a better response in person.

Its such a fulfilling experience as well. You don't need to do anything drastic such as save people lives to have a good experience as a volunteer. Working in the classroom environment is very enjoyable as well as challenging. Send me a message if you want any more info :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
ive been looking on those volunteering sites but they state that i'm too young, where are the best places to volunteer for a 16 year old? :smile:

You can volunteer with rainbows/brownies/guides from age 14 onwards.
Reply 6
Have you looked at NCS? It is for 15-17 year olds and runs programmes during school holidays. I knew someone who did it last summer and she rated it very highly and wants to take part in the international scheme when she's older.

http://www.ncsyes.co.uk

As others have said, helping at rainbows or brownies would give you great experience. You could also approach charity shops - working there for an afternoon a week gives you shop skills that can help get you paid weekend work.

Best of luck
Original post by marple
Have you looked at NCS? It is for 15-17 year olds and runs programmes during school holidays. I knew someone who did it last summer and she rated it very highly and wants to take part in the international scheme when she's older.

http://www.ncsyes.co.uk

As others have said, helping at rainbows or brownies would give you great experience. You could also approach charity shops - working there for an afternoon a week gives you shop skills that can help get you paid weekend work.

Best of luck

is that the challenge thing? and there's a charit shop around the corner from my house, could I just walk in and ask about volunteering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pirate123
I'm not sure exactly what sort of volunteering you are looking for, but most primary school will take on volunteers for an afternoon or one morning a week when you are 16. You will be to have a crb check, but they will get the forms and help you fill them in once you have contacted them. I think its best if you go directly to the school rather than calling, as they might ignore you if you call (although this is unlikely) and you might get a better response in person.

Its such a fulfilling experience as well. You don't need to do anything drastic such as save people lives to have a good experience as a volunteer. Working in the classroom environment is very enjoyable as well as challenging. Send me a message if you want any more info :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks, I don't think I can do that unfortunately, my school allows us to do work experience on Wednesday afternoons because of enrichment, but it has to be related to what career we want to do, volunteering in a primary school would be great but it's not related to what career I want to go into, but thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks, I don't think I can do that unfortunately, my school allows us to do work experience on Wednesday afternoons because of enrichment, but it has to be related to what career we want to do, volunteering in a primary school would be great but it's not related to what career I want to go into, but thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I was assuming you were in sixth form so would have free periods, and it wouldn't be linked to your school lol

Well if you wanted to when you're in y12, its still really fun :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
is that the challenge thing? and there's a charit shop around the corner from my house, could I just walk in and ask about volunteering?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you can just go to your local charity shop to ask about volunteering, they're usually looking for more volunteers! I started volunteering at my local charity shop at 16 too, you'll probably have to just fill in a volunteer form and possibly get your school to sign the form too (that's what I had to do).
Posted from TSR Mobile

What type of volunteering do you want to do and what do you want to do when you grow up.
Hi, I started volunteering when I was sixteen.

I phoned up Oxfam in my area and they let me start almost immediately; I volunteered at Beavers/cubs/scouts thing for a while through an old friend's mum; and the local library runs a volunteer scheme where you can do things like teacher older people how to use computers etc...

There's always summer things, like NCS above and the summer reading challenge... and I know lot's of people at my school, even in younger years, who volunteer weekly at primary schools/nurseries.

But yeah, a good idea is to just walk into the places and ask :smile:
Original post by Pirate123
Sorry, I was assuming you were in sixth form so would have free periods, and it wouldn't be linked to your school lol

Well if you wanted to when you're in y12, its still really fun :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh no I am in sixth form :smile:, however my frees last 50 mins which is probably not enough time for me to get to another school and back for registration, also some of my frees get taken up sometimes :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tara8000
Hi, I started volunteering when I was sixteen.

I phoned up Oxfam in my area and they let me start almost immediately; I volunteered at Beavers/cubs/scouts thing for a while through an old friend's mum; and the local library runs a volunteer scheme where you can do things like teacher older people how to use computers etc...

There's always summer things, like NCS above and the summer reading challenge... and I know lot's of people at my school, even in younger years, who volunteer weekly at primary schools/nurseries.

But yeah, a good idea is to just walk into the places and ask :smile:

thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

What type of volunteering do you want to do and what do you want to do when you grow up.

hi, charity shop volunteering looks fine for :smile: and I'm not certain but I'm going toward something chemistry related

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, new here.

When I was younger, I volunteered at an old persons home as part of a whole-class experience if you will..

Try calling, writing in letter form or going to the establishment its self, it's the easiest method.

Even handing in your CV to places will help due to the establishment knowing what you're strong and weak points are. :five: :pepsi:.

I hope I helped,

Oli.
Original post by oliverk99
Hi, new here.

When I was younger, I volunteered at an old persons home as part of a whole-class experience if you will..

Try calling, writing in letter form or going to the establishment its self, it's the easiest method.

Even handing in your CV to places will help due to the establishment knowing what you're strong and weak points are. :five: :pepsi:.

I hope I helped,

Oli.

thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya :smile:

Vinspired is a good site for finding volunteering ops for young people. Also girl guiding is a good one, they're always looking for people - There's the senior section. While it might not be directly related to your career path it definitely improves confidence, leadership, organisation which employers value. You can work towards official qualifications too if you liked it. Befriending the elderly, maybe? To be honest, all charities are pretty desperate for volunteers it's just portraying yourself in the best light and proving yourself as a young person (which is a pain but life!) It's also super good if you can find a cause you're really passionate about, it just makes it more worthwhile i've found/

If you need a hand with anything give me a shout
x

Volunteer with rainbows/brownies/guides

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending