The Student Room Group

Most of the main Green policies are terrifying

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Nor should you.. but joining a terrorist organisation or campaigning in support is beyond thought and into action, from there you are only a few steps to taking violent action.

Your later point is largely irrelevant since we've firstly not extracted resources from anywhere below 2km underground and secondly because we are already seeking alternatives in space.

Resources right now are finite but finite for coal for example is several centuries worth. It's entirely probable that before the century is out, we will have moved to a system of abundance.

Well, if we are to continue to burn coal at the rate we currently are, the planets not going to be in a very good state by the end of the century. If the price for a growing economy is raising the temperature of the planet so as to cause devastating effects, then i think we need to stop the obsession with economic growth.
Saw this the other day.

Having Greens in charge honestly terrifies me.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Not at all. Just demonstrating zero growth economy doesn't work. You need growth to employ new people coming into the job market.

It can definitely work at a local level, where people share out resources of energy and food. It's perfectly possible with government decentralisation. We don't have a choice, the economy can't grow forever. Resources are finite.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Because part of the job of the government should be to balance the books, and you can only implement so much taxation. All borrowing does is defer the debt, that means that we will be paying for it and not our parents and grandparents. We pay for their irresponsibility

Well they could definitely implement more taxation than they are now. Don't think the current government are borrowing any less because they say the economy is growing. If you increase public spending, which increases employment, those people are then earning and can pay greater amounts of tax, thus in the long run balancing the books. All austerity does is reduce spending, but massively reduce the tax intake. The economy grows for the 1% and corporations essentially receiving welfare payments through tax cuts. We will continue to pay for their irresponsibility, until we realise that there can be a different way of doing things. Otherwise, just sit around and wait for the next financial crash to happen, as inequality grows greater and greater.

The same way it always has, with new resources or looking further afield. As Rakas has said, we have only considered a tiny fraction of the resources available to us, the easiest to get, but when they run dry, we go for harder stuff so mining asteroids or deeper in the crust; or perhaps go for a completely new replacement so when the resource runs dry we don't need it anymore, as is the case with coal and oil. Remember how coal used to be a big thing? Yeah, like that.

As i said to Rakas, Continue burning Fossil fuels, bye bye planet, bye bye food resources and hello dystopian future.
Original post by Lawrence1234
Well they could definitely implement more taxation than they are now. Don't think the current government are borrowing any less because they say the economy is growing. If you increase public spending, which increases employment, those people are then earning and can pay greater amounts of tax, thus in the long run balancing the books. All austerity does is reduce spending, but massively reduce the tax intake. The economy grows for the 1% and corporations essentially receiving welfare payments through tax cuts. We will continue to pay for their irresponsibility, until we realise that there can be a different way of doing things. Otherwise, just sit around and wait for the next financial crash to happen, as inequality grows greater and greater.

Jobs in the public sector generate money? Ummm, how high is their tax exactly? Which is cheaper for the taxpayer: 10k of benefits, or £15k of wages, of which only £1k is recovered in additional taxes (well, you could argue more from other sources, but certainly not 5k)? An unnecessarily large public sector does little but make your employment (well, you could argue strictly unemployment) figures look nicer.

As i said to Rakas, Continue burning Fossil fuels, bye bye planet, bye bye food resources and hello dystopian future.
oh, you're one of those.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Jobs in the public sector generate money? Ummm, how high is their tax exactly? Which is cheaper for the taxpayer: 10k of benefits, or £15k of wages, of which only £1k is recovered in additional taxes (well, you could argue more from other sources, but certainly not 5k)? An unnecessarily large public sector does little but make your employment (well, you could argue strictly unemployment) figures look nicer.

oh, you're one of those.

The public sector does technically generate money. It takes takes tax money, causes public good, and then that same money gets reinvested into other areas of the economy through consumption helping them generate more money.

But regardless, why would you look to the public sector for wealth creation anyway? That's the private sector's job. The public sector is for allowing society to continue without everybody killing each other/having no government/dying of cancer/being burned alive etc.
It can definitely work at a local level, where people share out resources of energy and food. It's perfectly possible with government decentralisation. We don't have a choice, the economy can't grow forever. Resources are finite.

The economy seems to have grown for a couple of millennia.

May I recomend reading global shift by Peter Dickins. It may broaden your horizons and clarify things for you. I used to share your opinions, then I got some education on the issue.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HigherMinion
Fatality. Neil at his best, albeit it's not too hard to make the Greens squirm when you hold them to account for budgets.

I literally couldn't watch past the first minute as it felt too cruel LMAO.

It's a bit like asking 5 yr olds what they want to be and you get them saying astronaut to go see other planets, then you shatter their dreams telling them how unrealistic it is, how manned missions to other planets are practically non-existent etc.

I literally spat out my drink at that £72 a week for everyone, wtf is that...why...what? I mean you'd probably look better phrasing it as a tax cut (make it only available to tax payers since benefits given to those who aren't would already be over £72), but then....the greens should via ideology be wanting a high Scandinavian tax model.
I actually wish they were in opposition so George Osborne could humiliate their rubbish policies every week
Original post by HigherMinion
Fatality. Neil at his best, albeit it's not too hard to make the Greens squirm when you hold them to account for budgets.

Their main aim is to grow more trees of course, because that's where money grows from. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by joey11223

I literally spat out my drink at that £72 a week for everyone, wtf is that...why...what? I mean you'd probably look better phrasing it as a tax cut (make it only available to tax payers since benefits given to those who aren't would already be over £72), but then....the greens should via ideology be wanting a high Scandinavian tax model.

Universal basic income.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
Original post by Chlorophile
It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't realise that infinite economic growth breaks the laws of physics. Zero growth is inevitable - it is literally impossible to carry on growing forever. The only sustainable society is a zero growth society

It never ceases to amaze me how Greens confuse the two very basic concepts of resource consumption and economic growth, and erroneously conclude they are the same thing.

How anyone other than a complete moron could conflate the two is a mystery
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

And how are the Greens going to meet the 280 billion a year cost of the "Citizens Income"?

That of course leaves aside the fact that the Greens have said they will abolish all other benefits, leaving many of society's most vulnerable people far worse off than they were previously.

Lots of local level adds up to a not so local level.

Society can always absorb some. 'Fringe non normal activity.'

You seem to be confusing the two discrete concepts of resource consumption and economic growth.

They are not the same thing, that's pretty basic
Original post by young_guns
It never ceases to amaze me how Greens confuse the two very basic concepts of resource consumption and economic growth, and erroneously conclude they are the same thing.

How anyone other than a complete moron could conflate the two is a mystery

Right, so how exactly do you propose an infinite growth society then? In what parallel universe do you live in where every single business in existence agrees to be 100% sustainable?
Original post by young_guns
And how are the Greens going to meet the 280 billion a year cost of the "Citizens Income"?

That of course leaves aside the fact that the Greens have said they will abolish all other benefits, leaving many of society's most vulnerable people far worse off than they were previously.

Eh? What benefits give people more than £288/month?

At first I thought this idea was horrendous but on further inspection it makes a great deal of sense. Removing the benefits themselves isn't the money saver, the enormous reduction in administrative costs is. Bennett said something about the administration for childcare benefit being about 100x the cost of the benefit itself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Birkenhead

At first I thought this idea was horrendous but on further inspection it makes a great deal of sense. Removing the benefits themselves isn't the money saver, the enormous reduction in administrative costs is. Bennett said something about the administration for childcare benefit being about 100x the cost of the benefit itself.

Yup.

It's supported by right wingers as well.

Well to name a few...

Housing benefit (which just blows that ****** out of the water)
Working tax credits almost makes it (in some situations, if you consider it a benefit)
Child benefit (by some margin if you have multiple children)
Disability Living allowance (one assumes they'd not take that away though)
Bereavement allowance
One off but (Funeral payment for low income families)
ESA
Income support
PIP

...ugh there's a more few I've missed I think, so just take one of them, let alone being entitled to more than one. Basically bar a few, most of the different benefits programs can give over 288 a month individually quite easily.

Also would be interesting to see where Bennett plucks the x100 from, fair play if its accurate of course.

I do wonder how schools are to be looked at under the Greens, Ofsted scrapped, no mention of a replacement though one would assume they would inspect in some way, data on schools to form league tables becomes non-public and of course the very liberal, no evil standardized tests.
(edited 9 years ago)

I think she said it was 1% of the cost of the benefit. Administering the benefits system does not cost 280 billion a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending