The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsMoonie
Rejected from BCU :frown:((

Posted from TSR Mobile

So sorry for you :frown:

Wishing you all the best for the future, whatever it brings! x
Good luck to anyone at Leeds tomorrow - have fun! It was a great interview day last year.

And good luck to anyone else with interviews coming up!
Thank you everyone for all your lovely messages! There's always next year..
It would be a busy year for me- changing job, buying first home and getting mortgage etc so probably good it didn't work out as planned because by the time September came I would probably be a little dishevelled!

Has anyone else heard from BCU since yesterday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would be a busy year for me- changing job, buying first home and getting mortgage etc so probably good it didn't work out as planned because by the time September came I would probably be a little dishevelled!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still waiting. My interview was a week after yours. I rang them today, but no one was available, so I will try again tomorrow.
Are you going to reapply next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like what you said, what will be will be. Things do seem to turn out the way they should, even if it's not always the way we think they should. I'm sure things will work out for you, one way or another :smile:
I was devastated when I got rejected for postgraduate SLT after what felt like a really good interview a couple of years ago, but I'm now glad I did as I wouldn't have had my amazing daughter otherwise! We still moved to Sheffield and I'm very happy here, just really really really hoping to get in this time..

Posted from TSR Mobile
How long did it take people to hear from Cardiff once they handed in their app? I am trying to decide what to do about my interview for Marjon, it is going to cost me almost £400 to fly back and get trains. It's not my first or second choice, but I've not heard back from anyone else yet... Only want to spend the money if I don get offers or interviews from Cardiff met and BCU...
Original post by waddle_jl
How long did it take people to hear from Cardiff once they handed in their app? I am trying to decide what to do about my interview for Marjon, it is going to cost me almost £400 to fly back and get trains. It's not my first or second choice, but I've not heard back from anyone else yet... Only want to spend the money if I don get offers or interviews from Cardiff met and BCU...

I heard from Cardiff just after a week of applying (got an offer - they don't interview) and from BCU after about 5 weeks (interview is next week), but that did include the xmas period. Thing is, all applications are now in so everywhere is starting to dish out interviews etc so it won't be long till you hear from both of them, either one way or the other. When is your Marjon interview for?
Original post by Clivia
I like what you said, what will be will be. Things do seem to turn out the way they should, even if it's not always the way we think they should. I'm sure things will work out for you, one way or another :smile:
I was devastated when I got rejected for postgraduate SLT after what felt like a really good interview a couple of years ago, but I'm now glad I did as I wouldn't have had my amazing daughter otherwise! We still moved to Sheffield and I'm very happy here, just really really really hoping to get in this time..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw a psychic last year too and she told me I'd be pregnant by September... So maybe she's totally right!!!

I will definitely be applying again shropshirelass51! Just need to get the feedback and work on it for next year. I do live 50 miles away from BCU, but I was only going for part time but it would have taken a massive amount of the time I should be spending with my daughter before she goes to nursery.. Especially as I work 3 days a week too. So maybe it was definitely not meant to happen from the start!

I hope you hear soon. I was given a number to get directly to SLT admissions but I cannot remember it and don't think it's in my phone anywhere!

Good luck ladies and gents!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! My names Rabiya and im in my first year of studying Speech and Language therapy at BCU. If you have any questions about anything, let me know and ill be happy to help ! :smile:
Oh that's good to hear then. Interview for Marjon is on the 24th. So I think I will book flights and pay more to get a refundable ticket. Then if I get an interview for BCU or an offer from Cardiff I can cancel or change the flights.
Thanks for your response
Original post by waddle_jl

You're in Norway, right? Could you maybe ask to do a skype/telephone interview seeing as you're so far away? I managed to organise a couple last year when I was working in Germany, as flights home were just extortionate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by speechtherapy01
Hey guys! My names Rabiya and im in my first year of studying Speech and Language therapy at BCU. If you have any questions about anything, let me know and ill be happy to help ! :smile:

How is BCU?
I've got an offer from both manchester met and BCU and I'm trying to decide which to pick if I don't hear back from leeds. I feel like the main thing putting me off Birmingham is the fact the accommodation is a 20-30 minute bus journey from the south campus but I really like the idea of totally block placements too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just read an email from them that they sent at 11:31 last night inviting me to interview!! :smile: 2nd March! But it says to reply on track and my track hasn't been updated so I'm not sure what to do! Also does anyone know how long we spend at BCU over the full interview including the intro presentation etc?
Original post by aderyn96
I just read an email from them that they sent at 11:31 last night inviting me to interview!! :smile: 2nd March! But it says to reply on track and my track hasn't been updated so I'm not sure what to do! Also does anyone know how long we spend at BCU over the full interview including the intro presentation etc?

When I got an offer track also didn't update! I left it a couple of days then when it still wasn't updated I rang UCAS who told me to ring Birmingham City who told me to ring UCAS who told me to go back and ring Birmingham... However before I got to ring them again it updated so someone must have realised it was there fault!

Posted from TSR Mobile
We were at BCU for about 3 hours which included uni presentation, refreshments and written interview. There was then an optional tour which we didnt do. I would ring the University to confirm you are going. The same happened here.
Super! Thank you both! I will given them a ring after school! :smile: also did you have parents/partners with you for the presentation?
Original post by aderyn96
Super! Thank you both! I will given them a ring after school! :smile: also did you have parents/partners with you for the presentation?

Lots of people had parents or partners with them.
Hi,
The course is at the City South Campus, the surrounding area is very nice, you have Broad Street nearby which has a lot of restaurants and sociable things to do there. A short bus ride can get you into the city centre (less than 5 minutes!). A lot of people on the course staying in accommodation do get buses to the campus, so you probably won't be alone.
Overall,I am genuinely enjoying my time at the uni, it is a very comfortable, relaxed, friendly atmosphere as it is a healthcare campus.
I recommend you visit for an open day(if you havent already!) to help make your decision!

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Rabiya
Hello, i have an interview at BCU on Friday. What does the written interview entail? Will we get a one-to-one interview at all?
Thanks in advance.

Clare
I have now been offered questionnaire and interview from both unis I applied to but I'm really unsure whether I'm going to continue with my application... I've been desperate to do this course but honestly I don't think I could study full time for that long, I would miss my job too much. I'm considering going to the BCU interview to at least have a look. I also don't think I could afford to study full time and six years to study part time seems so long.
I wondered if anyone knew of any shorter or block courses (ie. distance learning where you attend a few weekends a year) in a similar field to achieve a certificate or diploma or so. This would be without the clinical placements. I found the Sheffield postgrad. I would have to save up but think I'd prefer to study this way. Anyone else feel this way?

Quick Reply

Latest