The Student Room Group

No grant

When discussing student finance with my mum I discovered that our household income is in the highest bracket and were not entitled to a grant. I know feel like uni will be such a huge burden on my family so could I realistically work whilst studying? Perhaps in the evenings at a bar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

You will still be entitled to the loans ... so they cover tuition and some of the living expenses.

Many families earn over the amount for the grant and so students save up or get a job or their parents help out.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
You will still be entitled to the loans ... so they cover tuition and some of the living expenses.

Many families earn over the amount for the grant and so students save up or get a job or their parents help out.

The loans only cover the tuition fees and the get paid directly to the uni. I won't see that money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview

You get a maintenance loan as well ...
All UK students who haven't studied before, are entitled to a non-income assessed loan. Part of the loan and all of the grant are income assessed.

There are also scholarships for grades, etc. You need to check this with the uni you're looking at going to.
Reply 5
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview

You get a maintenance loan as well ...

That will be sinking myself into more and more debt which I'd rather not do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by em211997

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't pay it back until you start earning over £21,000.

Unfortunately this is what everyone has to do. My family were in the lowest income bracket so I received a grant, but I still have a lot of loans to pay off. Everyone's in the same boat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? It's fairly low interest and you probably won't pay it off before it gets written off, unless you have a very high earning job (in which case you probably wouldn't mind paying it off + some interest). It doesn't affect your credit rating and will come out as a proportion of your salary so it's not the same burden as, for example, a credit card.

If you don't take it out AND have to work long hours this may affect your degree and future job prospects. It's possible to work in some degrees but you can't realistically have a full time job and study full time at uni.

Everyone has to do this unless they have saved; parents can't afford to pay maintenance.
Reply 9
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Why? It's fairly low interest and you probably won't pay it off before it gets written off, unless you have a very high earning job (in which case you probably wouldn't mind paying it off + some interest). It doesn't affect your credit rating and will come out as a proportion of your salary so it's not the same burden as, for example, a credit card.

If you don't take it out AND have to work long hours this may affect your degree and future job prospects. It's possible to work in some degrees but you can't realistically have a full time job and study full time at uni.

I never said full time job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Everyone has to do this unless they have saved; parents can't afford to pay maintenance.

I've decided I won't take the maintenance loan. Thanks for your advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would seriously advise you to take the maintenance loan and all the student loans and grants that are available
Reply 12
I've decided I won't take the maintenance loan. Thanks for your advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How will you do?
I don't see how you will afford it; a job won't cover living costs.
Reply 14
I don't see how you will afford it; a job won't cover living costs.

My parents have saved up a bit of money to support me. At the end of the day its a personal choice thank you for your advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by sunnydespair
I would seriously advise you to take the maintenance loan and all the student loans and grants that are available

Don't want to be in excessive debt on top of the 9k a year. If you can afford to do it then why would you agree to take money that you'll have to pay interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Josb
How will you do?

My parents have saved a bit of money in a trust fund.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SilverstarDJ

You'd barely notice it coming out of your wages each month.

https://www.gov.uk/repaying-your-student-loan/what-you-pay

The OP falls under Plan 2.
So why this thread? You said 'it will be a burden' and then admit you have a trust fund ... :confused:
Student loan is incredibly low interest, and it even gets wiped off if it's not paid within a certain amount of years. My partner pays off a little each month and it is a tiny amount, it's really not a debt to worry about.

Nearly everybody takes the maintenance loan, and they're sensible to do so. It's a great help and not a burden at all, you only pay it back when you can afford to do so comfortably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending