The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TiramisuGoomba
I just had an offer from DMU! My interview was only on Feb 24th! That's crazy!

Only applied to DMU! Sooooo happy! Also shocked because that offer (via email) was so fast! Wasn't expecting any news for ages yet!

Congratulations to everyone.

One of my conditions was evidence of Degree - but I did submit both my BA and my MA to them... Hrmmm. Anyone know?

Sorry for rambling.

Well done on your offer! That's amazing and so quick! I was at the interview on that day so fingers crossed now!!

Only applied to DMU! Sooooo happy! Also shocked because that offer (via email) was so fast! Wasn't expecting any news for ages yet!

One of my conditions was evidence of Degree - but I did submit both my BA and my MA to them... Hrmmm. Anyone know?

Sorry for rambling.

Well done. You must have done really well and be exactly what they are looking for.

Give them a ring or send them an email about your qualifications. It is probably an oversight.
For anyone else now stuck with the struggle of deciding between two very good universities...please feel free to share with me your progress on the matter! I could hardly sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about how this is a massive decision and that my life is going to change so much wahhhhhhh :confused:
Original post by Higlet
Which unis?
If better not be Leeds or I'll hunt them down!! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by being in extra??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2364
Original post by aderyn96
Well done on your offer! That's amazing and so quick! I was at the interview on that day so fingers crossed now!!

well done!! I just got one aswell, my interview was the 18th :smile:

Sorry for rambling.

Congrats!!
Well done to all those with recent offers from Manchester and DMU. Hope those still waiting hear positive news soon.
Hope everyone's interviews are going well! I'm doing speech and language therapy at the university of Manchester so if any of you have any questions then feel free to drop me a message and I'll try and reply as best I can! Good luck
Original post by gscott10
Hope everyone's interviews are going well! I'm doing speech and language therapy at the university of Manchester so if any of you have any questions then feel free to drop me a message and I'll try and reply as best I can! Good luck

I have the hard decision of choosing between Marjon and DMU... I know the main difference is the size of the year groups...Marjon having 54 places this year and DMU only 25. What would you think of that in terms of the course? I mean a big group could offer more support/larger group interested in the same degree would be nice!! But DMU may offer more individual focus and ahhhh I DUNNO. Any thoughts you have as a current student on an SLT degree would be much appreciated.:smile:
Reply 2369
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Ahhhhh got any idea at all? We can figure this out!!

Every time I think about it, Plymouth comes to my head first. Maybe that's a sign??
Reply 2370
For anyone else now stuck with the struggle of deciding between two very good universities...please feel free to share with me your progress on the matter! I could hardly sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about how this is a massive decision and that my life is going to change so much wahhhhhhh :confused:

Where have you got offers from? Maybe think about considering how you felt at the campus, what the course has to offer, distance from where you live, number of applicants they're taking in??
Original post by LT1508
Every time I think about it, Plymouth comes to my head first. Maybe that's a sign??

Yeah, Plymouth seemed sooo homely and lovely at the interview that I honestly thought IT'S THE ONE straight away!!! So I get why you're having that feeling too. I just don't know whether I'm jumping the gun overlooking DMU because it seemed pretty desirable too. But ultimately I guess go with your gut feeling! You gonna wait it out before accepting offers - since we have til May?

Sorry for rambling.

Does that mean we'll be classmates :.) :biggrin:
What does everyone mean when they say DMU cos of the funding? All the courses are funded?!

Thats my fault haha, my other offer is Strathclyde and they're not funded by the NHS meaning I'd need to pay fees.
Original post by HowayGuapa
What do you mean by being in extra??

Posted from TSR Mobile

When unis haven't filled their places in the first round of applications they reopen them so more people can apply.
Yeah, Plymouth seemed sooo homely and lovely at the interview that I honestly thought IT'S THE ONE straight away!!! So I get why you're having that feeling too. I just don't know whether I'm jumping the gun overlooking DMU because it seemed pretty desirable too. But ultimately I guess go with your gut feeling! You gonna wait it out before accepting offers - since we have til May?

Could you go to an open day to help make up your mind.
Original post by Higlet
Which unis?
If better not be Leeds or I'll hunt them down!! Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, incredibly Leeds are in there!

so are Newcastle! Which makes me wish I'd applied :frown:
Original post by gscott10

Hi, its really good to see another old friend from last years thread and I think its great for this years applicants that a variety of people from different unis pop in to assist where we can! Is Manchester going well? I am down the road at MMU (would have been your course mate at Manchester if my grades hadn't worked out). Is it how you expected it to be? Is it as manic at Manchester at this time of year as it is at MMU - its all deadlines deadlines deadlines lol
Reply 2378
I think I like the idea of having 53 other students in my year. Where as at DMU there is only an intake of 25. And also, Marjon has the dysphasia content where as at DMU you would have to go on and do a post grad.. BUT at the same time, DMU has more of a city feel where EVERYTHING is on your doorstep.

Yes I will wait until closer to May to make my decision. It's such an important one I don't want to regret my decision!! :eek:
Original post by Higlet
EXACTLY!! Like I know I should go for BCU because of the course but at the same time I'd prefer living at Manchester and I feel like there may be more 'stuff' going on at Manchester met than BCU.
Not that there will be much time to do other 'stuff' on a speech therapy course!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it bad that the thing that put me off BCU was the accent? I just didn't want to live there! Manchester is an amazing city, I visit there quite a lot and it's a great night out; it's also close to Liverpool which spices it up a bit. But then again Birmingham would also be a good city to live in!

One of of the main reasons I applied to the unis i did this time was because I wanna be closer to home, DMU is the furthest away but having gone to the open day I know it'll be fine... So maybe think about distance from home?

Also so go to another open day if you can!

Quick Reply

Latest