The Student Room Group

When did you start thinking about doing a Masters?

Poll

When did you start thinking about doing a Masters Course?

When did everyone start thinking about doing a Masters/Postgraduate course?

Were you in your final year of uni? Just after graduating uni? After working and gaining a bit of experience post degree?

For instance, I started thinking about doing a Masters after I got two years of work experience after I finished my undergraduate degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
In my second year of undergrad. Applied just after the start of my third year.
Reply 2
Started applying at the beginning of my final year of undergrad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LinnyPinny77
When did everyone start thinking about doing a Masters/Postgraduate course?

Were you in your final year of uni? Just after graduating uni? After working and gaining a bit of experience post degree?

For instance, I started thinking about doing a Masters after I got two years of work experience after I finished my undergraduate degree.

none of the above- on my gap year before starting my undergraduate degree!
Original post by jelly1000

Im in my second year now and I know that I want to do masters. 3 more years to go before I can apply though (part time course :frown: )
Original post by kukulaka
Im in my second year now and I know that I want to do masters. 3 more years to go before I can apply though (part time course :frown: )

Time flies :smile: What are you planning to do your PG in?

Original post by jelly1000

Wow.... what were you up to during your gap year that made you think you would like to do a PG after uni?

I never thought about doing a PG of any kind. After I graduated I began working in office and finance management but more and more I was taking on responsibilities that related to people. The company wanted to fund my HR training via a Masters so I had to find something that was endorsed by the CIPD. As I was based in Brum at the time I chose Aston because the HRM course was a Masters with a CIPD qualification alongside it. Plus it was part time over two years which made it more manageable alongside full time work.
I think since I started uni I've wanted to do a masters, mainly because I want to eventually be a lecturer and I need a masters and PhD to achieve this.
I had thought about it during undergrad, but not in a serious way. I didn't really have a good understanding of what an MA entailed, and thinking about it was more of a daydream. After uni, I was working full time and a new Master's degree was started at the uni I eventually attended. It was interdisciplinary and seemed to offer the perfect mix of training for the subject I knew I wanted to write my dissertation on. After that, it took me about another 9 months to decide I really wanted to do a Master's and then once I had decided it was pretty late in the day (April), and I hurriedly pulled together an application in the space of a few days. Not ideal, but I wasn't sure until that point.
Original post by She-Ra

Wow.... what were you up to during your gap year that made you think you would like to do a PG after uni?

I never thought about doing a PG of any kind. After I graduated I began working in office and finance management but more and more I was taking on responsibilities that related to people. The company wanted to fund my HR training via a Masters so I had to find something that was endorsed by the CIPD. As I was based in Brum at the time I chose Aston because the HRM course was a Masters with a CIPD qualification alongside it. Plus it was part time over two years which made it more manageable alongside full time work.

I had a lot of free time- the gap year wasn't planned as I'd missed my grades but I retook in January and didn't plan what to do after. So I then spent a lot of time looking at careers, thought oh I'd love to work for a think tank and noticed most employees had masters degrees.
Reply 9
This year (final year of undergrad). My undergrad degree is actually an integrated Masters, but I realised that it's not a subject I particularly want a career in... Doing another 1 year Masters course is thankfully a feasible way for me to alter the direction I'm going in.
Original post by She-Ra

Earth Sciences, specifically volcanism. Hopefully! 😊
Whenever I thought about undergrad, I though about doing a masters. In my home country no one leaves after undergrad, so it never seriously occurred to me. I started thinking about which specific masters half-way through my second year, when it became clear I would have the opportunity to leave the country. The default would have been to stay at my undergrad institution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending