The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by (Brian)
Wow that is a long way. Being the NHS doesn't help, at least we are getting it done for free, can't complain. Did they say to you that it's a 2 and a half year process from getting the braces to the end result?

No they didn't, at first they said 18 months, my op, then a further 6-9 months braces. So far it's been September 2012 til now, but since everything went so well I'm hoping to have my braces off within 3 months :smile: (I'll be thrilled if it's before my 21st in July). It all depends on the severity of your bite at first though and how quickly they decide to move your teeth. Plus, I was ready for my operation since July, so everything is a waiting game really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all :smile:
First of all, congratulations to everyone for taking this very brave step!

Could you please help me a bit because i'm confused with NHS? :smile: I'm a EU national and will come to the UK in September for studies. I will first consult my dentist and orthodontic here but would like to know some things before hand.
1) Do you pay for the operation? In some sites, it says you get it for free and in others that you have to pay 4000-5000 pounds.
2) If you undergo the operation while you're studying, what happens with university? Do you have to bring certain papers to prove them you're actually about to do the surgery?

If you could help me or if you'd like to comment on something, please do so :biggrin:
Good luck, courage and patience to everyone :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by anastas
Hi all :smile:
First of all, congratulations to everyone for taking this very brave step!

Could you please help me a bit because i'm confused with NHS? :smile: I'm a EU national and will come to the UK in September for studies. I will first consult my dentist and orthodontic here but would like to know some things before hand.
1) Do you pay for the operation? In some sites, it says you get it for free and in others that you have to pay 4000-5000 pounds.
2) If you undergo the operation while you're studying, what happens with university? Do you have to bring certain papers to prove them you're actually about to do the surgery?

If you could help me or if you'd like to comment on something, please do so :biggrin:
Good luck, courage and patience to everyone :smile:

What normally happens is that the orthodontist determines if your eligible for free treatment- it depends on the severity of the bite. If you wanted to have it over here you you would be committing yourself to stay in the UK most of the time. I never went through with surgery in the end but I did have the braces and I had appointments every 4-6 weeks if I remember rightly so you would need to stay here over most of summer. From what I've heard it can be a month before your well enough to function normally again so its really advisable to have the surgery over the summer or another holiday at least. You'd also probally need a lot of looking after at first - would your relatives be able to come over and care for you?
Original post by jelly1000
What normally happens is that the orthodontist determines if your eligible for free treatment- it depends on the severity of the bite. If you wanted to have it over here you you would be committing yourself to stay in the UK most of the time. I never went through with surgery in the end but I did have the braces and I had appointments every 4-6 weeks if I remember rightly so you would need to stay here over most of summer. From what I've heard it can be a month before your well enough to function normally again so its really advisable to have the surgery over the summer or another holiday at least. You'd also probally need a lot of looking after at first - would your relatives be able to come over and care for you?

I'll definitely stay in the UK for at least 3 or 4 years, to get the degree done. Does the fact that i'm not from the UK play significant role eg: i may need to pay more than UK nationals? :smile: How did you cope? :smile: My mother may be able to come to help me for some weeks.
Original post by anastas
I'll definitely stay in the UK for at least 3 or 4 years, to get the degree done. Does the fact that i'm not from the UK play significant role eg: i may need to pay more than UK nationals? :smile: How did you cope? :smile: My mother may be able to come to help me for some weeks.

I've just checked eligibility criteria and all students on courses longer than 6 months are entitled to free hospital treatment (and it counts as hospital treatment if your case is accepted as severe enough). I never went through with the operation but I read cases of people who had and they said that because you can't eat much for a few weeks after this makes you weak plus getting over anasethic for the first few days= you probally wouldnt be able to do much yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
I've just checked eligibility criteria and all students on courses longer than 6 months are entitled to free hospital treatment (and it counts as hospital treatment if your case is accepted as severe enough)

Thank you so so much for doing that!!! :biggrin: I will talk with my orthodontic and dentist and see what we can do. Thank you a lot for your help :smile:
Original post by anastas
Thank you so so much for doing that!!! :biggrin: I will talk with my orthodontic and dentist and see what we can do. Thank you a lot for your help :smile:

No worries, good luck.
Has anyone experienced a tiny 'clicking', 'cracking' sound sometimes after jaw surgery? Is that normal?? Will it go away?
Original post by Anonymous
Has anyone experienced a tiny 'clicking', 'cracking' sound sometimes after jaw surgery? Is that normal?? Will it go away?

When I eat (well, swallow food) I get a clicking on my left lower jaw at the back, it's getting a little better. I think it's just as the bones start to settle down again
Original post by rturnbull94
When I eat (well, swallow food) I get a clicking on my left lower jaw at the back, it's getting a little better. I think it's just as the bones start to settle down again

I get it in the same place, but also when I just open my jaw a little wide I can hear clicking/cracking, it's so annoying. Hopefully it will go away soon
I have have my operation 16th April. I will have had my braces on for 23 months. I'm nervous but so glad it's finally being done. I'm off to Cuba end of July for 2 weeks so timing is spot on!
So I'll be having my operation on Tuesday. Could I be more nervous? I've been feeling okay so far and I'm just feeling the anxiety now as it's getting closer.
For me, it is mostly the pain right after that worries me.
Oh I'm so scared.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marinaawesome
So I'll be having my operation on Tuesday. Could I be more nervous? I've been feeling okay so far and I'm just feeling the anxiety now as it's getting closer.
For me, it is mostly the pain right after that worries me.
Oh I'm so scared.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this is much easier said than done, but try not to worry too much. There is pain afterwards obviously but they will dose you up on painkillers as much as you need and the pain honestly wasn't unbearable.

Some things that might help are to try and sleep a bit more upright afterwards - lots of pillows behind you and lying on your back, I was worried for a while about sleeping on my side. I found warm drinks very soothing for my jaw too - I ended up drinking a lot of tea through a baby beaker for the first few weeks. Gargling with salt water is sometimes recommended too.

Speak to your surgeon/doctor if you're consultant but please try not to worry too much, it will be worth it. :smile: Good luck for Tuesday, best wishes for a quick recovery!
Original post by xlynzx
Thanks for your replies.

Had another thought - as I'm 20, would I still be able to get treatment done for free on the NHS? I've read it depends on how bad your overbite/overjet is. Spose I'll just need to wait and see :confused: .

I read somewhere once your 21 you won't be able to get the treatment for free so make an appointment asap!
Original post by Liv1204
I know this is much easier said than done, but try not to worry too much. There is pain afterwards obviously but they will dose you up on painkillers as much as you need and the pain honestly wasn't unbearable.

Some things that might help are to try and sleep a bit more upright afterwards - lots of pillows behind you and lying on your back, I was worried for a while about sleeping on my side. I found warm drinks very soothing for my jaw too - I ended up drinking a lot of tea through a baby beaker for the first few weeks. Gargling with salt water is sometimes recommended too.

Speak to your surgeon/doctor if you're consultant but please try not to worry too much, it will be worth it. :smile: Good luck for Tuesday, best wishes for a quick recovery!

Thank you so much 😘

Posted from TSR Mobile
So this is 3rd day post opp. Swelling at peak, face all numb, pain, feel like face will explode, but surprisingly I'm handling it all well with my low pain tolerance.

I'll be honest that I did vomit up the blood I swallowed during surgery the first night after opp but besides that no major issues, using the hilotherm mask was very cooling for my face

My face looks sooooo fat right now I have to look at my arms to remind myself I am not that fat lol (trying to make jokes)
Anyways besides that sleeping drinking water and nutrient drinks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 476
Original post by (Brian)
Hi, I want to ask how long was the period between putting on the braces and getting the surgery? I had my braces put on in 2013 and it has been 1 year and 3 months. I am asking this because I will be moving to Uni by September, but I doubt I will get the surgery done by the summer. They haven't even considered pulling my wisdom teeth out yet, but the ortho said that my teeth are pretty straight and in good alignment for surgery.

I had my braces put on when I was 17 in 2011, I'm now 21 and have just got my surgery date. I've gone through my A-levels, two years of uni and a placement year waiting to get to this point. It's annoying having to fit your life around appointments, but the end results will be worth it. I hope!
Hi, question to those who have already had the surgery, how long did it take you to be able to go about everyday stuff again? Not as in eating normally etc. but just to be able to (relatively) comfortably go out and meet people. I'm asking bc I need to have double jaw surgery for an underbite and it's booked for 20th august, which is worryingly close to school starting and I don't particularly want to be missing the first few weeks of the school year!
Original post by amyl.11
Hi, question to those who have already had the surgery, how long did it take you to be able to go about everyday stuff again? Not as in eating normally etc. but just to be able to (relatively) comfortably go out and meet people. I'm asking bc I need to have double jaw surgery for an underbite and it's booked for 20th august, which is worryingly close to school starting and I don't particularly want to be missing the first few weeks of the school year!

2 weeks/ on the 3rd week
I'm on my third week now and can start managing things normally, I still need rests now and then because the liquid diet and just in general you're more tired and weak, but as long as your surgery goes well with no major complications by the third week you should begin to start feeling normal again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marinaawesome
2 weeks/ on the 3rd week
I'm on my third week now and can start managing things normally, I still need rests now and then because the liquid diet and just in general you're more tired and weak, but as long as your surgery goes well with no major complications by the third week you should begin to start feeling normal again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahhh I see thanks :smile: yeah the liquid diet will be interesting haha

Latest