The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SarahBennett97
Has anyone firmed MMU yet? So scared im not going to get my grades haha :frown:
If you have, what accommodation are you going for?

Hi

I take you are going to firm MMU?

I am a first year on the joint SLT/psychology course so will be having some classes with the 2015 SLT students, though most of my second year will be spent on psychology while you do the units I have already covered this year.

If I can answer any of your questions let me know and I will try to help
Hi everyone, congratulations to all those with offers, to all those still waiting hang in there - i know what it feels like!
I have an interview at BCU this friday and i am SO worried about it! I hasnt this nervous for my other interviews, but thats probably because BCU is my first option if they give me a place. Does anyone have any advice?
Original post by Higlet
I've firmed MMU!
It's terrifying isn't it - I'm super worried about not getting the grades. But then I thought suppose I do get the grades then I'd regret not putting it as my firm!
Accommodation wise, I think I'm going to go for the Birley - although we can't apply until the 7th of April for accommodation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh you stop worrying about the grades - YOU CAN DO THIS! Stay positive - easier said than done I know (was the same last year too - worry worry) - but you will see all will be fine!
Original post by FizMalik
Hi everyone, congratulations to all those with offers, to all those still waiting hang in there - i know what it feels like!
I have an interview at BCU this friday and i am SO worried about it! I hasnt this nervous for my other interviews, but thats probably because BCU is my first option if they give me a place. Does anyone have any advice?

Do you have other offers?

Just try to stay calm and atleast BCU don't seem to mess about and take ages to reply.

Good luck
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any advice...

If I don't get a place on a speech therapy degree this year I want to go and study a psychology degree in order to apply for speech therapy postgraduate in the future.

Does anyone think it would be helpful to do a combined honours in Psychology and Communication Studies, or would this not really benefit me? I'm just thinking maybe I'm best just doing psychology to try and get the best grade I can in the end
Original post by nesca89

If I don't get a place on a speech therapy degree this year I want to go and study a psychology degree in order to apply for speech therapy postgraduate in the future.

Does anyone think it would be helpful to do a combined honours in Psychology and Communication Studies, or would this not really benefit me? I'm just thinking maybe I'm best just doing psychology to try and get the best grade I can in the end

Maybe email the postgrad courses and see what they would recommend? But if I were you I'd just pick the course I looked the like of the most :smile:
However, don't give up hope yet - sending all good luck your way for getting an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nesca89

I'd definitely email places like MMU and Manchester and Leeds where you've applied and see what they say x
Got all my fingers and toes crossed you hear good news soon so you don't have to email them!!x
Original post by AmyPilot
It was in clearing last year but don't know if that is usual - think there is an old thread on here somewhere about people applying through clearing last year (sure I haven't dreamt I saw that lol) which might give an indication about grades. SLT is rarely in clearing with most of the unis though

Ah okay apparently Birmingham goes I to clearing most years not sure whether that will happen again. Okay thanks :smile:
Original post by Butterfly9595
Maybe email the postgrad courses and see what they would recommend? But if I were you I'd just pick the course I looked the like of the most :smile:
However, don't give up hope yet - sending all good luck your way for getting an offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Ellice97
I'd definitely email places like MMU and Manchester and Leeds where you've applied and see what they say x
Got all my fingers and toes crossed you hear good news soon so you don't have to email them!!x

Thank you guys, I will email them and see what they say :smile:
Nesca, I know others have probably already mentioned this, but the postgrad SLT degrees are much more competitive than undergrad, even more than medicine (Reading has something like 30 applicants per place at postgrad, compared to 15 applicants per place at undergrad). Postgrad degrees also expect you to have more relevant experience. If you take a degree in psychology and then pin your hopes on getting into MMU's postgrad course you may not end up in a better position than where you started. I think if you really want to do SLT then you will have to consider relocating. The advice I got from qualified SLTs was to apply everywhere I could because the competition is fierce. You are really narrowing your own chances if you stick to courses that are close by. I'm keeping everything crossed for you, but it may be worth a third undergrad application to another set of unis, chosen based on how closely you fit the course ethos and requirements rather than by location.
Original post by opalescent
Nesca, I know others have probably already mentioned this, but the postgrad SLT degrees are much more competitive than undergrad, even more than medicine (Reading has something like 30 applicants per place at postgrad, compared to 15 applicants per place at undergrad). Postgrad degrees also expect you to have more relevant experience. If you take a degree in psychology and then pin your hopes on getting into MMU's postgrad course you may not end up in a better position than where you started. I think if you really want to do SLT then you will have to consider relocating. The advice I got from qualified SLTs was to apply everywhere I could because the competition is fierce. You are really narrowing your own chances if you stick to courses that are close by. I'm keeping everything crossed for you, but it may be worth a third undergrad application to another set of unis, chosen based on how closely you fit the course ethos and requirements rather than by location.

Hey, yeah I understand exactly what you're saying. My thoughts though are that I have always wanted to work with children as a speech therapist or psychologist. I have an extreme interest in both of these careers. I wanted to keep psychology as more of a hobby but putting more thought into it, I don't see why I shouldn't pursue this as a career. I would equally like to do speech therapy, so I am stuck in the middle at the moment. I feel that if I don't get into my last university this year, then maybe it wasn't meant to be as I was unsuccessful last year too. And doing a psychology degree would keep my options open... I am really undecided at the moment! :frown:
Original post by nesca89
Hey, yeah I understand exactly what you're saying. My thoughts though are that I have always wanted to work with children as a speech therapist or psychologist. I have an extreme interest in both of these careers. I wanted to keep psychology as more of a hobby but putting more thought into it, I don't see why I shouldn't pursue this as a career. I would equally like to do speech therapy, so I am stuck in the middle at the moment. I feel that if I don't get into my last university this year, then maybe it wasn't meant to be as I was unsuccessful last year too. And doing a psychology degree would keep my options open... I am really undecided at the moment! :frown:

Have you looked at the the 2015 SaLT post grad forum? You could maybe post there and find out what people who have been offered places have done their first degree in. Hopefully MMU will come through for you though.
Original post by shropshirelass51
Have you looked at the the 2015 SaLT post grad forum? You could maybe post there and find out what people who have been offered places have done their first degree in. Hopefully MMU will come through for you though.

Yeah that's a good idea actually, I'll do a little search for it now. Fingers crossed they do yeah, I read somewhere that you can go on to study clinical psychology after a career is speech therapy, it would be marvellous to do that and have the best of both worlds haha
Do you have other offers?

Just try to stay calm and atleast BCU don't seem to mess about and take ages to reply.

Good luck

I have an offer from MMU and I got rejected by Uni of Manchester, and I did find the interview at MMU easier, so I just hope BCU's questions aren't too hard!
Thank you, i'll try my best to just stay positive
Out of curiosity, is anyone on this thread waiting for University of Ulster's (Jordanstown) HPAT results for SLT coming out this week? I understand that the majority of people here are discussing courses in England/Wales and this post may get lost but thought I may as well try :tongue:. The wait is absolutely killing me.

Also - any Northern Irish mature students applying here who are struggling with funding possibilities for the undergrad? I got offers from Reading and UoM, but am waiting to see how Jordanstown goes first because poor little me will be even poorer if I have to go across the water :frown:
Original post by JaaySLT
Hi! How long did you have to wait post interview to recieve your decision?

Have sent you a PM
Original post by nesca89
Yeah that's a good idea actually, I'll do a little search for it now. Fingers crossed they do yeah, I read somewhere that you can go on to study clinical psychology after a career is speech therapy, it would be marvellous to do that and have the best of both worlds haha

Cant believe you are still waiting for news - I am sending positive vibes your way - we finish this week for Easter and a break in studies until exams in May so I hope they don't keep you hanging on much longer!

If you do go to your back up plan make sure that the joint course you are looking at is BPS accredited - I know some in my psychology classes that are doing it combined with something other than speech pathology are having difficulties concerning the accreditation - we aren't but reckon that's because we also cover psych in SLT so that's more units taken care of.

Keep smiling - you deserve a medal at the very least!
Cant believe you are still waiting for news - I am sending positive vibes your way - we finish this week for Easter and a break in studies until exams in May so I hope they don't keep you hanging on much longer!

If you do go to your back up plan make sure that the joint course you are looking at is BPS accredited - I know some in my psychology classes that are doing it combined with something other than speech pathology are having difficulties concerning the accreditation - we aren't but reckon that's because we also cover psych in SLT so that's more units taken care of.

Keep smiling - you deserve a medal at the very least!

Thank you Amy, don't worry I have already made sure it's accredited. I will be applying to the university of Liverpool through extra. I have already emailed them to ask if they would consider me. They seemed really keen and asked me to send a revised personal statement to them when I apply. So I'm trying to come up with a personal statement for psychology which is proving difficult at the moment haha. I'm hoping that I'll attract some energy from the universe and it will be sent to mmu so say basically 'look she's really trying here, and she's done ANOTHER Personal statement, just give her a place' haha. Fingers crossed!
Original post by nesca89
Thank you Amy, don't worry I have already made sure it's accredited. I will be applying to the university of Liverpool through extra. I have already emailed them to ask if they would consider me. They seemed really keen and asked me to send a revised personal statement to them when I apply. So I'm trying to come up with a personal statement for psychology which is proving difficult at the moment haha. I'm hoping that I'll attract some energy from the universe and it will be sent to mmu so say basically 'look she's really trying here, and she's done ANOTHER Personal statement, just give her a place' haha. Fingers crossed!

Well I am holding my breath here for good news for you so they had better hurry up lol!

Just thought I would mention the accreditation issue as it has caught a lot of people by surprise that are doing psychology with, say, criminology - they thought it was a joint honours be apparently if you don't major in psych its not enough so just be careful if you go down the combined course route so there are no (nasty) surprises.
Original post by FizMalik
I have an offer from MMU and I got rejected by Uni of Manchester, and I did find the interview at MMU easier, so I just hope BCU's questions aren't too hard!
Thank you, i'll try my best to just stay positive

Well good luck for BCU if its your favourite!

I think MMU and UoM changed their interview strategy a bit this year. Don't think one was harder than the other last year but they do all seem to be looking for different things from applicants. I got offers from both Manchester unis last year but didn't apply to BCU.

I am a first year at MMU if I can help there in any way let me know.

Good luck again for Friday.

Quick Reply

Latest