The Student Room Group

Non-religious Muslims, why aren't you more religious?

You might drink, or you might smoke, or you may not really pray often apart from maybe on Fridays, or you might perform sexual acts outside of marriage, or whatever else, but if you believe that Islam is the truth, why aren't you more religious?

Try not to debate please, this isn't the debate forum.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Your post is inciting debate & then you ask for no debate...
Reply 2
Original post by TornadoGR4

I am asking for people to explain their reasons; I dont intend to debate those reasons at this moment - I want to understand how non-religious Muslims think
Original post by Ruh
You might drink, or you might smoke, or you may not really pray often apart from maybe on Fridays, or you might perform sexual acts outside of marriage, or whatever else, but if you believe that Islam is the truth, why aren't you more religious?

I am not Muslim any more as I am still in confusion concerning my beliefs. But I don't partake in most of those activities apart from one but only if I am in love with the girl.

Otherwise those that claim to believe and still indulge in these forbidden acts, then they are not truly believers either that or their faith is weak or they think god is so just that he will forgive them no matter what sin they commit.

It's all a question of how you perceive your religion.
Reply 4
Original post by GeorgeTownsend
I am not Muslim any more as I am still in confusion concerning my beliefs. But I don't partake in most of those activities apart from one but only if I am in love with the girl.

Otherwise those that claim to believe and still indulge in these forbidden acts, then they are not truly believers either that or their faith is weak or they think god is so just that he will forgive them no matter what sin they commit.

It's all a question of how you perceive your religion.

I won't call them disbelievers, I would say that perhaps they don't know the gravity of what they are doing or why practicing their belief is important
"The bedouins say, "We have believed." Say, "You have not [yet] believed; but say [instead], 'We have submitted,' for faith has not yet entered your hearts. And if you obey Allah and His Messenger, He will not deprive you from your deeds of anything. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful." [49:14]

As simple as that. They say they believe but they don't believe with all of their hearts. Their faith is not strong enough yet to guide their actions.
Reply 6
Original post by Ruh
If you believe that Islam is the truth, why aren't you more religious?

PRSOM Excellent post sister Ruh. :smile:

To those who might be 'undecided', please do not hesitate to pm us or ask us questions (ISOC) on anything you are unsure of, we don't bite!
It's never too late, but also lets not forget we aren't in this Dunya for ever...
I don't plan to marry till I'm 30 and unsurprisingly I don't want to be a 30 year old Virgin

Does that mean I'm going to sleep around with everything that moves? No.

I really hate when some Muslims try to take the moral high ground. All the Muslims at college are like this - they'll say how bad non Muslims are for getting into relationships, yet they themselves chase after the Muslim girls and still check out and lust after them.

Massive Hippocrites
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TornadoGR4

Original post by Ruh
I won't call them disbelievers, I would say that perhaps they don't know the gravity of what they are doing or why practicing their belief is important

Already a debate :colonhash:
Reply 9
I'll answer for you, OP. :smile: Because they are either ashamed of being Islamic, or cannot uphold or live out standards enforced upon or expected from them, or have come to some realisation of what they consider flaws in Islamic culture. Simple.
If smoking is haram then tell that to all those freshies who smoke sheesha sticks
no motivation, laziness if anything.
Reply 12
Original post by Nucleotide
If smoking is haram then tell that to all those freshies who smoke sheesha sticks

I do
Reply 13
I can personally answer this one

It is disbelief/agnosticism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruh
I do

Do you play chess/have you played chess ever in your life?
Because it's not in them. There heart no longer has the faith or belief after being let down one too many times,they find something or someone else to hold onto,to hold all their focus on. You call them weak but I believe these people are not weak. For they're are the ones who have had to bear it all and for once they want to be in control of what happens to their life,not being forced to do something which their heart doesn't want. It's like expecting you to live your life if you were born into a different religion as a Sikh,Hindu or even Jew because you could've been,anythings possible. Want if your heart didn't want it. You had to love your life a lie for what? To go in the 'fire of hell' anyway for not believing. The world these days is so naive that they not longer think for themselves. Yes we may not be able to handle it,we're too weak,so called kafirs! But believe you me we are the ones who are most educated in this religion and we've left because there's something's that completely and utterly take all the rights a human could have away.
Meh
I think it's quite obvious actually.

Because they don't believe mindlessly that anything that religious authorities or scripture says is necessarily a reflection of the will of God because, obviously, they are man-made.

Whatever reason they have to believe that God exists and is a particular way, is very distinct from the justifications that "conventional Muslims" use for them acting Islamic. Often they are philosophical rather than theological.

Obviously they still call themselves "Muslim" because they were raised in an Islamic household and agree with the basic theological beliefs of Islam, that same sort of abrahamic god.

It is very difficult to sensibly argue how non promiscuous relationships would be immoral without already assuming the truth of Islamic scripture or the claims of Islamic authorities - and there is very little reason, objectively to do that.

There are many serious theological problems with praying to a God ritually many times a day as well.

Obviously I'm not Muslim but I'm ex-Catholic and saw the same thing with "Catholics" all the time who still used contraception and still had sex outside of marriage and so on.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Indeterminate
Family and upbringing I guess. Apart from fasting and charity work, we don't really do anything. Now, I don't smoke/drink (by choice) but I have had quite a few physical relationships. IMO it's ok to do whatever as long as you're not hurting people.

Yep, we're both in the same boat. I completely agree with you!
Original post by Ruh

Hate the sin, not the sinner. You come across very judgmental. Yes young (and older) muslims may commit sins but as long as they believe in 1 God and that Muhammad peace be upon him is the last prophet then they are still muslim.
There can be a number of reasons for committing these sins and unfortunately as is normal within asian culture we are not a very forgiving people, we do not encourage change gentley and kindly instead we are quick to point fingers and to punish.
There is a huge lack of islamic education within the muslim community and this gives way to our nafs controlling us rather than the other way around

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending