The Student Room Group

Can only manage 20 pushups

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by WilliamG
Check this link for a good routine for push ups

What's funny is, I saw this thread and remember someone telling me about this and how it works quite well. So i found the website and am starting from week 3 for push ups, squats, dips and sit ups all at the same time (I know you're meant to do one at a time but **** that). I was well above the mark on them all but not near the "ultimate goal" (ie 100 push ups)

Then i come on here and someone has suggested it.

So we shall see if it lives up to any expectation (It's good someone else recommended it)
Reply 41
thats 19 more than i can do...
Hmm that's strange. I can do about 30 (proper) push ups and I got to that number by doing push ups as a warm up at my tae kwon doe class. I went to that class 2 times a week for about a year.

I used to be able to do around 40 but I havent gone to tae kwon doe for 2 years
Reply 43
Press ups aren't really a test of chest strength, they're more of a test of muscular endurance. strength is when you lift MORE, endurance is when you do the same weight but more reps.

If you want to be able to do lots of pressups, heres what i did and i got up to doing 63 in 1 set.
Do as many as you can till you physically can't do another, rest 60 seconds, do as many as you can, rest 60 seconds, repeat. Do that untill you reach 100 press ups, do that once a day and when that becomes too easy (you can reach 100 press ups in roughly 2-3 sets) then up the number to 150, then 200 and so on
Reply 44
Take into account how much you weigh.
Original post by desijut
What's funny is, I saw this thread and remember someone telling me about this and how it works quite well. So i found the website and am starting from week 3 for push ups, squats, dips and sit ups all at the same time (I know you're meant to do one at a time but **** that). I was well above the mark on them all but not near the "ultimate goal" (ie 100 push ups)

Then i come on here and someone has suggested it.

So we shall see if it lives up to any expectation (It's good someone else recommended it)

It's unrealistic in progression, unless you're only doing partial reps. Just find where you're at and increase the reps at the speed your progress allows, likely much slower than the program.
Try the 100 pushup challenge routine: http://hundredpushups.com/index.html
Reply 47
Original post by TooEasy123
It's unrealistic in progression, unless you're only doing partial reps. Just find where you're at and increase the reps at the speed your progress allows, likely much slower than the program.

yeah, it looks very unrealistic, hence why im trying it :P
Reply 48
I started to plateau with my push-ups so I started to wear a weighted rucksack. Added 15kg to it and now I'm making gains in strength again. Like you I work out at home, give it a go!
They're 'press-ups', you stupid Yanks. :sigh:
Reply 50
Original post by zenkasas
Please subscribe to this old body builder on youtube he has been a bodybuilder for a long time and he never had an injury.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAzklE8Ffwc&feature=plcp

When i read this, i literally thought "Oh god, it's probably scooby".
AND THEN IT WAS!

(Also, didn't he break his arm or something a few months ago?)
Dude, have you never heard the song. "Push it to the limits" Well there you go. No pain no gain. Don't push yourself to the extent where you get complete muscle failure, but at least tell yourself to do that bit more everyday. It may also help to do your push-ups earlier on in the day. At night the muscles can be to weak, and any exercise you do, just tires your muscles not strengthening them. :smile:
Reply 52
People who say doing more than 50 press-ups takes years of training is talking ....

I can manage 73 in 2 minutes, and i have not been working out since November 2011. I tested this 10 minutes ago. Some people are just weaker than others.

To improve try a variety of different styles of press-ups, just don't try superman press-ups because they're extremely difficult and make one feel weak.

Clap press-ups
incline
etc
Reply 53
Original post by wenger16
When i started working out i could do 5 push ups now i can still only do 35 in one go. But my bench has increased from like 20kg to 90kg. weird aint it

no human's max bench is 20kg. why lie to try and your achievement sound better.
Reply 54
Original post by sconter
no human's max bench is 20kg. why lie to try and your achievement sound better.

dont get it what?? :confused:
I can do 40 and I only started bothering to try recently :tongue: I've been doing several lots everyday; and I'm far from in any way in shape lol I used to never be able to do even 10 a few years ago and I was in far better shape; however sit ups I used to be able to do like loads, now I can't do very many at all -_- ironic much? anyway; I'd say just try pushing it to see how many you can do till you fail but don't injure yourself) when I first started them a couple of months ago I could only do about 25/30.
Reply 56
Original post by stayce88
After practicing for a year I would expect you to be able to do more. Do you do till failure every day?
I do press ups when I get bored, if im at home and im watching tv every time there is an advert break I will do press ups till the programme starts again...

Lol, I do this, everytime I get out my seat, I have to do 15-20 pressups before I can sit down again

I think I have OCD lol
Reply 57
Original post by wenger16
dont get it what?? :confused:

A 5 year old girl could bench 20kg lol
Practice everyday I could only do 20 and then after practice for about a week 100 was no problem.
Original post by zKlown
Lol, I do this, everytime I get out my seat, I have to do 15-20 pressups before I can sit down again

I think I have OCD lol

So do I.

Quick Reply

Latest