The Student Room Group

How much can you bench?

I'm 16 years old, weigh 78kg and can only bench 75kg. How much much can you bench, how old are you and what do you weigh?

Posting anonymously because I'm embarrassed.

Scroll to see replies

140kg
I am at 70 age 26 years. What do you think about my weight? It this too much at this age?
Reply 3
1 rep or multiple?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 16 years old, weigh 78kg and can only bench 75kg. How much much can you bench, how old are you and what do you weigh?

Posting anonymously because I'm embarrassed.

That's nothing to be embarrassed about ha, it's pretty good for a 16 y/o.
I like how most guys just add on an extra 20kg or whatever when someone asks them.
You can bench your own body weight. What are you complaining about?

Im 24. 82kg and can do 3x10 70kg as of today. woop woop!

Dont bother with all this 1RM cobblers. Its just point scoring off each other and pointless in my opinion.
As a man you're supposed to be able to bench almost twice ur body weight. I'm 5'11 and 72.5 kg/160 lb like. Once I learned that I went for it ages ago and now can bench 100kg with slightly wide grip, 1 set...which is normally 5+ reps.
It's not about the amount of weight, it's about whether or not you're doing it with the correct form. With that being said, my 3 rep max is only 70kg haha XD.

Original post by Man.bear.pig
As a man you're supposed to be able to bench almost twice ur body weight. I'm 5'11 and 72.5 kg/160 lb like. Once I learned that I went for it ages ago and now can bench 100kg with slightly wide grip, 1 set...which is normally 5+ reps.

Who said that?
(edited 8 years ago)
141kg
I weight 56kg and bench only 50... I dont even go gym I need to start ffs!
Original post by Dilzo999
It's not about the amount of weight, it's about whether or not you're doing it with the correct form. With that being said, my 3 rep max is only 70kg haha XD.

Who said that?

What do you mean who said that? Trained experts. Anything else is weak. You know you're strong when you can left your own body weight but when you can lift a bit more for at least 1 full rep, you're building. It's pointless to be 70 kg and benching 40kg. That's a full grown man benching a small child :rofl: You picking your little sister up isn't a workout. You picking your mate up or someone bigger than you is and carrying him around is. It's effectively the same thing with 1.5x your body weight :yy:
Reply 11
Original post by RacerBoy
I am at 70 age 26 years. What do you think about my weight? It this too much at this age?

That's kind of normal. Some teenagers are about 60ish kg.
Reply 12
I've only ever been to the gym once and I know that I can easily do 10 reps of 30kg and that's not even my maximum. I'm 15 years old and weigh about 60 kg. I think my maximum would probably be in the 50s.
What do you mean who said that? Trained experts. Anything else is weak. You know you're strong when you can left your own body weight but when you can lift a bit more for at least 1 full rep, you're building. It's pointless to be 70 kg and benching 40kg. That's a full grown man benching a small child :rofl: You picking your little sister up isn't a workout. You picking your mate up or someone bigger than you is and carrying him around is. It's effectively the same thing with 1.5x your body weight :yy:

I doubt a trained expert has said that "Not benching 2x your body weight means you're not a man", I think you underestimate how much of the population can't bench 2x their body weight.
I doubt a trained expert has said that "Not benching 2x your body weight means you're not a man", I think you underestimate how much of the population can't bench 2x their body weight.

I said almost twice. There's a huge difference between 1.5x your body weight and 2x your body weight. That's like 75 pound difference :indiff: And I never mentioned anything about being a man or not lol. But instead of getting defensive because you can't lift that much, get in the gym :yy:

And if you look at what I said in the first post you even quoted, I stated that I don't even lift 1.5x my body weight. I said should be able to, which means get in gym and train to that as a goal :confused:
At my fittest I could do 80K (was 17, dunno how much i weighed) but this year I've been bare lazy. Fixing that **** up though before Uni.
I said almost twice. There's a huge difference between 1.5x your body weight and 2x your body weight. That's like 75 pound difference :indiff: And I never mentioned anything about being a man or not lol. But instead of getting defensive because you can't lift that much, get in the gym :yy:

And if you look at what I said in the first post you even quoted, I stated that I don't even lift 1.5x my body weight. I said should be able to, which means get in gym and train to that as a goal :confused:

You still aren't understanding. Most people can't even lift 1x their bw. You said trained experts say you should be benching twice your bw? Please show your source, cause that is absolute bullsh*t.
You still aren't understanding. Most people can't even lift 1x their bw. You said trained experts say you should be benching twice your bw? Please show your source, cause that is absolute bullsh*t.

I never said twice your weight. Again and again. You need to calm down and hit the gym up and just lift, seriously, instead of badgering me. And source? I have several online sources that you can find for yourself, but my main source is my trainer. Get one, Mr. 70kg lifting only 3 times :yy:

**but when you're googling :colonhash: plz do google 1.5x your body wt. :wink: As that is what I said.
(edited 8 years ago)
@Dilzo999 Here let me help you: Just google: perfect rep 1.5 body weight. Scroll around, eh? But I'd seriously recommend the gym and a fitness expert, not google and links and sources and bull****.
I can sit on all the benches. Don't know why it matters how much they weigh... this one looks cool

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest