The Student Room Group

Grey hairs at 23??!

So around sometime last year I found 2 long grey strands of hair, tbh I didnt think much of it and just cut them out, and forgot about it. But today, I seem to have found a cluster of grey hairs and some roots that appear greying. In total, probably around 15 strands of grey hair. I'm surprised as to how I didnt notice them until now as my hair is black and they stand out, but im also now kind of concerned by this sudden onset of more greys. Could this be caused by some hormonal imbalance or something? Bit worried!

Scroll to see replies

damn, idk if its that uncommon. I know one guy who is 19 and most of his hair is grey, he looks like 35 :/
Do you dye your hair a lot?
Original post by Anonymous
So around sometime last year I found 2 long grey strands of hair, tbh I didnt think much of it and just cut them out, and forgot about it. But today, I seem to have found a cluster of grey hairs and some roots that appear greying. In total, probably around 15 strands of grey hair. I'm surprised as to how I didnt notice them until now as my hair is black and they stand out, but im also now kind of concerned by this sudden onset of more greys. Could this be caused by some hormonal imbalance or something? Bit worried!

Might just be stress
Stress, vitamin deficiency?
Stress/vitamin defiency/genetics.
Reply 6
I found a white hair in my beard this morning; "One down", I thought to myself, triumphantly.
Really not an issue. Just die it if it annoying you. Hair loss is what would suck lol.
Reply 8
Original post by peanutbuttercup
Do you dye your hair a lot?

Have never dyed my hair. :/
Reply 9
Original post by elohssa_33
Really not an issue. Just die it if it annoying you. Hair loss is what would suck lol.

Its not overly concerning at the moment, but I dont want to go completely grey really young. I havent dyed my hair ever, and I would hate the hassle and damage that comes with dying hair regularily. Whats the point of dying it when in a few weeks the grey continues to grow from scalp?
Original post by ChampEon
Might just be stress

:frown: Maybe.
I go through phases of both greys and hair falling out, have done for a couple of years now. I'm 25.

I put it down to stress. It all dies down once I'm back to full mental capacity, and am currently grey free.
You should go to the doctor, anything out of the ordinary can be a sign of something serious or minor. However, some people just get grey hair early. I know some people who did when we just started secondary school.
Original post by Danno190
I go through phases of both greys and hair falling out, have done for a couple of years now. I'm 25.

I put it down to stress. It all dies down once I'm back to full mental capacity, and am currently grey free.

Well that is a bit reassuring, thanks!
:frown: Maybe.

When I don't get enough sleep and it's exam season, I grow orange hairs on my chin despite being South Asian lol. My doctor says stress can cause hair discolouration or greying so I wouldn't worry too much!

Just embrace it. My hair has natural silver highlights now and it looks awesome. (I'm 29)
No big deal, just dye your hair if you're that bothered.

Once you actually lose your hair you will dream of the day when you worried about greys.
Reply 17

Some people can grey young sometimes it genes I knew a male friend of mind who started greying at 21 be proud.
You're probably stressing out about the grey hair and that's greying it out all the more!
:smile:

Original post by Mad Vlad
Just embrace it. My hair has natural silver highlights now and it looks awesome. (I'm 29)

Yeah make yourself sound more attractive why don't you?
::hmpf:
My boyfriend is 20 and has probably 20 at just the front of his head. It happens to everyone at a different age. He initially blamed it on stress, but now he's more relaxed there's still just as much growing at the roots.

Quick Reply

Latest