The Student Room Group

How did you choose what your doing in University?

Hey everyone!

I'm in my last year of High School(as we call it in North America), and I'm really stuck on what I want to do later in life... Nothing really appeals to me and makes me say man I want to do THAT for the rest of my life.

So I was just wondering, how did you guys choose what you want to do for the rest of your life, even if you aren't in uni right now?

Also, how did you choose your university?

Thanks!
xWanderlustx
Reply 1
Original post by xWanderlustx
Hey everyone!

I'm in my last year of High School(as we call it in North America), and I'm really stuck on what I want to do later in life... Nothing really appeals to me and makes me say man I want to do THAT for the rest of my life.

So I was just wondering, how did you guys choose what you want to do for the rest of your life, even if you aren't in uni right now?

Thanks!
xWanderlustx

Hello :smile: im not sure if what im gonna say will be of any use so if it isn't useful just use it as a comment to help bump the thread.

I originally applied to uni to do a games design course knowing it wasn't the course i wanted to do (not smart right? haha) i thought i would just get in then change to a different similar degree but realized that even the one i wanted to change to was too difficult/ i didn't find it interesting anymore so i dropped out and re applied to a different uni and degree.

At this point i realized there was nothing that really interested me other than a game art degree but when i applied i didn't get game art but animation instead, took me a day to decide and i accepted. i didn't accept cause i wanted to do animation, i have the drive to do animation and id be happy to be an animator in the future but if i don't end up becoming one id be okay with that too. i think you could go with something broad so that if you end up changing your mind later on, since nothing is set in stone! you should really just chose based on what your interests are.
Original post by heyoka
Hello :smile: im not sure if what im gonna say will be of any use so if it isn't useful just use it as a comment to help bump the thread.

I originally applied to uni to do a games design course knowing it wasn't the course i wanted to do (not smart right? haha) i thought i would just get in then change to a different similar degree but realized that even the one i wanted to change to was too difficult/ i didn't find it interesting anymore so i dropped out and re applied to a different uni and degree.

At this point i realized there was nothing that really interested me other than a game art degree but when i applied i didn't get game art but animation instead, took me a day to decide and i accepted. i didn't accept cause i wanted to do animation, i have the drive to do animation and id be happy to be an animator in the future but if i don't end up becoming one id be okay with that too. i think you could go with something broad so that if you end up changing your mind later on, since nothing is set in stone! you should really just chose based on what your interests are.

Oh this is helpful, thank you! I just want to see how everyone choose theirs, so I can find on how to attack what I want to do... I'm leaning towards business, but I'm not sure yet...
Hey everyone!

Thanks!
xWanderlustx

Hello,

Well first of all, when I start looking at university.
I was looking for what I was good at but didn't have much of a professional passion for. I was looking at doing Computer Science, I enjoyed it but only for fixing my own computers and being nerdy for friends and what not.
As I was looking I started to realise it really wasn't what I wanted to do.
I started looking at what I was good at and what I was passionate in and found my course in Drama in the Community at BGU in Lincoln. Best thing I ever did. It gives me a lot of options afterwards and keeps my career choices open!

I choose it by looking through UCAS and places that offered the course or similar and then attending open days and just deciding whether how the course sounded was for me and if I could picture myself attending the university/living there.
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello,

Well first of all, when I start looking at university.
I was looking for what I was good at but didn't have much of a professional passion for. I was looking at doing Computer Science, I enjoyed it but only for fixing my own computers and being nerdy for friends and what not.
As I was looking I started to realise it really wasn't what I wanted to do.
I started looking at what I was good at and what I was passionate in and found my course in Drama in the Community at BGU in Lincoln. Best thing I ever did. It gives me a lot of options afterwards and keeps my career choices open!

I choose it by looking through UCAS and places that offered the course or similar and then attending open days and just deciding whether how the course sounded was for me and if I could picture myself attending the university/living there.

Thank you!!!
Reply 5
Hey everyone!

Thanks!
xWanderlustx

Try not to get too hung up on the whole 'rest of your life' thing :smile: Lots of people don't end up going into the field that they study at university - it just gives you the option to. There are lots of jobs that you just need a degree for, many of which you probably haven't even heard of but which use the skills you've developed while studying. You never know what you're going to end up doing!
Reply 6
Oh this is helpful, thank you! I just want to see how everyone choose theirs, so I can find on how to attack what I want to do... I'm leaning towards business, but I'm not sure yet...

Is business the only thing your leaning towards or are there other things you might want to do?
Would English Lit be a good as a general degree that opens up a lot of doors?
Original post by heyoka
Is business the only thing your leaning towards or are there other things you might want to do?

I'm thinking of getting 2 language minors, Spanish, and either Protuguese or another European language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending